Chris McG F-86 Sabre Dog build blog

Thanks for the nice words, gents.

@ Dwain > your word "Cosmic" is very impressive in this context. surprise

@ Phil > coming from the PSSA-guru in person, I might need a larger hat size in the near future. smiley

@ Rob > I can only hope Maj. Ivan feels the same as I do. Very pleased with how our €5 driver turned out. yes

Cheers, gents & stay safe

Chris

Thank you for the kind words, Dirk.

Yes, I gave the photo paper a protective layer of spray can satin varnish. I used an inkjet printer and that type of ink isn't at all waterproof.

If you use a laser printer you are safer; the toner - ie. the ink powder - being 'baked' by the printer.

The same of course for the water decals. They need to be protected by some varnish if printed with an inkjet device.

As for gluing, I simply used a 3M contact adhesive in spray. My dashboard ( ply 0,8mm ) wasn't bare wood but was painted first.

The contact adhesive isn't a must though. On other occasions, I also used liquid student glue - remember our 'schoollijm'? - as a perfect alternative. I guess a glue-stick (the Pritt type) might work as well, but I never tried it...

Hope this helps.

Cheers & stay safe, young man

Chris

Hi all,

Following the cockpit furniture, it seemed logical to go on with Dirk’s canopy frame.

I had some further measures done besides the earlier median line and started to make some templates for the front part. Yep, it’s a plural form as I had to make a few of them.

1123_canopy_frame01_900.jpg

I’m doing my best to get the Dog’s canopy frame lines defined even if they are very different to the standard F-86.

But if I don’t manage to replicate them exactly, at least I will be able to reverse the template to get them symmetrical.

1126_canopy_frame02_900.jpg

Hakuna matata & stay safe, gents

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR Template Control

I'm at thesame page at the moment Chris !I glued the front part to the fuse with 30min epoxy, mixed some cotton flakes in it together with black pigment in case it gets visible from the inside .I'm going to paint the frame before i glue it to the canope,also with blacked epoxy. Make sense?

Yep, we 'appear' to be at the same page, Dirk. wink

But don't forget that I skipped about thirty of them in the manual as I still have a big hole on the underside of my fuse and my wing is only about 30% completed... blush crying

Your method sounds good with the black pigment for safety. I never used 'cotton flakes' myself but I guess it must be close to the use of micro-balloons?

Are you going to give the front frame its final coat of paint before gluing it? What about the 'ejecting' part of it?

Cheers

Chris

Hello there,

Some slow progress here but I ended up with the cut-outs defined, ready for some major surgery of Dirk’s splendid GF creation.

1131_canopy_frame03_900.jpg

As most of the 3 view drawings I collected for the Dog only show very approximate frame outlines, I decided to dig out my old Android tablet, but still allowing some pics displays, to take it to La Grotte and to base my measurements only from the Dog walk-around pics.

1141_canopy_frame04_900.jpg

I guess I should start shivering now just with by the idea of getting the Dremel tool out?

Hakuna matata & stay clear all

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR Tablet Control

Hello again,

That cunning plan is in fact twofold:

1/ keep the frame as immobile as possible during the surgery

2/ convince myself to be slow and patient

To try to achieve part one, I taped Dirk’s frame to a piece of tempered glass and started prudently.

I realize the taping looks a bit ‘agricultural’ but I guess that’s just the way it is. angel

1146_canopy_frame05_900.jpg

As the rear part gives the major stiffness of the frame, I started with the more intricate front parts leaving the rear for later.

Tools are a diamond cutting wheel for the Dremel, some professional nail files (thanks, Iris) with different grits and a myriad of ‘round’ tools covered with sanding paper. cool

1151_canopy_frame06.jpg

I’m pretty sure that the North American designers didn’t like modellers at all as the different rounded corners of the cut-outs have totally different radii (radiuses?). frown

Hakuna matata

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR Agro-Designers Control

Hello again to all,

No reason not to keep concentrated, is there? …

Slow but straight progress with the frame.

1153_canopy_frame07_900.jpg

I kept half of the rear part untouched till I could sand down the first halve.

Then, of course, I had to bite the bullet…

1157_canopy_frame08_900.jpg

That went OK as well with just a bit of sanding finish to handle.

The pre-dinner ‘apéro’ was then a very welcomed reward…

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR Dremel Control

Hi out there,

I guess this stage won’t need too much words.

Just a bit of cleaning up the frame, sanding it with 400 grit and giving it a coat of primer on both sides.

1162_canopy_primer01_900.jpg

I would just like to point out that the frame is so light that it won’t join the canopy by gravity alone and I didn’t want to add some pressure or tape it to bring it down for the pic. Hence that little gap between the parts.

1168_canopy_primer02_900.jpg

A big ‘thank you’ again to Dirk for this great glass part improving in a great way the general scale look of the Sabre. I can only hope I didn’t disappoint the Belgian squad.

Wondering now if Phil is not a tiny bit envious and pondering about having one as well…

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR Envy Control