TN Hurricane

Marko

I intend to build the Hurricane offered in this months RCM&E and would offer this solution to the apparent problems over the plans.  Find someone that can copy the plans, I did [ £4.00].  Chop and tape these until you have a complete side elevation.  Buy some tracing paper and trace the right hand wing.  Turn the tracing over and tape it to the missing left hand side, you might have to highlight the image on the side now facing up.  Do likewise to the tailplane  then return to photo copy people and spend another £4 and you will have the satisfaction of owning complete plans, I did this when I built the Sky 40 and it worked well.  Of course it has to be IC powered if you want it sound like Merlin.

Ted. 

Ian, You could just use a commercial tail wheel unit....I made one from 12swg piano wire, a length of brass tube as a bearing that fits through the ply spine, and the collet on the end to keep in place. I fix this in to position before covering so I could fit the collet through the fuse stringers.

Clive, yes can't see a problem with flaps.... 

Just a note on the plan layout......yes I agree its not prefect but RCM&E are limited by the paper size (being approx A2) when they offer a free plan..... so I guess chopping about of my original 2 sheet (AO)plan was inevitable.

Tony  

john powles wrote (see)
Doug .I traced the plan & got it reprinted in a mirror image & also had it reduced by 15% so I could use a smaller  electric motor & battery etc. the cost was for the full size was a bit to expensive on setup.

Ah........Snap...........

I was planning on doing similar.................is there any way you could help me, saving reinventing the wheel?? 

Any costs reimbursed, of course.............

Tony Nijhuis wrote (see)

Just a note on the plan layout......yes I agree its not prefect but RCM&E are limited by the paper size (being approx A2) when they offer a free plan..... so I guess chopping about of my original 2 sheet (AO)plan was inevitable

Tony  

Tony,

Thanks for all your work on designing and bringing this model through to be published, and I fully realise this is not "your" part, but I do feel that plans should either be printed in "ready to build" form OR published in reduced scale but complete form, as it's far easier to rescale a complete plan than to copy everything trying to stay 1:1 and then piece the bits back together! 

i am seriously considering building the hurricane but only have a limited budget , i know how much cnc pack and engine will cost but what about the rest? could anybody give me any pointers as to where i can get the other building materials from and at what cost.already have electronic components due to sad demise of previous plane, any help would be greatly appreciated

jim

Jim,

If you bought the wood (as listed on the plan) including sheets of 3mm & 2mm lite ply for hand cuting the CNC parts  from a model shop you may end up paying around £60. Why not speak to SLEC Ltd (balsa importers) direct, they are a little cheaper than the model shop.

Bravedan, Alway a pleasure to know the plan has brightend up someones day.....we sure do need it at the moment...... 

Tony 

Why not make the full size plans available as an electronic file, (after all, they are supposedly "free" in the magazine)? That would alleviate the problems RCM&E have with paper size, we could print off our own copies and every-one's a winner .

There are certain areas of the forum that are for "subscribers only" so if RCM&E were feeling a bit protective, the electronic plans could be restricted to that area. If the intention is truly to bring "traditional building" back to the great unwashed, surely this would be a better way forward.

i have yet to see the plans for the hurricane, but after talking to my dad, i am seriously considering taking it on as a winter project myself ( a little competetion never hurt anyone). Besides, i mite even get to repay him for the last plane he built that i test flew for him ( see jim allum message). It wasnt pretty!

what sort of build time would i be looking at. And does anyone have any suggestions on a REASONABLY priced ic motor. And an internal silence. Your help would be gratefully recieved.

Simon

What a glorious plan and model Tony has created. It certainly ought to be one that gets built this winter on the farm here in se Nebraska. I received the special issue on Wednesday (8/10) and quickly opened the plan and article just to get an idea of what I'd be getting up to. About the only question is IC or electric! We'll see which wins out.

Harold 

As I have a Hurricane a 40 inch size built from Giles Fowler plan converted to electric, I'm looking forward to getting my copy of the 2008 special issue ( being in Australia they arrive about 3 months lat in our shops). But mean while can some one tell what the electric motor and battery setup was, so I can make some advance buys.

Stuart

Hullo Stuart,

According to the data file in the article Tony used a 4 Max PPO 5055 580 with a 70A brushless esc and UBEC with a 5s 5000 mAh LiPo. The prop used is an APC 14x7 e prop. That would equate to around 1000 watts assuming reasonable battery performance and running the esc to maybe 80% of amp limit.

In terms of h.p. that would be around 1.35 which is certainly in the .61 IC range.

Harold

My plan arrive today, very nice, but there is no mention of wash out in the wings. I have found that all my scale war birds ( Spitfire and a ME109) require some, any any comment.

Also as I wish to use only 4 cell lipos, I'm looking at reducing the span to a maximum of 54 inches, any comments on the appropriate motor would be useful, all my motors come from the Hobbycity site as buying from the UK here in Australia is too expensive 

Regrds Stuart 

Stuart. I to reduced the hurri to 52" & I am going to use a emax 2826-06 motor about 700 wattts max I bought from hong kong for £19.00 also a controler 60amp for £22.00inc. post I,ll leave you to work out what that equates to in aussi dollars . it may be worth your while to have a look on the ebay RC sites for these items .

Hi everyone

Have just started building the Hurricane, brought the 4 Max stuff and the woodwork, last time I built from a plan was about 30 years ago. So far so good will add some pic,s later.

not sure about the retracts mechanical or air, anybody have any ideas.

Hi All

If you install the mechanical retracts before you sheet the wing as in Tony's photos the wire linkage it is easy to acheive , But if you try to put the linkage in afterwards its a bit of a fiddle ! I've just found that out with Tony's 62" Spit !

The build pictures are a great help , I wont make the same mistake with the Hurricane.

Air retracts dont have this problem as your just running a pipe , but they maybe more expensive once you've bought a pump .

Ray Wood   Maidstone