Chris McG F-86 Sabre Dog build blog

Your words are really too kind, Simon. blush

Albeit I feel my progress is very slow, I try to do the best I can at the speed I'm feeling comfortable with.

But then, I never pretended the Dog will be able to fly at all... indecision

I fabricated the 'lips' for the Dog's mouth today. Glued, pinned and drying now. Delicate sanding session to follow next...

Cheers

Chris

Hi,

Not much done today but in my humble opinion a tedious step forward.

The Dog’s mouth ‘lips’ - 2x 5mm balsa laminated together - were sanded slowly to shape.

And when I state slowly, I’m not supposed to reveal publicly the amount of time it took me… blush

854_mouthlips01_900.jpg

At the end of the session, I added the tiny blocks that will become the fairings for the lips.

Glad this one is nearly completed… cool

Hakuna matata

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR Lips (!?) Control

Beautiful work chris !A work of art !

Just a small remark if i may ,

On the hurricane, the previous MB i did the fairings between wing and fuse the same way you're doing the nose with bleu foam.On a very sunny PSS meeting in Macon last summer, the foam began to melt under the epoxy leaving me with a nasty surface on one side.

So if you ever leave her in the sun,please take your precautions .

Keep up the good job !!

Thank you all three for your motivating comments, gents.

Well then, it seems I will have to invest in a proper shelter/tent for the Dog as the intention is to use more foam at the tailplanes. indecision

As I knew I would have different non-modelling activities today, I decided to have some Photoshop duties done in between for the Dog.

What a surprise as I discovered Phil's deco-scheme related activities on his build blog...

What a coincidence... surprise

roundel_red_devils_700.jpg

Of course, no relation whatsoever with the roundels of the BAF from that era...

Hakuna matata

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR Roundel Control

“I’m innocent, Your Honour. They were lurking at me constantly”

In fact, I’m a tiny bit guilty, but I couldn’t resist any longer to try out those Andy B’s sanding pads !

Only the front all over and the top part and sides of the aft-fuse are planked so far, but I started prudently with the coarse pad to get rid of the plank edges.

855_fuse_sanding01_900.jpg

Again, a bit impatient to see the next stage, I had a few passes with the medium grit… and the ‘work in progress’ area became larger… blush

858_fuse-sanding02_900.jpg

Anyhow, the Official Reason for my sanding process will remain that I needed a correct curve around the cockpit and around the fin fairing to allow for further progress… angel

(to be continued) ...

... (continued)... due to forum restrictions...

859_fuse_sanding03_900.jpg

865_fuse_sanding04_900.jpg

As it appears, I really couldn’t stop taking pics.

REPORT > Andy B’s pads are amazingly easy to use. Different grits are an addition to this great tool.

I cut the angles at 45° at the corners but found out it’s even better to slightly fold ‘up’ the corner of the pads.

In one word > SUPERB tools.

Hakuna matata

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR Pads Control

Hi again,

Well, Andy’s pads weren’t creating a flow of ‘enthusiasm’, it appears…

As the basic construction of the front part of the fuse slowly gets to its end, one of the last bits was to shape those ‘lips’ fairings.

869_mouthlips02_900.jpg

870_mouthlips03_900.jpg

Rather pleased with those, but now time to start pondering about the tail end…

Hakuna matata

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR Lips #2 Control

Thank you for your kind and motivating comment, Andy.

Now at least I know who 'Wallace' stands for...

He 's not a well known character here in BE, but there is without doubt a close resemblance to the Dog's mouth... smiley ...

Actively working on those tail drawings at the moment. They really are 'very' different compared to the standard F-86's tail parts. indecision

Update soon to follow, I hope...

Cheers

Chris

Hello to all,

After a bit (a lot?) of pondering, I started to draw the tail end of the Dog.

Starting from the datum line, I drew the fin and its fairing - rake? - as a compromise of my documentation, pics and the plastic model.

Measuring the angles of the different parts to the datum was a big help to finally achieve the following drawing.

871tailplanes_drawing02_900.jpg

When you have the scaled coordinates, it becomes a lot easier to integrate them to Martin’s plan.

As foreseen - more or less, I guestimated 40mm - earlier, the fin appears to be 37mm taller than the standard F-86 without the tips. The fairing also is triple the height of the ‘normal’ one.

872_tailplanes_drawing01_900.jpg

Close enough to prepare some wood, now, I guess…

On a side note, the calculator in the pic is a Marksman. Before even Texas Instruments did, they made a solar powered calculator with a genuine leather lid to protect the solar cell. The thing has no batteries at all and it still works perfectly. No idea how old it is now… but the funny part about it, is when I discovered it was made in… China.

Hakuna matata

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR Drawings Control

Edited By McG 6969 on 26/02/2020 19:10:50

Hi Martin & thanks for commenting,

Are you referring to Ade's 'dual stick' machine? ... or is there another Dog somewhere... ??? smiley

If it is the 'trainer' version, the TF-86F was indeed 6 feet 'longer', but not at the nose.

It is between the moving part of the canopy and the wing's LE. I was surprised that it wasn't a 'sliding' canopy, but 'tilting' like the Dog series... surprise

The 'nose' in front of the windscreen is the same.

The wing itself was built 8" more forward for CoG reasons.

Regarding the tail unit, IMHO it seems the same as the standard Sabre including the dihedral.

By the way, were you not using your Turnigy MG's for the elevator as well? I've been reading recently that you are using 'standard' sized on the elevator. A bit confusing for this apprentice... indecision

Cheers

Chris

Thank you for your answer, Martin.

I'm thinking of using a larger one for the elevator as well.

I have a 'widow' Corona 238MG somewhere from an previous job lot.

If I can locate it, it would allow me to keep the Turnigys 'paired' and it gives 4.00 kg @ 4,8V.

Cheers & thanks

Chris

Hi to all,

I had some progress with the tail end and finally some wooden bits were prepared.

877_elevator_sheets01_900.jpg

I decided to go for the Dirk/Phil method for the elevators. A triple lamination of two 5mm parts sandwiching a 3mm central part. The joiners ‘tunnelling’ has still to be made in the 3mm sheets but pretty convinced that this will be a very accurate method.

Then I started having the first ‘big blooper’ of the Dog’s build… surprise

As my fin is quite ‘high’, I thought of having a 12mm part at the bottom made cross-grain. Same amount of wood, a bit extra glue, but the fin gets a lot stiffer.

All good so far, except that I forgot to add the bottom beam when drawing the bellcrank and the F10 cuts out… so, they ended cut way too ‘high’… blush

885_fin_blooper_900.jpg

No way I was going to bin all that nice wood and I decided to glue the missing bits back in before adding the bottom wood and the fin tip.

Let’s play it a little safer from now on… angel

Note to self > that cheap red marker pen is definitely NOT waterproof…

Hakuna matata

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR Blooper Control

Hello again,

Not an enormous progress, but just one ‘bite’ at the time… angel

The joiner tunnels were cut out of the central 3mm sheet and the bits laminated together.

889_elevator_lam01_900.jpg

Then followed by both elevator tips. Really no brain bashing here, but I can suppose it’s not that far away… surprise

This is a view of the root side of the elevators so far.

890_elevator_lam02_900.jpg

As I can imagine, people must be wondering what I’m ‘trying’ to do…

I had a search recently on the net and found this one.

892_f-86d_900.jpg

As you can see, the Dogs tail end is totally different compared to a F-86. Not only fin & dorsal fairing dimensions, but also the lateral fairings of the fin itself. Not to mention the turbine exhaust shape…

I decided to go for the Dog, I really got it… May the Dog be blessed… wink

Hakuna matata

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR Brain Bashing Control