Canadair F4 Sabre XB812

Posted by McG 6969 on 26/11/2019 20:50:49:

I think you have some very naughty com'rades, Chris. frown

Or are they just plain envious?

Anyhow, great achievement with your inboard rudder rod.

I would like to implement the idea in my 'Dog'... but that might have me ready for June... 2021 !

Cheers

Chris

Naughty is mild Chris, more like rude!laugh

But I doubt they're envious! I have to work extremely hard just to keep up with them in quality!yes

The rudder linkage took me around 4 hours total so shouldn't add too much time to the build. Not sure it's worth it just to have a rudder but it's fun working through these challenges.

Now, can anybody edit out my Hurricane from the photo please! yeslaugh

'Rude' it is then, Chris. surprise

Those '4 hours total' easily would mean '4 days plus' for me... blush

IIRC, some of the gang's PSS machines have no operational rudder at all. Is it not compulsory then for PSS?

I already ordered some 3mm ball links and other stuff, so one never knows. angel

By the way, in Belgium, our 'wind gods' are barely visible... wink

pss_windgods_700.jpg

Cheers

Chris

More faffing about with the rudder idea! I decided to enlarge the hole through the elevator horn to allow the rudder torque rod to pass through complete with ball joint si I could tighten it properly outside the fuselage after applying threadlock.

the tail linkages have now been connected and a light smearing of silicone grease applied. After planking the underside this will be the last time they'll be seen.

20191130_230527.jpg

Servos also installed. I used an M2 clevis for the rudder and an M3 clevis for the elevator, as explained previously.

20191130_230827.jpg

Finally able to start building the tail up and start shaping. I used 1/2" triangular stock to fillet the fin to the fuselage and light weight filler to blend it in. AFT also sanded to shape.

20191201_010756.jpg

Tailpipe is also getting closer to the final shape. Quite complicated lines and I used several photos from google to get something that worked.

20191201_010832.jpg

The 10 degree diheadral looks really cool with the fin! laugh

20191201_010901.jpg

Now back to the last of the planking and sanding the nose.yes

Great progress again, Chris B. cool

Questions, please:

> did you keep your GF bellcrank the same dimensions and angle (105 degrees) as the SLEC one?

> is the piano wire for the half elevators inserted in brass, styrene tubes or just into the laminated balsa?

Thanks & cheers

Chris

Hi Chris.

Yes the bellcrank/ele horn is the same dimensions and angle as on the plan which depicts the Slec part.

The piano wire fits straight into the slots cut in the 2 halves of the elevators. When ready these will be glued in with epoxy.

I should also add the elevator has absolutely no free play in it at all and the elevators halves are rock solid even before being glued. The BAE Hawk I picked up from the nationals had about 1/4" play up and 1/4" down making total "slop" of 1/2". That was modified to around 1/4" total "slop" and flew OK after initial trimming and adjustments.

I'm not sure just how critical this is. Some sources say any free play will cause pitch instability and others say as long as the AFT is balanced it'll center itself. I figure no free play at all is the safe way to go! yes

tail end looks great for a bit of careful shaping Chris, the fin and tailplane look very tidy indeed in those latest photos! I still can't believe how far your build has progressed in the 30 days of November - really impressive! Of course with a full 6 months to finish her off from this position we will be expecting surface rivet details! cool

Posted by McG 6969 on 01/12/2019 17:35:37:

Hi Chris.

Thank you for taking your precious time to answer my queries. yes

Cheers

Chris

You're welcome Chris.yes Happy to share. Are you going for a rudder? Nice to have if you use it all the time when flying but certainly not essential.

Thanks Phil, but why would you mention rivets! Rivets, in the right place, and the right number... surprise Panel detail, weathering detail, cockpit, trinkets... There's another 3 months on the build right there! laugh

Hello Chris,

Well, yes. I'm trying to figure out if I can manage to have a go at an operational rudder.

But as I don't like the external control rod - purely for an aesthetic reason - I would like to use something similar to your idea. If you don't mind, that is.

Maybe I'll make a mock up version of both F15s and start from there...

Thanks again & cheers

Chris

I have a lot of time in Meteors, mostly during the Malaysian Emergency and also out of Hal Far and Aden and West Kembleford and Barton-Shagglewood, and OK yes the more I look at it, Sub-Lt. Barlow's model *might* be one. FURTHER RESEARCH REQUIRED. This all very serious business, and therefore I must assist where I can.