Chris McG F-86 Sabre Dog build blog

Thanks for the motivating comments, gents.

I guess I was a bit impatient when I decided to give the Sauce a proper sanding.

The first mm of sanding went perfectly but then some semi-wet grainy stuff started to fill up the grit of the sandpaper...  ?  ?

Now I know for sure that a 'thick' layer takes a lot more time to fully dry than a thin one... !!! ...  ?

Repairs are now drying properly (hopefully)...

Cheers

Chris

Hi again,

Just to be on the prudent side with the canopy fillet, I decided to give the turbine exit a bit of colour first.

As to give an idea of 'burnt iron', I went for a tint called 'stainless steel' from our local DIY-center.

1916_turbine_stainlesssteel_900.jpg.385751e82c41e22dd4f0773ad7420509.jpg

It will need a bit of final weathering after the fuse is painted, I guess.

The painted area is too large allowing for a bit of sanding back of the edges.

Hakuna matata

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR  Anti-Carnage #2 Control

• Like 4

Hello out there,

Totally convinced that the canopy fillet Sauce was fully dry now, here is the result I got so far.

1921_canopy_fairingsanded_900.jpg.09dc603a9a1e1cad88bc379a9ba68b48.jpg

New masking tape applied & ready now for a coat of primer, weather permitting of course.

Started the sanding of the wing as well.  ?

Why do I have the feeling that I'm really starting to hate sanding stuff now? ...  ?

Hakuna matata

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR  Sanding 2 Much Control

• Like 2

2 hours ago, McG 6969 said:

Why do I have the feeling that I'm really starting to hate sanding stuff now? ...  ?

Hakuna matata

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR  Sanding 2 Much Control

Do your nails while you are sanding and you won't feel like it's a waste of time Chris..

D.D.

Edited by Dwain Dibley.

I always do that, Dwain.  ?

I always sand and polish my nails before Iris gives me that French manicure...

Can I use that trick for my toe nails as well? ...  Any tutorial at hand? ...

...  ?

Hakuna matata

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR  Toe Nails Control

• Haha 2

Hi again,

Really not much progress here in BE.

I only managed to get two coats of primer to the canopy fillets.

1923_canopy_primer_900.jpg.42baedb19b0c502c479364bf7e086ca3.jpg

Both top wing halves were sanded down ready for primer...

I thought I would manage to coat them quickly in between the forecasted 'possible rainfall', 'light showers' or 'overcast sky'...

But when I just had a light first coat applied, 'the sky started to cry', ruining my outdoors effort...

... I can't repeat here the French swearing words that followed... where are those sanding blocks??? ...

Hakuna matata

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR  Disaster Control

• Like 1

Looking good though Chris, keep up the good work.

This weekend we are heading out to the Great Orme for our first event of the year, there will be a few MB Sabres being test flown this weekend I think! Hopefully no repairs needed before the September event runs!

Thank you for visiting and for your kind comments, guys.  ?

I guess, regarding the weather, we are in the same boat - ark? - both in the UK and here in BE.

Good luck with the 'clouds & wind' at your Great Orme weekend, Phil.  ?  Is yours to be maiden as well?

... and don't forget your Monaco GP predictions, John S...

Cheers

Chris

• Like 1

Thanks for visiting & for your motivating post, Nev.  ?

My 'rain disaster' has been sanded down and the wing is now ready to be primed again.

No chance I 'll try it outdoors again and it has been raining EVERY day here in BE.

I guess I'll have to take the 'courage' to transform the kitchenette in a spray booth following my initial idea...  ?

Cheers

Chris

• Like 1

Thanks for visiting, Dirk.

A party tent should be a very convenient idea, but unfortunately La Grotte being just a small flat, there is no outdoors space to be able to install even a small tent.

Thanks also for your motivating comment.

I'll try to go on with the Dog as soon as I can. That second C19-jab causing me a few health issues at the moment...  ?

Cheers

Chris

• Like 1

... Hakuna matata... No worries, Dwain.

I seem to have the same symptoms as you had. Flu/fever & feeling quite exhausted...

Nothing a 'medicinal' apéro can't handle...  ?

knossosbeach_montage02_900.jpg.6ad7d1bb351a4cd669a80b5a1708e87b.jpg

... even dreaming is still allowed...  ?

The Dog will have to wait for a while, though.

Cheers

Chris

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for that great pic, Phil.  ?

I've been visiting the PPSA website, fully read the Orme report and enjoyed all those magnificent pics.

Martin & Gordon's 'double stick' example looks very nice indeed. What a difference to the 'single seat' model.

Did I understand correctly that your splendid Yugo example didn't receive its maiden flight? ...

Regarding the Dog, the build has been on hold for a while now, mainly due to health - read mobility - problems.

With the sunnier/warmer days coming up now, I hope to be back to it as soon as I can...

Cheers

Chris

• Like 1

Sorry to hear you're still struggling Chris, I hope you return to the building board with more energy and focus very soon we're all desperate to see the model completed!!

Yeah you are right I didn't get my Sabre airborne - Saturday we were flying from a slope less than ideal for a maiden and with everything else going on I didnt go for it... there was an opportunity to fly it Saturday evening from the much better South West slope (and I guess in hindsight I should have done so) but in the last 90 minutes of light I flew other models already rigged whilst the Sabre stayed dissassembled in the car - it was just an energy thing at the end of a long day!  Then Sunday the weather was poor as you'll have read and I left before once again the lift returned to the SW slope and the rain ceased.

So its still to be tested but good to get some sunshine on it non-the-less.  I will be taking it to the next event at the Lleyn in July.

• Thanks 1

• 2 years later...

Hey Phil,

Indeed this has been a very long 'radio silence'.

Daily life has been taking over from the enjoyable hobby time I had.

To keep it short, the main reason is simply ill health during the past 2 years.

A relationship 'misfire', two house moves, two heart surgeries and dito revalidation took the best part of my energy. 

The Dog is still nicely protected in his cardboard residence since my house moves, but no real progress has been made.

The fuse  is ready to receive the Belgian red paint while the wing is primered & fine sanded...

I can only hope to resume the paint job during the forthcoming months - weather permitting - next after my revalidation period if my mobility allows it.

Many thanks for paying me a visit.

Cheers

Chris

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...