Tony's F-86 Sabre Build

More work carried out over the weekend. Installed the lower wing spars on both wings as indicated on the drawing as 1/8 x 1/4 spruce or hard balsa and this item was also listed on the original additional wood pack list. Only to find when dry fitting the wing ribs that the spars are far to small. Should be 3/16 x 1/4, as listed in the updated wood pack list. My work around is by adding balsa strips onto the top of the 2 lower spars before installing the ribs.

• 4 weeks later...

The wing build continues with the installation of the modified wing ribs that allow straws/tubes to slide through the enlarged hole in the rib, thus allowing me to thread the wiring through for the wing nav lights and servo leads.

19.jpg Also, the top wing spars have been fitted. I have also obtained some lead weights so I do not have to use soup cans anymore. The next part of the build will be the fitment of vertical shear webs and the false T/E & L/E strips. Will also have to think about servo selection and how to mount them in the wings. May also think about adding hard points in the wing for the possible addition of external wing tanks in the future.

21.jpg

22.jpg

23.jpg

24.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Many thanks to Martin for e-mailing me the under wing tank drawing. I have cut out all ply parts by hand using a coping saw and a file. With hindsight maybe having a lazer cutter available would have been ideal. I have now only dry fitted the 6 tank formers to the keel section and some more adjustments are required to get the alignment correct before applying the glue.

29.jpg

30.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Some progress....I can report today that the T/E flap and aileron hinge support blocks have now been fitted.

30b.jpg

Also the lower wing skin holes for the servo access have been cut out.

32.jpg

I have made plywood servo support plates that will allow the fitment of the wing servos and associated access plates. Yes, I do appreciate that this may be slightly over engineered. I have also made the component parts for the external wing tank release system and associated hard points where the pylon will insert into the lower wing skin.

33a.jpg

The servo for the tank release system has its support structure made, now awaiting securing.

35.jpg

I have now installed the wiring for the wing navigation lights and the servo extension leads through the straws.

36.jpg

37.jpg

• 1 month later...

Finally, I had the chance to connect up all the rods and wires for the external tank release system. Now I need to glue the entire system into the wing assembly. The system works very well.

38.jpg

39.jpg

Had a little challenge to adjust the wire operating arms so as to maintain sufficient clearance from the wing ribs but all sorted now.

• 2 weeks later...

After completing the release gear it was time to start the fitting of the top wing skins. I used pins and lead weights for the initial application of the top skin.

42.jpg

Then I thought about some weight that would apply pressure to the entire curve for the top skin. I then had inspiration to used a well known Swedish flat packed furniture maker who also makes good frezzer bags so I filled some up and have used as weights. All went well with the left hand wing but before you all ask ......yes one of the bags broke and I had a wet carpet.

44.jpg

Now both top skin panels are now fitted and all is well.

45.jpg

46.jpg

Looking forward to the next stage of the build.

Tony,

That is one of the ideas behind a mass build - to introduce new building techniques and have everyone share their different ways of doing the same things.

I've learned how to fit frop tank linkages and how to dress up a cockpit from this mass build.

Planking is a lot easier than it looks and makes for a quick build of a complex shape with minimal wastage of materials.

If it was built of half inch sheet you would end up planing away lots of expensive balsa!

I have been constantly amazed at how everyone has taken the same design and made a unique model from it!

Kerp up the good work.

Martin.

Edited By Martin Gay on 12/04/2020 16:41:53

Let the "Planking Begin" this is probably the most challenging part of the build for me so far. I have taken to soaking a strip of balsa in the bath and then pin it to the fuselage sides. I have a SLEC balsa stripper which seems to work very well. I can also see how a beveled edge on the balsa strip could make the joint much better but the tool I have is not that advanced unless I bend the blade. I have taken on Martyn K's idea of fitting 2 larger strips (20mm each) side before fitting the other 1/4 inch strips.

50.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

The majority of the planking is now complete. I must admit I would not be an award winner at the annual plankers competition. If my Sabre was a boat it would probably sink as I have a number of gaps between some of the planks. However, on the plus side it has been a very good learning experience. I would say with more practice the end product would be better. On to the filling and sanding phase of the build.

50.jpg

I started with 2 planks of 20mm wide each side as a starter for 10.

51.jpg

Then started to add other planks.

52.jpg

Coming along well I think.

53.jpg

54.jpg

55.jpg

Some more planking still required and then to fit out the internal snakes, battery box, wing plate and the cockpit detailing.

Many thanks go to Andy M and Martyn K who have helped me with my build project.

• 4 weeks later...

Progress has continued with a trial fit of both fuselage halves. All seems to be OK so far.

59.jpg

Fitment of the battery box, wing mounting plate and the installation of the rudder outer snakes was next on the list of jobs to do. Had to enlarge the existing holes in the formers to allow my outer snakes to fit.

I have modified F4 slightly to accommodate the fitment of the pilot and his ejection seat and a some cockpit detail.

62.jpg

Next to fit was the wing attachment plate.

63.jpg

Whilst waiting for the glue to dry I have started on the fin and rudder assembly.

60.jpg

When the glue has dried, tomorrow I plan to assemble both halves of the fuselage and have a look at the elevator operating system.

Edited By Anthony Crawford on 22/05/2020 17:19:19

A major milestone has been achieved this weekend with the 2 fuselage halves being joined together.

63a.jpg

All glue now dry and all the clamps removed.

64.jpg

Time was also taken to roughly shape the nose air intake assembly.

65.jpg

I have decided to install an image of a compressor blade assembly onto the front face of F1 to give the illusion of an engine being visible from the front of the model. I am aware that the scale of the engine is not spot on.

66.jpg

Time has also been spent on the detailing of the ejection seat, curtsy of Andy Meade and his super 3D printer.

56.jpg

I have now added some Colour and detailing, more work required.

67.jpg

That concludes this weeks update on the build.

Hello Anthony,

some great work. Re your comment about producing a bevelled edge to planks all I have done is glue a piece of hardwood to one side of a standard balsa stripper.

I then only use the slec balsa stripper aluminium guide as a straight edge to hold the sheet and stop the planks drifting off true.

It does help, hopefully pics below help demonstrate what I mean.

Craig

img_2395.jpg

img_2394.jpg

img_2410.jpg

Edited By Craig Carr on 24/05/2020 21:52:29