Chris McG F-86 Sabre Dog build blog

Hi gents,

I thought I would post this as it could help some builders out there.

I was pondering how to obtain a realistic head rest for Major Ivan’s seat.

Then I came across some Depron bits in the garbage can… surprise

1059_cockpit_headrest01_900.jpg

I had some measures done and a cut into the 6mm foam bit.

Twenty seconds of sanding and rounding off the front edges followed by some red acrylic paint and a smear of black diluted artist paint for the ‘weathering’…

1062_cockpit_headrest02_900.jpg

IMHO, acceptably convincing at 1:10 scale. wink

Hakuna matata, but safety first

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR Weathering Control

Hi again,

In the end, a bit of progress to show.

The main furniture of the cockpit ‘tub’ - seat and headrest, parcel plate, ADF support - is finalized.

1066_tub_progress.jpg

The parts have been painted US grey and semi-gloss black, ready to receive the different sub-assemblies and the driver.

The latter still needs a last touch of detailing but I do hope it won’t be long anymore.

Hakuna matata & stay safe

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR Detailing Control

Lookin' good Sir ! Any thoughts on modelling the joystick and engine power lever, my efforts so far have have failed to impress - helpful hints appreciated, Im looking for easy solutions that look the part

Will you be 3d modelling the dash ??

final dash and miniturised version.jpg

My effort is a combination of dials found across the net I could not find an accurate one for my plane I hope you have more luck with the 'dog' I will be giving each dial a 3d effect by cutting a frame for each dial - well thats the plan.

Thanks for your kind words, gents.

No point about it, John. You could very surely manage it. yes It’s just a matter of patience and perseverance.

Your dashboard looks indeed very complete and colourful, David.

I managed to find an acceptable ‘Dog’ dash, but it needed quite an amount of Photoshopping as my Q-259 example was ‘demilitarized’, aiming radar and weaponry commands had to be removed as was the original gun sight, of course.

My intention is to keep it simply 2D with printed photo paper, covered w/ a layer of matt varnish and the gauges’ glass painted w/ high gloss varnish to give them some kind of reflection (I hope) … indecision

To be honest, I don’t see myself manually cutting out those dial frames at 1:10 scale… 3D printing would be an option though, if I had a printer that is.

Regarding the control stick, I won’t be using one as my ‘tub’ isn’t deep enough.

For the throttle stick and the flaps stick on the left console, I will start with some thin styrene roundels, cutting some rounded parts from those to obtain the rounded side flanges and using Q-tips tubes and heat shrinking for the handles. Hope this helps a bit...

Cheers & stay safe, gents

Chris

Thanks for that Chris. I know what you mean about the cutting at 1/10 scale and a 3d printer would certainly help! I will see how I get on anyway but may well end up as you have suggested. Its something to keep me amused during this lockdown. I will watch for your piccys of the handles and copy unashamedly.

Keep well and stay safe.

Hello out there,

I didn’t manage to get to La Grotte today as I had some priority tasks to fulfill.

This is a total ‘première’ for me, so I wished myself good luck.

First task was to choose a valid blog to get some basic info, followed by a ‘in house’ search of the needed components.

That quest went perfectly and soon I could go on with the project.

I also needed to find and group the needed tools as obviously they stand for serious craftmanship.

It’s an absolutely gorgeous vintage plan and method for some… surprise genuine soft Belgian butter waffles.

1077_belgian_yummie_900.jpg

Iris tasted them, judged them very palatable and brought some to Wendy, our friendly neighbour right away…

Probably a bit off topic, but some great fun and a bucket full of brand-new brownie points… angel

Hakuna matata

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR Brownie Points Control

Hi gents,

They don't only "look tasty", John. I guess they are.

I made nearly two platoons of them, now only maybe half a section left over... frown

I thought Dirk might be right, albeit I didn't check their CoG.

But then, with hindsight and as per Martin's suggestion, even the 'Dog' might be able to fly... cool

Cheers & stay safe

Chris

Hi to all,

Today, I finally managed to glue the last bits for the ‘tub’.

Maj. Yvan’s oxygen tube and safety harness were still drying and I decided not to move the bits around too much.

But then, I thought Phil’s and the visitor’s patience should be rewarded right away.

1084_cockpit01_900.jpg

1089_cockpit02.jpg

When all is dry, I’ll make some pics ‘in situ’ and give some - hopefully, not boring - explanations.

Hakuna matata but stay safe, gents

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR Glue Drying Control

Thank you all for visiting and commenting, gents.

Receiving positive remarks is always very motivating. yes

Well, at least it is to me, especially after a quite long period concentrating on a small area of the build.

Thanks again.

Hakuna matata but stay safe, gents

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR Motivation Control

Hello again,

With everything well dried up, I installed the ‘tub’ in the fuse and took some close-up pics.

Of course, it shows all the imperfections… and also some dust (already!).

I nearly forgot that in a previous post, I already stated the materials I used for the different parts.

The parts fixed to the fuselage received a coat of ‘sauce’ but will be sanded and painted after the fuse planks glassing job. I just dry fitted the camera cross mount for your visual pleasure… wink

1091_tub_det01_900.jpg

1097_tub_det02_900.jpg

The paints I used are mostly acrylic satin sprays from Liquitex - great quality and not expensive at 9€/can - except for Yvan’s helmet and eyeshade that received a coat of glossy varnish after the decals were applied. On a side note this will be the first time that the Devils will use a red flying suit instead of their standard military one.

1098_tub_det03_900.jpg

... (continued)...

1101_tub_det04_900.jpg

The decals are simply water transfers sized in Photoshop, printed with a domestic inkjet printer and protected by a coat of satin varnish before cutting and applying. The helmet shows the Red Devils insignia and the Belgian Lion emblem. Their application was a bit fiddly as the largest one is only 8mm wide. The oxygen bottle label is a genuine one from the net but of course totally unreadable at that size… angel

1111_tub_det05_900.jpg

1112_tub_det06_900.jpg

The dashboard is not the best I hoped for. The initial plan was to print it on photopaper, protect it with satin varnish and give it some highlights with high gloss varnish for the dials… which ended in a total mess… back to the initial plan of satin varnish only… blush

Hopefully not too boring this long one…

Hakuna matata and please, stay safe

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR Dust Control