Chris McG F-86 Sabre Dog build blog

Hi John,

... and thanks for your comment and compliment. yes

Luckily I'm 'on parole' and fortunately the guys I need for my progress are out there as well...

I'm just hoping that balsa cement is not on the black list for the others and that they will be released in time for the Great Orme.

By the way, are you still on that little rock in the Frisco bay or have you been able to go on with your Sabre... ??? wink

Cheers

Chris

Hi to all,

Well, it seems I can claim the 200th post here on the Dog's threat. wink

When I was building up the second fuse half, I forgot to mention that I added a 6mm beech quarter round to join W1 to the former. I don’t really believe it’s necessary, but I thought it wouldn’t harm if the ‘central’ sub-assembly got slightly reinforced.

684_w1_reinforcement-900.jpg

The eagle-eyed among you will have noticed that the snake eyelets in the fuse are ‘gone’… (sorry, Martin & Gordon). As I will be using a carbon tube to the back end for the tailplanes, this might be an attempt to compensate for the weight of my quarter round… indecision

The following doesn’t apply to a standard Sabre but the D, K and L versions of the Dog have a totally different cockpit lay-out with a bulkier ejection seat arrangement.

707_sprucestrip_f4_900.jpg

So, for a D-type, the top part of F4 has to be modified i.e partially cut away. A transversal piece of spruce gives the former his original rigidity back while a large part of the top section above the spruce will be removed later. Again, the additional weight will get compensated. cool

At the moment, I’m trying to figure out what is still needed ‘inside’ before I go on with the planking.

Hakuna matata

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR Weight Control

Thanks, guys.

@ Chris > In fact, it will depend on the time I have left later on. The initial plan is to have the pilot bust down to his 'waist', including the back of his seat and the upper part of the instrument panel. But, that's only the 'projected idea'... wink

@ Dirk > I don't visit a lot of shows normally but indeed it would be nice to meet in Wavre. Are you going Saturday or Sunday?

It will also depend if my flu is over by then. Since yesterday I have it quite badly and I had planned some long session at La Grotte for today. sad

Iris is home from work since nearly a week now... so, I guess it must be my turn...

Keep an eye on your PM-box, Dirk. I'll send you my contact details.

Cheers

Chris

Hello again,

Well, it seemed an eternity since my last progress to the build.

I had to go to the pharmacy today and decided to have a short visit at La Grotte.

As I’m really not OK yet, so I just did some ‘nearly useless’ stuff like emptying the garbage tins, having some tools and bits back to where they belong, cleaning the ‘Fabrication Department’ and cutting a bunch of strips for further planking…

I finally even managed to plank a few more strips to keep the structure symmetric.

712_planking2_03_900.jpg

I just hope to feel better soon…

Hakuna matata

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR Flu Control

Hi everybody,

Being a few days prisoner at home gave me good opportunity to do some more research regarding the Dog version of the Sabre.

One thing that seems ‘prominent’ are two large scoops for the GE 17 turbine together with two NACA inlets at both sides of the fuse.

720_naca_inlets_900.jpg

The scoop inlets are symmetrical both sides and can be added later, but the NACA inlets need some carving in the thickness of the fuse and are placed at very different places.

I decided to prepare a couple of laminated planks that will be glued inside the fuse to allow the carving that will be around 3mm deep.

725_naca_doublers01_900.jpg

I covered the fuse with a few strips of Sellotape, placed some planks at the requested strategic places to have the correct local curvature, laminated them together and kept in place with some masking tape.

727_naca_doublers02_900.jpg

Even Gaston doesn’t understand my intentions very well…

I also prepared the two bearers for the servo plate and added two more planks to the fuse.

Time to head home - totally exhausted - but at least ‘half a bite’ of progress…

Hakuna matata

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR NACA Control

airfix recovery set.jpg

Chris, glad to hear you are on the road to recovery from that miserable flu bug. And who knows, the good chaps of the British Royal Air Force might even help out an errant Belgian get back in the fray. Heavens maybe even a bloomin' YANK, perchance!!!

nerd

FT bank.jpg

Edited By John H. Rood on 23/01/2020 22:49:51

Thanks for commenting, gents.

You’re mostly welcome, Steve. I guess that’s the idea of MB blogs. yes

I just hope I won’t need your RAF Recovery Set at the Great Orme, John. That is if I ever get ready for it… indecision

No rivets for me, Dirk. Maybe just a few panel lines if you can teach us how to draw them…

The F-86s have mainly flush rivets and at 1:10 they would be under 1mm. No idea how to manage to reproduce them, I’m afraid… blush

Cheers

Chris

Hello again gents,

Before going on with too much planking, I thought it was time to build the servo plate so I glued in the bearers.

728_servoplate_beams_900.jpg

One of them is ‘L’ shaped and was butted to F5 while the second is a duo of two spruce planks laminated together and glued to former F6.

These are the first of the ‘NACA planks’ to get fixed inside the fuse against F7.

746_naca_doublers03_900.jpg

… then I just went on with some more… planking.

Is this really supposed to be ‘therapeutic’??? …

Hakuna matata

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR Thera Control

Hi to all,

I had a little progress at La Grotte.

The servo plate got made up and attached to its bearers.

Like Martin, I’m using Turnigy 9018MG servos as he is quite happy with them.

737_servoplate_900.jpg

Well, in fact a single one for the elevator as I’ve had ‘problems’ with the planned rudder.

As I wrote before, the Dog’s vertical tailplane is VERY different to the standard Sabre one. Not only is it about 40mm taller at 1:10, the rudder is of course longer but more important a lot smaller in his ‘chord’ dimension.

This means that the rudder hinge axis just crosses the center of the elevator bellcrank. So, I had two choices: increasing the rudder chord a lot to bring it front of the bellcrank - but why then a scale Dog tail end - or keeping the rudder scale but not functional.

I’m going for the latter at the moment, but the jury is still out there and things might change as I have space enough on the servo plate… cool

749_naca-_doublers04_900jpg.jpg

Here’s the second NACA-doubler glued in next to the servo plate.

… too much ‘pondering’ or maybe just getting lazy but only two planks added to the fuselage this session… surprise

Hakuna matata

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR Rudder Chord Control

Thank you , Phil.

The jury is still out regarding the rudder, but I might stick to a scale-ish looking tail as that will be enough of a challenge for me.

Thanks also for your suggestion of laminating 2 x 6mm planks for the wing tips instead of using Blue Foam.

I guess that's all the difference of being a Master in front of the classroom or a 'dreaming' pupil at the back of it... indecision

... 4 fuse planks today - apart from the 'pondering' - as I need to have the front part of the fuse planked before I can start with the 'radome nose' build up.

I'm mainly working at the dorsal part of the fuse as I need to keep the belly part 'open' till the elevator bellcrank is sorted... smiley blush

Hakuna matata

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR Pondering Control

Hello,

There are others things in life than only balsa planking… surprise

… one of them is gluing Blue Foam.

I attached the earlier prepared bits and left them to dry while cutting the next load.

The main problem I have is that my sheet is only 25mm thick and I have to puzzle it together…

753_foamblocks01_900.jpg

Not a problem at first sight, but being basically a great contact adhesive, UHU Por is very rubbery and almost impossible to sand. no So, the message I got (a tiny bit) earlier in my apprentice days is to use Por for foam to foam joints at the inside and to use Superphatic at the edges of the foam or for joining it to wood. yes

Hakuna matata

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR Sanding Control

Hi Chris,I'm using cement to glue foam blocks that need sanding.The foam cement that is used to glue the fairings between wall and ceiling,moluren as we call them,sands like butter !!

BTW ,I made you a canope frame this evening,so it will be dry and ready to cut by the weekend.I will have it with me at Wavre if our meet is still on the agenda ? Greetz , Dirk.20200128_223649.jpg

Thanks for the tip, Dirk.

That 'ceiling mouldings' foam cement must be available in DIY-stores, then. I'll get some during my next visit to Brico;.

Yep, our Wavre meeting is still very much on my agenda. I'll be at the townhall Sunday in between 10 & 10.30am.

Thanks in advance for the 'frame' and please, don't trim it too close as the Dog canopy is a bit different than the standard one. If you can, just a marker line showing the outline of your trimmed Vortex canopy should be great. yes

Thanks again & cheers

Chris

Hi again,

I went on with my foam construction including the smaller nose blocks.

I’m still using the Por/Superphatic method but of course I will try Dirk’s cement tip next time.

755_foam_nose01_900.jpg

A bit of shaving down with the razor saw first, followed with thin slices removed with a hot Nichrome wire.

I may have been a tiny bit too ‘aggressive’ at some spots, but nothing that a smear of lightweight filler can’t handle… wink

The shark mouth has been roughly sculpted internally to prepare for the later (filler?) sanding.

758_foam_nose02_900.jpg

I realize it looks quite ‘agricultural’ at the moment, but I hope to give it a better look once sanded down a bit… cool

Hakuna matata

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR Mouth Control

To ‘any living soul still watching’,

The more I have some balsa planks being glued together, the more the F-86 seems ‘enormous’.

Of course, I should finally be realizing now that I’m building the ‘Dog’-version… angel

The D, K or L versions are indeed ‘bulkier’ or ‘fatter’. My 1:10 fuselage for example is 20mm longer and around 6mm larger behind the cockpit area down to the tail at 4mm thicker at F10.

The more planks I ad, the worse it becomes. Now I can’t compare with the fuse of a standard Sabre as designed by Martin and Gordon but I’m slowly getting a bit worried… indecision

As the majority of the Mass Builders seem to be on 'stand-by', there aren’t that many pictures of completed F-86 fuselages to find in the MB blogs on the forum, but mine starts to look like the natural product of a pregnant U-boot and an A-400… surprise

It might also be the Arch of Noah with a ‘heavy’ problem of obesity though, but why nickname it ‘Dog’ then instead of ‘Whale’… ???

Hakuna matata

Chris

BRU - BE / CTR Obesitas Control

Edited By McG 6969 on 31/01/2020 20:33:46