Chris McG F-86 Sabre Dog build blog

Hello out there,

Sometimes one has to take a bit of distance from the building board.

I thought inserting some time for pondering during the WE was on the order.

This included some BBQ-time and obviously the British Grand Prix, even with the 'bad-luck-forfait' of Hulkie...

Mentally ready for La Grotte now, starting tomorrow.

Cheers & keep safe, gents

Chris

Well, enjoy your weekend! - you have a bit more time to complete your masterpiece now Chris, I assume you have seen my note here in the forum and on the PSSA website about the deferral of our Mass Build until 2021...

But like Lewis with his delaminated tyre, don't take your foot off the gas too much! - it will soon be May!

Hi again,

Back to the aileron shrouds then.

Not a lot of words as the ‘tool’ worked as planned… cool

1440_hinge_shroud01_900.jpg

I then prepared the four 0,8mm ply shrouds, cutting them simply with a steel ruler and a Stanley knife.

With a new blade, only three light passes are all it needs to obtain a clean cut.

1441_hing_shroud02_900.jpg

This is just a dry test as it will need a bit of sanding and inside tapering towards the aileron LE to minimize the risk of binding.

Anyhow, I can already foresee a lot of adjustments before gluing everything in… frown

@ Phil > oops, forgot to answer you, but yep, I’ve been reading about the postponement of the Sabre’s Orme fly-in to next year. So, I might be ready by then… angel

Hakuna matata & stay alert, gents

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR Shrouds Control

Hello out there,

Still a bit too warm here in BE...

Nevertheless I managed to have some progress with refining/sanding back the aileron ply shrouds.

Also managed to have the port and starboard torque rod bent to shape and drilled the port aileron TE accordingly, I hope. indecision I might then proceed with the second one...

As foreseen, every bit now needs to be adjusted till we get a nice fit.

Pics to follow sooner than later... cool

A few matata here, but stay safe all

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR Adjustments Control

Thanks for bringing a big smile here, Phil.

I can't imagine the Chief forgetting his torque rod bearers though... but then even Peter M admitted making two left fuselage sides in his earlier times. frown

I was very lucky this time as I even taped the plastic bearers to the rods. cool

... and if somebody is wondering, I even managed to distribute the bearers equally to their respective rods... four at each side, IIRC... angel

Cheers & keep cool everybody

Chris

Hi to all still present,

Slow progress, but still progress. The high temps - 29 > 30°C - inside La Grotte are very probably a main factor as it makes it a bit hard these days. hot

I had the hinge shrouds adjusted and glued with Aliphatic, both port and starboard.

1445_hing_shroud_900.jpg

The port torque rod went in with epoxy on the bearers.

Please note the presence of the correct four bearers here… angel

1449_torque_rod_900.jpg

And the session was completed with the fixing of the starboard torque rod.

This one must have four bearers as well as I only had eight to begin with… cool

1453_torque_rod02_900.jpg

Then it was time for a well deserved apéro… make it a couple of them just for ‘cooling down’ purposes… cocktail cocktail

Hakuna matata & stay safe all

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR Temp Control

Hi there for those still alive,

As predicted, La Grotte was like a kiln oven when I got there. surprise

I still managed to have the TE fixed part ‘channeled’ to get over the torque rod.

1458_fixed_te_900.jpg

I used a homemade tool again to help me sanding the recess to be just over the bearings diameter.

I just forgot the take a pic, but no State Classified Secret at all… angel

It’s just a long Allen key receiving a layer of sanding paper to form a 5mm diameter unit, close to an ‘agricultural’ look but still a very usable sanding device.

1459_adjusting_aileron_900.jpg

I then made the final adjustments and sanding of the ailerons now being ready to be glassed later on.

With the hope to survive the session, I made a quick mix of my favourite Bob Smith epoxy, but alas the 30min-type started its polymerisation after just 15 min.

Not a great time to start glassing some bits at all here in BE… frown

Hakuna matata & stay cooled all

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR Temp #2 Control

Thanks, John.

Regarding the chocolates, as we consider our 'national' ones as being our 'Brown Gold', we are very cautious with them. wink

They now are safely stored in the refrigerator... yes

Together with our Belgian Jupiler Pils, albeit for a very different reason. cool

Cheers & best of luck with your Fantasy GP predictions

Chris

Hello again, gents.

No, I'm not having any holidays, neither was I charged in court for those seaside 'hot' riots in Blankenberge... angel

Talking about 'hot', well, that's the real culprit.

We do have an Official Heatwave here in BE with more than five consecutive days of a national average temp of more than 30°C... hot

The temp inside La Grotte is between 31 > 32°C on a constant base and even at night it's not really cooling down.

As this is supposed to be an hobby with some fun related to it, I'll patiently wait for the crisis to 'evaporate'.

Cheers beer & "we shall overcome..." note

Chris

Thanks for your kind comment, Bob.

Regarding the shavings, that's an easy one as I don't even own a small modelling razor plane.

I do have an 'adult' one - it belonged to my late dad back in the late fifties - though, but just being six y/o, I never was allowed to even touch it... crying

As for the balsa dust, my nose starts to itch quite rapidly, so I'm cleaning it up as soon as I can. angel

Cheers & stay safe, gents

Chris

Hello everybody,

Those who might have been thinking that I was having some hippie-style holidays in Kathmandu are totally wrong… angel cool

With some decreasing temps in BE, I finally had a session at La Grotte and decided to start it the ‘soft & easy-way’…

I was wondering if my aileron shrouds would allow the needed throws.

1465_aileron_throwup_900.jpg

GM Models’ plan states 20mm up and 8 down. I just needed to sand them back 1mm to obtain 21mm up and down bringing it back to 20 when glassed and some Sauce applied.

I suppose Phil’s ‘flaperons’ intention will be possible with the extra 12mm down?

1467_aileron_throwdown_900.jpg

Hakuna matata & stay safe all

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR Flaperons Control

Thanks for your comment and advice, Phil.

To be honest, I have no clue regarding programming a Tx for either flaperons or draggerons... blush

In fact my knowledge of Tx / Rx stuff is very close to zero, but I guess some kind PSS-ers will assist me in due time...

Cheers & keep safe

Chris

Hi to all,

… a bit warmer again today in BE with 28>30°C, but nevertheless, being brave, I went to duty. angel

As I don’t have a razor plane - nor the supposed skills to handle it - I went for a template of rib R13 including the chord line with an excess ‘’safety’ of 2mm all around for the rough shape of the wingtips.

1472_wingtip_profile01_900.jpg

If I understood Phil’s idea correctly the thin ply reinforcement between the balsa blocks should end just between the LE and TE on the chord line of the wing. Hopefully… indecision

The coordinates were drawn accordingly and the excess blocks are removed with the fretsaw leaving just 2mm to sand.

1475_wingtip_profile02_900.jpg

One could easily get lazy with these temps, isn’t it? … blush

Hakuna matata & stay safe and cool

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR Laziness Control

Chris, all that detail discussion with Phil about the aileron torque rod linkage is very helpful for me.  Your workmanship looks very good.

Q: Have you thought about using an AIR CONDITIONING unit device in your workshop? Seems the heat is a real problem for you there.

Edited By John H. Rood on 21/08/2020 16:29:55

Thanks for visiting, John.

Been quite a long time now, so how is your Sabre build progressing?

Did you have a start with Dirk's canopy frame?

A: ... regarding the airco, I don't think it's really worth it as they are just 'heatwaves' but BE having a Continental climate it feels 'hotter' than if we had some seaside air/wind.

Anyhow, I'm not allowed to drill big holes in the walls at La Grotte.

Cheers & keep safe as well over there

Chris