Chris McG F-86 Sabre Dog build blog

Thanks for commenting, Ade. smiley

Well, with the Dog it seems that sometimes, I have more "problems" than "solutions". But, we'll get there in the end, I hope.

"One bite at the time will eat the mountain", they say... cool

Don't forget your GP predictions ! This could be the first... and the last Formula 1 race of the season... indecision

How is your 'large' canopy plug progressing???

Cheers

Chris

Hello again,

Here is the ‘unclamped’ version of the Dog’s tail end.

948_tailend_taper_900.jpg

Nothing much different to what I described earlier but the tapered side bits are now very obvious (I also hope).

Hakuna matata

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR Taper #2 Control

Edited By McG 6969 on 11/03/2020 19:35:41

Yep Phil, you ‘re right.

The Dog is more and more looking like a ‘pregnant whale’. sad

And, I still have to plank the underside of it…

The tail end is ‘enormous’ and those cheeks won’t really help to alter the look of it.

If you remember, the F9 and F10 formers were increased on each half former with respectively 3 and 2 mm.

You should see the measurements of the turbine tail pipe… frown

I could have kept the F-86 type of tail, as it would have been a lot easier and faster.

But isn’t there a reference to ‘Scale’ in the PSSA acronym…???

I guess I thought:” let’s try to have it made then” … angel

But very probably, insanity is close now…

To all > I had only a short session at La Grotte and no progress really to show at the moment.

Cheers & thanks for commenting, Phil

Chris

Hi again,

I finally could proceed with the prepared carbon pushrod.

With the bellcrank in place, it was just a matter of connecting it, cutting the rod to the right length and epoxy some 3mm threaded bit to accept the ball link at the servo end.

954_rod_bellcrank_900.jpg

I finally decided to ‘step up’ the elevator servo and to use a 238MG instead of the Turnigy 9018 that was originally planned, as per Martin’s suggestion.

As I made my servo bearers space according to a mini-sized servo measurement, I just had to remove the micro sized ply plate to install the new one.

Was I ‘clever’ this time or is it just ‘plain luck’ as usual… ?

958_rod_servo_900.jpg

Please note that the servo brand has no relation whatsoever with that famous Mexican beer…

Hakuna matata

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR Mexican Beer Control

Thanks Dave & John,

But no probs as the Dog’s internals are full of holes and room enough through the formers to conduct tons of wires…

Some of them were already there, some of them were engineered by Gaston. cool

Does that make us both ‘clever’ to plan/make our luck? wink

It’s a bit strange here in BE at the moment, as our State Council decided a partial lock-down since yesterday at midnight.

All social, cultural or sports events (in- and outdoors) are cancelled until April 3.

All pubs, taverns, discos and restaurants (except takeaways) must remain close until the same date.

All shops will be closed during weekends exception made for food shops, supermarkets and those takeaways.

Strange times, for sure… frown

Cheers

Chris

Thank you Don,

... but I'm always careful enough to foresee some space in advance for the needed wires to go through...

... ooh but, you might be talking about that virus stuff ? angel surprise

No worries either as I nearly live in self isolation between Iris's place and La Grotte, trying to give good care to the Dog... Er, to both I mean...

My preferred tavern closed down about two years ago and I never felt the urge to look for another one.

My main concern now is that it seems we will be missing our next pre-summer holidays. But, we'll really survive that as well. wink

Cheers

Chris

Hello to all,

Everything tends to become slower here in BE, except maybe the loo rolls hamstering. surprise

It made me smile when Peter Miller started his ‘Insanity’ thread, but now we have it here as well… sad

Anyhow, I tried to make a little progress with the Dog.

I marked the elevators surfaces with some pencil lines on all planes allowing an easier sanding control later.

959_tailend_taper01_900.jpg

The angle of the roots of both elevator halves were adjusted/sanded to a tight fit against the ‘new’ tapered edges of the fairing.

And finally, the bellcrank brass tube was fixed with a dab of ‘goop’ - ie. a mixture of epoxy and micro-balloons - and left to cure.

962_tailend_taper02_900.jpg

Hakuna matata

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR Goop Control

Thank you both, Phil & Chris,

I was only my second attempt with the 'goop', Phil.

I used it for the first time a short while ago to create a filet between the wing plate and the F14s.

I really like to work with it now as it makes a real light mixture. yes

To be honest I have no idea, Chris.

I tend to use Aliphatic but very sparsely anyhow.

In this case, with the 'enormity' of the Dog tail fairings, I thought it could only help to have the bits laminated.

But, of course that's just my thoughts... angel

I started - very prudently - to sand the first elevator halve and also had some measurements made for the positioning of the canopy.

Nothing really to show right now, but - sjeesh - why is that Dog soo different... ? indecision

Hakuna matata

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR Sjeesh Control

I wish my planking was that neat, John. frown

Planking was a 'premiere' to me but honestly I've been happily surprised that it went that well.

The front end, the bottom up to the wing LE and the upper fuse were already ‘attacked’ with some sandpaper while the belly still has to be planked.

So far, I only used the 80 grit to get the plank edges ‘down’ followed by a first pass with 120.

I used Andy B’s method with the sanding papers glued to curved cardboard.

789_sanding_guides_900.jpg

It works great and I advise the MB’s to at least give it a try. Surprisingly effective… yes

Cheers

Chris

"Llandudno, we have a problem"

Since yesterday 18/03 at midday 12.00h, our Belgian State Council applied the 2nd phase of our antivirus/protection program, valid till April 5 so far.

Without getting into too much details, confinement has been reinforced, working from home is strongly advised when possible or mandatory in some cases and general travel is prohibited when ‘unnecessary’.

Now, as some of the forumites will already know, I have to take the car to reach La Grotte - my mancave/shed - as it is a 5-6 minutes drive from home.

This is seriously going to compromise my visits/sessions at La Grotte and jeopardise the Dog’s progress… ppfff…

Anyhow, if these measures remain or get even worse, leaving the country for Llandudno will be a legal ‘no, no’… but then, probably OK for 2021… indecision

I've been reading a lot of modelling related events are cancelled in the UK as well.

Are there some elements pointing in the direction of a possible postponing of the PSSA Orme fly-in?

Following the info available here, the situation in the UK is less ‘on the edge’ and I do hope for you guys it will not get worse. Be careful all…

Hakuna Matata mingi…

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR Progress Control

Hi Chris,

For our general PSSA Fly-Ins our current position is that these events are all still ON, our first event will run as planned 4th/5th April. I've used the following logic - We are a group relatively small in number (less than 50 normally), we are operating outside in the fresh air in a remote environment, and its easy for us to self regulate our personal proximity to others. Individuals need to self assess and their participation is upto them based on individual circumstance relative to the published government guidelines. Those guidlines, combined with the advice received recently from our BMFA leads me to be able to maintain our plans.

However, the Sabre Mass Build event is a little different for a few reasons and we may have to defer the event to enable it to run at full strength. Im yet to make that decision final but will go to press as we get a little nearer the time having assessed the situation. I'm very conscious that our event will draw a bigger crowd and that so much effort has/is being employed around the world with models being built to the June deadline, it would be an awful shame if those models couldnt take part in the event as currently scheduled.

So in summary, all our normal Fly-In dates remain unchanged and we plan to run them as listed until guidelines dictate we stop. However the Sabre Mass Build element of our June event could be deferred pending a decision to come. DON'T SLOW DOWN YOUR BUILDS!!!