Chris McG F-86 Sabre Dog build blog

Hi to all,

One thing I forgot to mention in my previous post is that I had to ‘beef up’ F6 a little bit. surprise

If you remember, to get the Dog fuse profile right, I had to add 3mm balsa strips to F7. In fact, by doing so, I created a ‘slight but present’ step between the formers F4 and F7 which I realized when I started planking. Not really worth mentioning for a full grown modeller, but I quickly added some 1,5mm to F6 to get the curve back to ‘sweet & normal’. cool

660_planking_half01_900.jpg

662_fuse_planking02_900.jpg

Not a great deal of words needed here, except that it was a bit trickier at the tail end with the tighter curves. wink

667_fuse_planking03_900.jpg

All in all, I’m feeling satisfied with my planking ‘première’... smiley

Hakuna matata

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR Planking #3 Control

Thank you very much, Phil. Much appreciated. smiley

I think it's really worth spending that little time to bevel (chamfer?) the planks on one side.

I tried it in an attempt to minimize the gap - and hence the glue - between the planks and to get a bit more 'contact' area.

But it helps automatically for the inner joints as well. They look indeed like the outside ones. wink

Cheers

Chris

Hello again,

I decided to add two planks to the fuselage first thing arriving at La Grotte. In fact, I’m copycatting Harry T’s ‘Montana’-method. blush

I then made a cradle out of recycled Styrofoam - with the help of the remaining half-formers - to receive and stabilize the first fuse half later (cfr at the right of the pic).

I also made up a balancing weight anchoring system at the front that will be part of the radome nose - just a few laminated liteply roundels with an integrated 4mm blind nut, really - as I have no idea where the balance point will be.

The Dog will be obviously heavier at the tail than the standard version due to the longer and ‘meatier’ fuse behind Martin’s indicated CoG. I thought it might be wise to foresee a method to get the balance point at the requested spot…

671_planking_more01_900.jpg

It was then time to get rid of all those pins and the first fuse half seems to behave very well with no sign of warping… so far… indecision

Hakuna matata

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR Warping Control

Hi Martin and thanks for your kind comment.

This is truly a 'première' for me, never been planking before.

Also most probably the reason why I'm sóó... slow in doing it... blush

But I must admit that I've been viewing a lot of posts, not all Sabre related, prior to give it a try.

It might get trickier from now on, but so far I think the most difficult are tight radii like the tail end.

I'm going to try to taper a few planks there on the other fuse half.

Thanks again & cheers

Chris

Hi everybody,

Thanks again, Martin. I will definitely try some ‘tapering’ when I start planking the other half of the fuse. yes

Good news regarding the Dog Contest chocolates prize.

First, I got the answer that “pralines may contain some liquor and that it wasn’t appropriate for children or for adults depending on their religious convictions.” … cool

With the ‘postage budget’, I then decided to buy 2 tins of 400gr each of Belgian biscuits.

They finally got delivered together with the original pralines.

@ Gary M > delivering your winning prize together with a gentle smile receiving it, seems to be more difficult than planking a Sabre model aeroplane… wink

Hakuna matata

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR Alcohol Control

Hi to all,

You might have noticed it in my last pic, but just prior to ‘unpin’ the port fuse half, I realized that it could be very fragile at the shark mouth.

Just like with genuine Swiss Gruyère, there is more air than cheese at the front end.

674_planking_foam01_900.jpg

I decided to use a cubic-ish piece of Blue foam to reinforce it over there. It will be part of the general foam build-up in that area so not even ‘dead weight’. How a little bit of foam does rigidify things very effectively.

675_planking_foam02_900.jpg

In the meantime, Gaston has been promoted to Planking QC Manager and he’s taking his responsibility very seriously…

672_planking_more02_900.jpg

Hakuna matata

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR Quality Control

Hello again,

Close to create a Dog’s fuselage second half now.

After installing the half fuse in the Styrofoam cradle, the first thing I did is gluing the second straight dorsal spine as it will already rigidify the ’fuse to come’.

I started at the back dry fitting every component I could.

681_halve2_f15_900.jpg

From the F15 sub-assembly, through F8 up to the F14 sub-assembly with the wing plate W1 modified to but against F7…

683_halve2_fuse_900.jpg

… and finally, the already assembled battery box which could be glued right away against the Dog’s F1.

688_batterybox_900.jpg

Hakuna matata

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR Progression Control

Hi again,

It has been a late session at La Grotte with a fair bit of progress.

I went back to the tail of the fuse after the earlier session to start with gluing all the previous dry fitted bits.

Ending with the nose bits of the Dog glued and clamped together.

693_nose_foam_900.jpg

694_nose_foam02_900.jpg

… adding a Blue Foam ‘twin’ as well to keep it symmetric… wink

Another small bite, but hopefully, it might eat the mountain (or elephant) at the end… indecision

Hakuna matata

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR Clamping Control

Hello gents,

Gaston managed to position all the needed stringers on his own. surprise

Just a bit of planking exercise on the second half fuse then.

697_planking2_01_900.jpg

I started exactly the same as for the port half, hoping that it would progress a bit faster… cool

Anyhow, if not faster, it goes a bit easier as I followed Martin’s advice and tapered the planks at the tail end starting around 30cm from the back end.

698_planking2_02_900.jpg

The only planking problem I have so far is my insufficient quantity of adequate pins to hold the planks. I really like the Graupner ones but they seem already ‘out of stock’ at the local (not!) model shop. At least, that’s my excuse for my slow pace!

Note to self > I must remember to ad some internal bits before planking to much… enlightened

Hakuna matata

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR Planking #4 Control

Hi again,

Well, while the PSSA Gods are talking Autodesk and .stl files, I’m still trying to get some wooden bits together… frown

Regarding the “internal bits” not to be forgotten, one of them was my ‘balance weight’ provision.

I prepared a few laminated ply rings with an internal M4 blind nut and now epoxied to the Dog’s F1. It should carry a few lead roundels as needed to obtain a balanced CoG. Martin’s prototype needed around 100gr at the front end of the battery box, so we’ll see what this gives as it is a bit further forward.

702_balanceweight_screw01_900.jpg

704_balanceweight_screw02_900.jpg

My ‘radome’ nose is planned to be removable and kept in place with a pair of dowels and magnets, allowing me (hopefully) to ad the lead roundels if needed.

Regarding the posted pics, I’m a little ashamed now as I thought I was ‘acceptably clean’ with my Dog build. Well the macro-type close-ups show it totally different… even my cheap Chinese marker pens doesn’t seem waterproof… ppfff… blush

Hakuna matata

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR CoG Control

Hello everybody,

I’m somehow surprised by the participation rate to the blogs of the PSSA Mass Build 2020.

I can’t remember the exact figures but it seems to me that the Hurricane and the A-4 got more builders having a regular build blog of their progression… It just could be a deficiency of my memory though. angel

Anyhow, months before the build even officially started, a lot of forumites claimed their chosen deco scheme, without any news since then regarding their progression.

I don’t think it’s fair to come up publicly with a list of forum nicknames but some apparently never started, some started and then ‘vanished’, while some gents wrote they were being ‘delayed’. There are reasons enough for that to happen unfortunately.

As Chris B wrote some time ago, it’s surprisingly ‘silent’ those days while his own finishing tasks always take him more time than he projected… and he’s already at the finishing stage with his ‘Canadair’ build…

At times, there is/are only one or two build blogs present in the 40 ‘Latest Posts’. Are the ‘silent builders’ just going to show up at The Orme in June? Is this ‘normal’, meaning being the ‘norm’? indecision

I’m certainly not blaming Martin & Gordon, Phil, Chris B or a few other participants. They certainly have been more than prompt and helpful enough when needed, but it gets a bit annoying for me when/if I can only direct my beginner’s questions to these few… sad

Apologies for interfering in your respective builds, gents… blush

Hakuna matata

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR Mass Build Progression Control

Chris,

When posting on these forums it does sometimes seem that no-one is interested. I don't believe that is the case here. Yes there are 36 Sabre build threads, and yes, some have not been updated for months. However, there are thousands of views - yours has over 8000, so there is a lot of interest.

I suspect there will be more added to the blogs as everyone starts to realise that there is now less than five months until the Sabre Mass Build event on the Great Orme.

Fortunately the model builds quite quickly, it is the finishing/painting that will take the time, as Gordon found out on the "Gamma" build.

Keep up the great work, I am really looking forward to seeing the "Dog" in June, it will probably be the only one of its kind!

Martin.

Thanks for your comments, gents.

@ Ade > I wasn’t really thinking of your build as I remember you told us being ‘delayed’ till February.

But there are so many other builders that just seem to have vanished…

.. and don't forget to show us that 'special' canopy plug you were planning...

@ Martin > the ‘views’ are fine but the visitors don’t realize that even a short comment is doing miracles especially when you get a little ‘building dip’. This forum is really missing a ‘Like’ button… yes

I’m afraid I can’t share your enthusiasm when you write that the blogs will revive ‘soon’.

Taking pics of ones build and writing a text to go with it, takes quite some time and the builders will try to concentrate on their build if they feel they are already late with it, don’t you think? indecision

You must be right concerning the “quite fast build” for experienced modellers, but it doesn’t really feel that way for an apprentice without much experience.

So, I’m afraid I will I’ll have to come back bothering you or Phil when I get stuck… and I already have a bunch of those ‘grey points’… blush

… and thank you again for your tip for the tapered planks at the fuse back-end.

Cheers

Chris

Chris,

Don't get disheartened by the lack of comments. Your build is going very well and both Gordon, and I, are impressed with the way you are modifying our design to make a different version of the aircraft.

The "special canopy" plug that Ade is planning to make will be something very different as I know what it is. wink

I can barely contain my excitement!

Martin.

Thank you both for the compliments and 'boost', gents.

I think I might risk a proper guess about Ade's 'special canopy' plug. He also ordered a big lot of balsa some time ago, stating that it could be for "more than one, but less than three"... So, he might be building a 'dual stick' version, Martin... ??? surprise

You're very probably right, Dirk. I should learn to talk LESS, so I might be building MORE... indecision

Cheers

Chris

Chris, also you must remember that the vast majority of us Mass Build enthusiasts are known criminals; most are now behind bars and their access to computers is limited. The rest of us are still at large, and this, too, can restrict one’s ability to post F-86 Sabre build progress.

But, no worries! All these fine young criminals will be seeping through the cracks soon enough. By their works ye shall know them? YES! Meanwhile, your Sabre Dog is lookin’ good!

nerd