Chris McG F-86 Sabre Dog build blog

Thank you both, Phil and Dwain.

In fact, I’m planning two of those but the exact position of the second one is ‘secret’ for the time being and will be revealed in due time… angel

Still no glue delivered, but it isn’t a drama as I have plenty of others things to handle.

I got the wing jig back on the building board, had a lot of planks prepared for the aft fuse and started working on the fuse wing plate… yes

Cheers and keep safe, gents

Chris

Hello to all,

Just a small bite, but a bite anyhow.

The wing bolt plate got its blind nuts and part of it removed to give room for the aileron torque rods.

1252_wing_plate_900.jpg

I’m afraid I just copied Phil’s cut out as far as I could interpret his pics. blush

… youppieyeah… I received my parcel from SLEC today. Entirely not their fault as the postman explained our Bpost is totally overwhelmed with parcels and deliveries from online orders as a result of our confinement. The same with DPD, UPS, DHL and other parcels services. And of course, we had that official holiday last Monday.

No probs, more than ever now, patience is a virtue… angel

Now I’m also the proud owner of those SLEC aileron torque rods… Let’s hope that Phil can stand my daft questions about them in the (near?) future…

Hakuna matata & stay clear all

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR Torque Rods Control

Hi Mark,

Thank you for your very motivating comments.

Just a short session at La Grotte but with the recent glue arrival, I needed to have some planking done. angel

Not that much really, but it seems to be the same as a bike ride, it came back very fast. cool

I also digged up an old ‘test wing section’ that I made some years ago during my Ballerina build.

I will use it now as an additional TM Plan for further testing of Fred’s Sauce in combination with my planned final paint job…

Cheers and stay clear all

Chris

Hello again,

The second session of planking got achieved as well and is still drying.

Now, after the last ‘full length’ planks, the shorter planking up to the wing TE is progressing quite faster.

The bottom of the fuse is amazingly 'flatter' than I thought. But no sheeting here as I prepared way too many planks anyway... blush

1254_bottom_planking01_900.jpg

I guess I will have to start that Sauce & Paint testing sooner than I thought. wink

Still alternating the jobs, the port wing ribs are almost all prepared for gluing up soon. yes

Hakuna matata & stay clear all, please

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR TM Control

Hi to all,

I had a start with the Sauce test piece so I can add a third item to the TM plan.

I wrote before that I will use a wing section that I made when building Peter’s Ballerina, using the bottom of the airfoil this time.

It’s 3mm Depron test piece glassed with 18g fiber using water based hard varnish. LE and TE are short strips of balsa.

I gave Fred’s Sauce a few drops of Carmin acrylic but forgot about the fact that Carmin is very translucent. After a light sanding, I gave it another coat with Umber mixed in which will give a better contrast.

1228_test_sauce_900.jpg

When preparing some Sauce, it’s better to foresee a small container with a lid allowing to use it without problem during several days.

As the pic shows, there are a lot of brush strokes probably due to the cheap nylon brush. blush

Never had that before so back to the good quality artist brush that I used earlier.

Hakuna matata & stay safe all

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR NACA 3414 Control

Hello again,

Unfortunately, the ‘sky was crying’ all day here in BE.

Close to impossible to work outside to sand the test piece… frown

A little planking will do instead, I guess.

1257_bottom_planking02_900.jpg

Getting there slowly… cool

Hakuna matata & stay clear all

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR Rain Control

Thank you, John.

You know, this is really the easy part of the planking especially compared to the tail end. yes

I really like it more and more. In fact, I've even been making some sketches for a small - +/- 400mm - 'Chris Craft' or 'Runabout' type motorboat...

Iris is doing well, thanks. As our confinement has been a bit 'relaxed' since the beginning of the week, she's partly back to the office & homeworking half time.

Gaston has a bit of problems with his sanity mask as the rubber bands interfere somehow with the size of his 'auditive sails'... devil

Cheers

Chris

Hi out there,

I made a start on gluing the first ribs of the port wing using a ‘dummy’ top spar to check the alignment.

My trusty Duplos and my sandbags are still ‘part of the deal’ here. cool

I do realize it all looks a bit ‘amateur’ but it just works for me… besides the fact that I don’t have any Campbell soup tins at hand…

Sarcastic smiles at the back of the classroom are fully allowed though… wink

1278_port_wing01_900.jpg

While the Aliphatic was drying, I took the opportunity of a dry weather outside to attack the wing test-piece. (to be continued) ...

(continued)

A few words of explanation for those interested. The white ‘lane’ at the bottom is just the glassed Depron as it was before the Sauce test.

The pink lane is the sanded Carmin first coat while the rest is the later mixed coat offering a better contrast.

1230_test_sauce02_900.jpg

The sanding of the mixture is fast and easy, but the thin Depron and glassing are a bit too soft. They tend to ‘sag’ showing the spars and ribs too easily. blush

No probs, as this will not be the case with the Dog’s wooden sheeting and the thicker glass cloth.

Hakuna matata & stay safe, please

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR Sagging Control

Hello again,

Clouded sky here in BE, but at least dry and no wind.

Perfect for a partial coat of yellow to the test piece.

1245_test_yellow_900.jpg

As you can notice, I decided to try without a primer coat, but the yellow has some difficulties to cover the brownish underground. 'Nice try', but I will use a thin primer coat for the Dog.

As Jean Gabin, a French movie comedian, said at the end of his life: “Now I know, I know that we never know”… cool

While that was drying, I went on with the fuse planking… and got it completed…

1264_bottom_planking03_900.jpg

As from today, the last fuse plank is a fact. smiley

Hakuna matata & stay clear

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR Primer Control

Thank you both, John & Phil. yes

As I mentioned in my OP, the planking experience was one of the main reasons to start the Sabre build.

Now with that part done, I can't really 'stop' the build now, can I?

By the way, I never used to totally sheet a wing either. Let that be a valid reason to persevere then... cool

Speaking of sheeting, I have a question, please... angel

I duly noted Phil's method of sheeting with the pins to the main spar, the weighted down TE and the 'baton/pinned' LE.

But do all the concerned parts (ribs, TE, LE, hinge blocks, etc.) get some glue at once?

In fact, using Deluxe Aliphatic mainly, I'm somehow afraid that the glue will start to go off before having the time to getting the sheeting properly in place.

I noticed my PVA (Belgian brand Soudal) is 'slower' to start drying. Should I preferably use PVA then?

Thank you in advance for the mountains of perfectly structured advices. wink

Cheers

Chris

Hi,Chris !

As you can see in my blog -begin ,i glue the sheets together before glueing them on the ribs. This way i can sand the skins in advance.

If you sand the skin after offering it to the wing ,then you sand more on top of the ribs and less between the ribs.(you push the sheeting down) Result :a golf terain !

There's only 2 glues in my shop :epoxy and zap ,red and green.

Cheers friend !

Hija Dirk,

... and thanks for your reply.

Yep, I saw your method of 'joining' sheets on different blogs. yes

That's exactly what I did including the sanding while they were flat on the board.

The sheeting is also cut with the correct angle at the root and an small overhang (about 15mm) at the LE, TE and wingtip. So far, so good, I guess... angel

My main question was regarding the glue to use to have enough time to pin/weight it down. In my case, Aliphatic or PVA?

I don't have CA - which I suppose the Zap products are.- as I never used it before.

Anyhow, a big thanks for your answer. cool

I can only hope to get some clues about which glue to use.

Cheers & stay safe, mate

Chris

Hi Chris,

Either of those two will do the job and as long as it isn’t really hot while you are doing it, will give you time to get it in the right place and pinned down.

If it was me, I’d be using Aliphatic. (The normal stuff, not the superphatic)

Cheers

Mark

Hi Mark,

Thank you so much for answering my query.

After I got your reply, I did spend some time doing some testing with both of the glues. cool

At ambient temperature - 21 > 23°C - in La Grotte, both glues are starting to 'take off' between 4 & 6 minutes.

I then made a 'bain-marie' with water out of the fridge at 7°C and had the glues cooling off in it for some time.

The result for both was then a working time of 8 to 9 minutes. A lot better as it is then controllable/repeatable for this use.

I'll stick to your advice and use the Aliphatic. yes

Thanks again & stay safe, Mark

Cheers

Chris

Sorry Chris, been away from my PC most of the weekend.

Regarding your question - But do all the concerned parts (ribs, TE, LE, hinge blocks, etc.) get some glue at once? - Yep - all the top surfaces of all these components got a good coating of (in my case) white PVA before the top skins were weighted and pinned and battoned down.

Apols for slow reply.