Stampe SR7 building blog

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Being lazy I've been waiting to see if Sarik are producing laser cut parts. Doesn't look like that's happening so I've just made copies of all the ribs and formers and started sticking them to wood! I got some orangey-yellow film from HK that looks just the right colour from studying pictures of the museum example.

It saves an awful lot of money doing your own cutting out. 

Yes, The Hobbyking film is the one that I used and it looks very accurate.

I got my registration letters done by my favourite Vinyl cutting company on Ebay, Fastsignuk. which is very quick, reasonable price and accurate. Send him the picture of the full size and he will do the registrations.

• 2 months later...

Just thought I would show the progress on mine so far. Supposed to be a winter project, but I started early! Haven't started the wing yet, it will take me through the winter.

I have a 4s setup ready to put in it, my 4s 2200s have similar storage to a 3s 3000, so if I prop it right performance and duration should be fine.

The motor is a bit long to fit in the plan cowl, so I moved the firewall back (and resized it accordingly) and made the cowl longer.

I'll post any significant progress over the coming months. Is anyone else building one?

16325670746708549236955660664465.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks Peter. Just got the cockpit to do, then I'll start on the wing. I've decided to give myself some more work by fitting flaps, as one of the photos I found online shows them deployed. I know it won't really need them, but it will add a bit more interest to the flying experience. 

That photo also shows the checkerboard fin, so I'll have to replicate that for authenticity! The checkers seem to have been taken off when it got to the museum.

• 1 month later...

I've now tackled the bit I was dreading - canopy glazing. I used birch ply for the three hoops, as lite ply seemed a bit fragile.  I also let in 1/16x1/4 ply strips running horizontally where the horizontal scale frame runs. Finally, I faced the front of the front hoop and rear of the back one with 1/8 balsa, then shaped the edge to match the angle of the acetate screens, for extra glue area. I made paper templates, then glued on the acetate pieces with UHU Por, with a few screws to hold the bottom in. External framing was added with insulation tape.

I've nearly finished cutting out the ribs, so wing construction will start soon.

20211028_100820.jpg

That looks good.

Since that model I designed the Ran's Chaos which has much bigger hoops and found the best method was to make a pattern of the inside of the hoop and glue on about 4 or  5 strips of 1/32" ply. This makes an incredibly strong hoop.

A bit late for you but it may help others.

Yes, I can imagine that would be strong Peter. One little discovery I made along the way is that UHU Por will clean off of acetate by gently rubbing with a rag damped with meths. Meths is quite a mild cleaner an doesn't attack the acetate.

On another aspect, I only noticed a few days ago that the pictures of your model, and those of the full size, show a small fairing at the bottom of the fin l.e. This isn't on the plan. No matter, the fairing on the prototype looks like it was added, ie it isn't blended in, so it will be easy enough for me to add once the tail feathers are glued to the fus.

No, if I slot the spar in, the front of the ribs sit back from the line of the l.e. and the rear of the ribs overhang the t.e. The spar slots are too far forward by differing amounts in just these 3 ribs.

It only took 10 minutes to cut some new ribs and I cut the spar slots by putting the ribs over the part constructed wing.

Not a huge deal, but I thought I would flag it up for anyone else doing the build.

It is possible.  I draw my plan and then trace it and get it printed. If I find an error on my drawing as I build it I note it and then correct the tracing.

I then send the tracing in as a PDF file along with the  rest of the material.  The PDF file is then sent to a chap in Corfu who does the final plan for the magazine..  I will not list some of the errors that I have found.

I then get sent the final version which will have been laid out in a different way and I check the plan by laying my tracing over the final plan make any corrections

The corrections are sent back.

It is quite possible that I missed this particular error when proofing the final plan.  

So I am afraid that you will have to cut out some replacement ribs or just infil the wrong slots and cut new ones.

Sorry

Just one other point.  I design my wings on Compufoil. This allows me to print out the complete wing structure including all the ribs.I then actually use this and trace it for my final wing drawing including tracing the printed out ribs. So definitely not my original eStampe2 pdf.pdfrror

I have tried to insert a copy of my original wig plan here, not sure if it works