Oodalally - Build Log

• 3 weeks later...

I haven't had much experience with iron on covering as I usually use glass fibre and paint for finishing my models.

I am still yet to master the correct techniques for covering the wing tips.

Peter, what temperatures do you set your iron for sticking and shrinking the hobbyking film? I am wondering if I am not going hot enough when trying to pull and stretch over compound curves.

Hi Geoff

I use the maximum setting for Hobbyking covering. That is on the normal standard covering iron.

The secret of covering compound curves is to pull the covering while heating it and then pull it down.

With a bit of practice it is amazing just how much of a compound curve you can cover.

Admittedly Solarfilm was a little better in that respect but the hobbyking stuff is pretty good especially on Oodalally which has few really tight compund curves

This cowl was covered with the HK stuff. Looks good from a few feet off

19.jpg

stampe sr-7.jpg

I have a question if I may:

This is the scheme that I have come up with (Not to scale)

final scheme small.jpg

I am wanting to put a checkerboard pattern on the underside of the wing. This would mean ironing it on top of the blue film which is over the open structure of the wing. Will this be ill advised as it is not a flat surface?

Any comments gratefully received.

Yes, it can be done with some care.

I would suggest positioning it and ironing it down round the edges with a cooler iron so the film does not shrink away. You can leave one small outlet at the outer edge to allow air to escape. Leave the film over length in this area soypu can iron it down afterthe rest is ironed down.

Any bubbles left after the everything is ironed down can be punctured with a pin.

I would suggest strating off with a smaller piece on the tailplane

Edited By Peter Miller on 08/12/2019 18:18:30

• 3 weeks later...