F3-RES

Tim Donald

I have been looking for a thermal soarer kit and have been reading quite a bit about F3-RES. Having not been flying for quite a few years this is all new to me but I am quite interested. Just wondering if many people have taken up the class in the UK and if there are any events here? If I am going to build a 2m glider it might as well conform so any suggestions on the best kit?

So far I am tending towards the Pu-RES or Slite v2 but this is mainly from good reviews online.

Following my return to RC modelling (now retired), I wanted to try some thermal gliding. I was always put off by the need to manage a bungee, not really practical in some flying sites. During my lay-off, electric flight has been developed to a very high level. This was the way to go for me.

I only recently started with a 2m ARTF, powered by a small and inexpensive motor and (tiny) battery. It works very well and is very convenient. I joined in the F5J and Esoaring comps in my area and have enjoyed it tremendously, learning a lot on the way.

I have a few 2m gliders and have built the 3m "Inside F5J" and have recently bought an "AndREaS" 2m RES kit.

I hope that you do try it out and enjoy the trip.

One note, the balsa kits are a little expensive, I have one now, but I opted for a Top Models Pegasus to start with, this was only a little more expensive and is fully built to a high standard. If building is your thing.... the kits are reportedly very well produced and are satisfying to build.

I should add that the RES kit models come out very light and may not be a good choice for the typical breezy conditions that we enjoy here...  better buy a heavier model too... 

Edited By David Hall 9 on 05/11/2019 11:29:16

Thanks David, I was considering electric powered but though I might leave it for later down the line. I like to keep things simple but I can definitely see the attraction there. For me the building is half the fun so I'm sure it won't be long before my model count increases again ! I had initially planned to build a Elan 100 but since learning about the RES class and the good performance of the gliders it makes sense to go that route. I have to agree about the price of the kits though, they do seem expensive, about 3 times the price of the Elan 100 !

I had the impression that F3J comps were becoming harder to find..maybe others with better knowledge of the comps run in the UK are able to chip in...

The RES class is very attractive as a means of offering competitive aeroplanes that aren't prohibitively expensive, as an alternative to the all moulded carbon fibre airframes that dominate the current Open F3J/F5J/ALES comps (rightly so, as they are superb at what they do in the right hands).

The RES class seems to be more active elsewhere in Europe. The current F5J/ALES comps regularly run around the country allow for a 2m class that runs with the Open class. The 2m class is not as well supported by the top manufacturers as the Open class (>4m) and several affordable models can be competitive. There is no reason that RES models shouldn't be used in these comps (many are, but most seem to be pretty lightweight and so best suited to calmer conditions). For me, it's more about the experience of comp flying than being a contender, although that is beginning to change.

I have been flying F3-RES in the BARCS postal comps for 3 years now.

Its a great class and as mentioned, cheap and affordable with some quality kits available fro hyperflight and I think t9hobbysport

I use an own design model (Mad Hatter) and am about to start building a new one for the 2020 contest season.

F3J has been mainly dropped by the BMFA and FAI in favour of F5J. Personally the price of a competitive F5J is way out of my budget although I have considered making my own. There are still some who seem quite competitive with home made models.

Have a go, take part in the BARCS postal with simplified rules and shorter small field bungee - we are not overwhelmed by entrants and I would love to see a lot more. When we get to a critical mass taking part, the object is to run a contest or two to the full UK translated published rules. If you haven't seen them, I have added an unofficial copy to my blog. Note, there is no official UK rule set yet.

Martyn

Martin, I was originally going to build something bigger (100"+) to be used both from the slope in really light winds and from a flat field with a bungee. It was only when I read about the RES gliders that I thought that might be a better option (higher performance then an old style 2m glider and able to compete if the chance arises). To answer your question, probably not but always open to suggestions ! I enjoy building too which puts me off both pre-built and fancy composite models (aside from their price).

On the chance you may be tempted then, I am very pleased with the Hollein Innovation, that I have flown this year. Rather than cover with film I painted with clear non shrinking dope. It is light so gentle Hi-Start elastic needed. In the right conditions soars well. RE only so spot landings need luck and judgement!

Click here for a larger photo of the model.

Regarding the price of kits, if you are comfortable with it you can buy many direct from European retailers or manufactures. Obvioulsy a UK dealer must add shipping and currency exchange plus make his margins.

Posted by Tim Donald on 06/11/2019 16:19:32:

..... but I would rather like to build one myself.

I am not sure I understand you. The Innovation is supplied as a laser cut kit, as are balsa and ply models stocked by Hyperflight.

It is not a competition model however, so will not meet the ambition for highest performance, which as you note comes at a higher price.