Winter is here....who's been flying?

It was -7C here last night but the day dawned bright and the hoare frost on the trees made the world look magical!

I took a couple of electric models to the flying field. I couldn't be bothered with i/c stuff as the temperature was only just above freezing but I had a couple of flights with the 2x Tomboy. We then all retired to the clubhouse for mulled wine. The picture below was taken in August! cheeky

electric tomboy.jpg

It's forecast to reach a dizzying 5C on Saturady. I may well fly something a bit quicker then!

• Like 1

Posted by Matt Carlton on 11/01/2021 21:29:57:

No offence meant to anyone by the way. Just rather "Covid Sensitive' as a result of losing a couple of people in the last year.

We wore masks and maintained social distancing in the club house except when we were actually drinking the mulled wine.

Last week when it snowed I managed to get the skis on my Durafly Tundra and get a couple of STOL flights in from the garden. (We have no neighbouring houses and have fields on 3 sides) Not all that easy to avoid the trees, plants and the chicken run on the landing approach though. The snow melted by lunchtime so time to remove the skis.

• 9 months later...

Time to resurrect this thread ?

Yesterday was such a perfect day that I skipped indoor flying and spent a beautiful 5 hours at the field. Blue skies, minimal wind straight down the favoured runway.  Nice flying, no broken models, good company. Bliss.

Today: cold, windy, been bucketing down since 2:00 ?

• Like 1

Spent most of yesterday flying this Hanger 9 Cherokee, the engine finally sorted it performed very well after initial problems. It had been 16 years since it was last used and on first flights it kept cutting out resulting in dead stick landings one of which was in the rough and took the front end off. Now that I am happy with it I will put the cowl on.

DSC_1009[2469].JPG

Edited by Eric Robson
  • Like 1

Lol, same here but been pretty cold!

Field was busy - we rarely see 4 or more fliers

WHMFC02112021_1.thumb.jpg.d3178bff0ac2009ea074df33858d3e9e.jpg

The spiders were interesting - millions of tiny ones everywhere, and lots of single strand 'webs'. Most flights had arachnid passengers!

WHMFC02112021_2.thumb.jpg.ad037e0c66e1bd3bf63f9c3f1fb30290.jpg

Doesn't look wintery.....

Edited by GrumpyGnome
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

E5E4DD89-D1EA-4D1C-93B0-C88C6D175A5D.thumb.jpeg.1fe03bccd226d9e8bdfe0f10d14e7792.jpegLovely to get out this morning after all the atrocious weather of late. Whilst our strip is fine the field is waterlogged & we need to park on a lay-by a little distance away. So now operating with minimal support - model, and backpack with the Tx + stand, batteries, kneeling pad & sunglasses. 

• Like 4

Just me on my tod this afternoon.  Chilly but quite calm.  Flew my Wits Wot, PT17, Mini Sakura (I doubt I'll have the skills to fly it indoors!), and spent at least an hour lobbing my little DLG about - I now ache.  Which is bad news as I have a kettlebell session with my PT in 31 minutes......

15 hours ago, Paul De Tourtoulon said:

Oh come on David you don't have to put the rest of us at shame, we sleep in the morning,

we all arrived at 14h, around 8 of us at 10°C, and most of us flew,,,,

My fault if its cold in the morning. And the sun low in the sky too. Should be sensible like the rest of you!