Chipping Sodbury Model Flyers

John Emms 1

Hi All,

I happened to be chatting with the deputy chair of the local Conservatives this morning (we were both laying wreaths for the local parties), and he is also a Chipping Sodbury Town Councillor. I mentioned about the history of model flying in Chipping Sodbury, the fact that the official site on the Common is inaccessible, and the Ridings says that "drones" are banned. I also said that I am a model flying instructor, qualified to fly at public displays, and that if I flew one of my models over now, he would not hear it. I also spoke of the social advantages to older people, and that I have never known of a model flyer developing dementia (Dementia prevention and dementia friendliness being a big thing right now). He said that there is a Town Council meeting this week, and he will mention it.

Whilst not wanting to step on the local club's toes, I see real possibilities of flying "sensible" electric models on accessible areas of the Common, and on the Ridings when it is not being used for other purposes, as a part of the Chipping Sodbury club.

So, if you are a model flyer who lives in (or close to) Chipping Sodbury and Yate, please do get in touch.

Regards,

John