Winter is here....who's been flying?

Out at 9 am in zero degrees , brilliant sunshine, no wind. Lovely flying weather !🌞🌞4 out by 9-30 and no crashes. A new Roc Edge flies well enough but there’s a glitch which occurred 3 times on 4 flight so I got it down for its owner ! No damage but no idea as to what’s wrong from quick inspection ! He’s got a bit of detective work ! My new EFlite Mig 15 is a little beauty ! Colin

• 2 months later...

Judging by the number of posts, not many have been flying, that includes myself.

The nearest i am getting at present, is walking daughter No. 1's dog, whilst her family is on holiday, escaping the UK weather. What in Sweden, I do not get it.

Yesterday i pondered how one of my anticipated flying sites has become out of bounds due to the 5 mile exclusion zone around airfields.

As I trundled along the beach looking out to sea, I could see that whatever the state of the tide, the wind would be unhindered.

wp_20200219_08_33_07_pro.jpg

the tide was on its way out, the wind deafening, supposedly at 50-70 mph, carrying the sound of the crashing waves.

A little further along I came to the sand dunes which I hoped may provide sufficient lift for slope soaring, as done at Sylt on the Baltic coast in Northern Germany.

wp_20200219_08_56_17_pro.jpg

the problem as I saw it was that the face of the sand dunes is undulating with a thick covering of rough grasses.

However I was really surprised to watch our local news that was reporting on completely flooded fields. I dismissed the item as something that was happening in the south, probably London, therefore really important to the rest of us. Yet it turned out to be just a few miles away(approx 3), at the end of the Fylde.

I had also considered flying from the beach, yet being right on the edge of the zone, I suspect i would be contravening some regulation, by someone or other.

So await the cessation of the rain, the wind and above all a degree of drying out of the track leading to the field.

Next week, once the dog has gone, I will start checking the charge of my models and TX, roll on "It's Spring, who has been flying".

Ah, I hope I have my registration number and the regs have not changed, life used to be so simple.crying 2

Posted by Erfolg on 21/02/2020 14:32:09:

Yesterday i pondered how one of my anticipated flying sites has become out of bounds due to the 5 mile exclusion zone around airfields.

While by default, the standard zones extend up to 2.5NM radius from the centre point of the main runway along with the extended centre line stubs, ATC are empowered to allow flying within these zones on application and have to have good reason to refuse permission. It might be worth making an application or two if you have alternatives to your waterlogged field.

You'll be pleased to know that the pampered and privileged South has had its share of wet and windy weather since the New Year but we've managed to fly on a weekly basis with suitable models.

Wet & windy here in S Wales and the only thing of mine to take to the air in the last week or so were three 6ft fence panels that did a bit of free flight. frown

Annoying, but nothing compared to the flooding that people have suffered lately, and sometimes more than once.

Ron

Posted by Martin Harris on 21/02/2020 17:46:42:

You'll be pleased to know that the pampered and privileged South has had its share of wet and windy weather since the New Year but we've managed to fly on a weekly basis with suitable models.

And in my part of the pampered and privileged South I haven't flown since the 8th Feb. That was the weekend of Storm Ciara, but Saturday was only dreary and dismal so I got a couple of flights, unlike the following day which was wet and windy.

The next weekend (Storm Dennis) was wet and WINDY both days, so no flying. This coming weekend (22/23 Feb) looks like being windy tomorrow (23mph, gustng to 41 at noon) and slightly worse with possible rain on Sunday.

I guess I did fly a fair bit in January!

Edited By John Privett on 21/02/2020 21:52:27

Went to the flying field yesterday afternoon. It was rather windy but ok for a heavily loaded model like my Harvard.

harvard (6).jpg

There was a new member of our club there called Guy. He lives quite a way from us but prefers the ambiance of our club to those which are nearer. He had built a Baron, an iconic French three channel trainer.

guys baron.jpg

Guy had not flown for thirty-four years and had some difficulty landing the model in the wind but eventually he got it down alright.

guys baron 2.jpg

Edited By David Davis on 23/02/2020 09:34:34

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Flew the Harvard again yesterday. It was quite breezy so chose to fly something with a heavy wing loading. Need to adjust the engine's slow speed running.

Got a session instructing trainees this afternoon. Light winds and no rain forecast for central France during the coming week. At last!

flying the harvard 14th march 2020.jpg

harvard (1).jpg

• Like 1

Finally did get a marvellous day flying last week, but didn't post. It was fantastic to get out for the day and to get a couple of successful maiden flights for some swapmeet bargains. No flying since then though and another washed out weekend this weekend.

04 banking mustang combo bw e.jpg

• Like 1

Excellent day flying today, calm this morning then wind got up and a bit chilly midday then calm and glorious sunshine this afternoon. Blew the dust off the Taylor Craft as it hadn’t been flown for 6 months, what a great engine the Laser 155 is.

Headed up to my local slope for the 1st time this year, however the recent storms have all but washed the road away so I had to approach the mountain from the opposite side. Had only short flights of 3 - 5 minutes in between rain showers. I doubt the local council will repair the road any time soon.