Chris McG F-86 Sabre Dog build blog

Thank you all for visiting and commenting, gents.

It really keeps the mojo up. yes

I was a bit surprised today that the epoxy still was a bit tacky. I decided to leave the cleaning up for later and I will leave the central heating turned on as the outside temps are very close to the freezing point nowadays.

I took some measures and decided that I will use the kitchenette to paint the Dog bits instead of converting the old garage box. idea

I'll need to modify the small kitchen into a 'spray booth' with the help of large sheets of painter's masking plastic, but I guess I'll enjoy the fact to have some correct heating, some decent light and even an extracting fan... hot cake cocktail

Cheers & stay prudent all

Chris

Posted by McG 6969 on 11/01/2021 17:55:23:

Thank you all for visiting and commenting, gents.

It really keeps the mojo up. yes

I was a bit surprised today that the epoxy still was a bit tacky. I decided to leave the cleaning up for later and I will leave the central heating turned on as the outside temps are very close to the freezing point nowadays.

I took some measures and decided that I will use the kitchenette to paint the Dog bits instead of converting the old garage box. idea

I'll need to modify the small kitchen into a 'spray booth' with the help of large sheets of painter's masking plastic, but I guess I'll enjoy the fact to have some correct heating, some decent light and even an extracting fan... hot cake cocktail

Cheers & stay prudent all

Chris

Just be mindful that any fumes from spraying inside may take several days to dissipate.......... Don't ask how I know blush And great progress Chris

Thank you for the kind words, Ade. yes

I do really remember the large amount of great brownie points you managed to get related to your 'golden' A4 sprayed in the conservatory... wink

But, no worries though. My Liquitex spray cans are water based and even the propellent is odourless and environment friendly.

In addition, I have that quite powerful extraction fan.

Thanks for being concerned with my health, young man. cool

Cheers

Chris

Hello to all,

I started to finish the fuse glassing and to prepare it for the first coat of Sauce.

When cleaning up the shark mouth, I discovered that I made a real mess of it…

My own fault as I wanted to speed up the job a little and ended with a large amount of air bubbles trapped in there. Mr Dremel will be of great help here, I guess.

I only had two sessions last week as a typical Belgian flu took over midweek. Not pandemic related at all, but enough to ground a semi-retired old warrior.

Hope to be back on my feet soon…

Hakuna matata & stay careful, gents

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR Flu Control

Thank you for caring, Phil and Dwain. smiley

Yep, Phil. Even if I thought my fuse jig was long enough, I managed to mess it up.

There's still a child hidden somewhere in every man, Dwain... but this time I could have done without the bubbles, for sure. wink

Cheers & stay alert all

Chris

Hi Chris, hope you are feeling better. Could you post a couple of pictures of your tailplane, rear view and front view ideally. My work in that area is driving me nuts and I need McG inspiration !!! To revlieve the stress I have used the 'sauce' on my freshly glassed wing and found the process to be totally therapeutic Your tip to use a fine brush was very helpful. I did a dry run (ugh!) on an old ME 109 airframe before I saw your advice, it became very streaky and required lots of elbow grease to tidy up. The fine brush eliminated the streaks on my fury wing, I am very happy with the results. Thank you Sir !

Hi David,

Thanks for visiting.

I thought I was feeling better, but I went out for the first time today having an appointment for our mandatory annual car check (MOT?). Back home it just felt like I just had half a marathon in the Sinaï desert... sad

Regarding the tailplane pics query, please remember that the Dog's tail-end is totally different than the the F-86. Fin, rudder and all the fairings are specific to the F-86D or K. Only the stab design is the same but without dihedral.

You can have a look in my albums of course, but I would suggest that you visit Phil's or Dirk's build logs for some more accurate visual info.

Glad to read that you ended happy with your Sauce experience.

Cheers & keep safe, young man

Chris

Hey Chris, yes your album pictures were helpful, thanks for the heads up ! The back end of the Fury is quite curved and I have found it a bit problematic getting it right. There is the single light on the rear above the exhaust. Your comment regarding the 'numerous adaptions' is spot on - rather more than expected when this project began over a year ago !

img_4574.jpg

I'm very impressed with the 'sauce'. It sands down so easily and 'sooooo smooooth!'

Edited By Martin Harris - Moderator on 23/01/2021 23:23:29

• 2 weeks later...

Hello again everybody,

Those few weeks of ‘absence’ seem like an eternity to me… glad to be finally back.

After a while, being I at home, I kept myself more or less busy with the few tools and materials I had at hand.

Hence, I took the decision to (try to) make some nav lights for the Dog’s wing.

Of course, they are different to the ‘normal’ F-86 but I’m really used to that now.

In fact, they really look like a pre-’68 VW Beetle front blinkers, only a bit more streamlined to integrate to the wing tip profile.

I started with a 8mm dowel on which I glued some bits of bamboo BBQ skewers to be shaped into a drop shaped pear.

The idea is to mould the plug with plasticine or polymer clay and then to use that as a mould to fill up with plaster of Paris. That plug could then be used to shrink some PET around it…

I’m afraid I’m starting to write Polynesian now, so let’s wait for some pictures…

Hakuna matata & stay careful all

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR Polynesian Control

Hi again,

As I mentioned here are some pics of the nav light idea.

1794_clay_mould_900.jpg

The dowel/skewer combo got a thick skin of polymer clay which is very close to plasticine but can also be ‘cooked’ in the oven to become rock hard.

I did not put it in the oven as I was afraid that I could have problems with demoulding the wooden construction.

The obvious side effect was that the clay ‘deformed’ while getting it out. A second clay handling session was then needed for the second Raysin moulding. No probs… after all this is ‘kindergarten’-time, isn’t it? … wink

I recently discovered the Raysin 200 which is comparable to Plaster of Paris as it mixes with water as well but is a lot stronger and doesn’t shrink at all when drying.

1795_pet_moulding_900.jpg

I did some tests with a 0,5l water bottle (0,2mm thickness) and with a tonic one at 0,3mm and found the latter was a better fit for purpose.

1802_pet_shrinking_900.jpg

It isn’t surely ‘perfect’ but for a first try it will suit the purpose. Wondering now what the results would be with a large plug… cool

As the forum site is about to close down now, I hope to find you all back early next week…

Hakuna matata & stay careful all

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR Raysin Control

... well, at least I managed to log in, to insert my good ol' avatar and - hopefully - to post this for everyone still out there...

... as Darwin used to write > "It's not the strongest of the specie that survive, nor the most intelligent that survive. It is the one that is most adaptable to change"... 

... I guess I really must try then to be 'adaptable'...

Stay safe, gents

Chris

• Like 3

Hi Dwain,

Not totally ready for a brand new wig yet, but I want to be prepared...

After several hours spent 'navigating' around, I started to feel just a little more 'comfortable' with the renewed site. Still struggling a lot with the logics of the site 'build up'...

It has way too much unnecessary bells and whistles making it 'contra intuitive' for a lot of forumites. The fact that they really aren't 'teenage digital generation' doesn't really help of course...

Apparently still not entirely mobile friendly (Win10 / Chrome laptop myself), a lot of unneeded 'blank space', quite a bit of 'own config' to handle, no 'magazine viewer' (the subscribers paid for it !), ...

Only a lot of patience will finally help (I hope...), but in the meantime , I'm afraid the forum will loose quite a lot of its members (... and their subscriptions...).

Keep prudent, young man

Cheers

Chris 

• Like 1

I agree Chris, I am lucky, and this sort of thing is up my street as it were. I love to fiddle around with things and get them in the right order.... A bit OCD ?? perhaps I am, but who cares. 

I like the New Forum, there are folks that don't or Won't.

Could do us all good to act like teenagers every now and then EH ?? I have a head start, cos I have two in my house, both Girls.... I can never get on my Xbox, or switch. LOL

Make sure you persevere Matey, I want to see the "Dog" finished and flying.?

Stay Cool.

D.D.