Stampe SR7 building blog

Indeed, worth checking. It's only 10 minute's work to cut out correct replacements if they are wrong, but worth knowing about in advance!

I'd held off starting this model in the hope that Sarik would produce a wood pack, but gave up after a few months had passed. In fact, I've found cutting out all the parts quite satisfying (and much cheaper of course). It doesn't say whether the full pack comes with a cockpit moulding, that was the trickiest part of the build so far and I would have gladly paid for one.

I'm a fair way through the first wing panel now, I'll post some pics when I've built as far as the modification for flaps.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Well, it's finally finished! I've still got to select a prop size to give the power I need. It's come out a bit lardy at about 75 ounces, with battery, so I'll prop it for 450-500W. The weight probably comes from several sources. Adding flaps, heavy wheels and a bigger motor than it really needs all contribute.

I chose the powertrain to make use of some 4s 2200 packs that weren't used anywhere else, they have a similar energy capacity to the 3s 3000s that Peter used. I'm not too worried about the weight as its a bit less than my Ballerina, with only a slightly smaller wing.

The colour scheme is a bit of a hybrid - photos of it in the museum show black wingtips and no lettering on the wing, as on my model, but I've added the checkerboard fin because I liked it! Covering and trim are HK film, given a coat of Plastikote matt lacquer because the museum example looks matt.

I'll give a flight report when I've had the chance to try it.

20220210_110259.jpg

20220210_110324.jpg

20220210_110349.jpg

20220210_110719.jpg

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

She flies! I briefly visited our field and had a 5 minute maiden. The grass was fairly damp and not that short, so I needed lots of up to start the take-off run as she wanted to nose over. Lift off was smooth, with a steady climb out. Power is adequate for more than scale performance, but not too excessive. The only trim change needed was a few blips of up.

Taken to height, the stall was fairly benign, with one wing dropping gently. Rolls are nice and axial, and loops satisfyingly large. I didn't explore inverted flight on this occasion. 

I then tried the flaps. Take off setting is about 20°, landing about 60°. Neither caused a significant trim change, so I decided to land using the flaps to reduce the chance of a nose-over with a high speed arrival. She came in nice and gently and settled on her wheels. She started tipping forward when I tried to taxi back though.

I checked the cg in case it was a bit forward, but she balanced dead on the spar as shown on the plan. I'll try bending the u/c forward a tad, I can't guarantee I bent it exactly to the plan template.

Another winner Peter, even with extra weight and flaps. Looking forward to many enjoyable flights.

• 3 months later...

Still really enjoying flying mine, I'm really glad I added the flaps as they provide a further scale element to the flying. Strutter, I see that Sarik are now selling laser cut parts if you want to exchange money for a bit of time. Don't think they do a canopy though, which I found to be the trickiest part of the build.