Winter is here....who's been flying?

Went flying both today and yesterday afternoon. It was nice and sunny this afternoon with a temperature of 12 C. Most of the time I was instructing on a beginner's Junior 60 but we also managed to get some time in on the Bommerang. We were the only fliers there so I do not have any pictures of the event, you'll have to put up with old pictures.

Assembling the Junior 60 (3).jpg

Bastille Day 2020.jpg

Brilliant day at the field today - started freezing cold and misty, but once the mist burned off it turned into a beautiful winter day, with blue skies, zero wind and very busy airspace. Lots of good company -suitably socially distanced. Enjoyed flying my PZ Spitfire, E-Flite P-51 and Wot-4 Foam-E and especially taking delivery of my now completed scratch built Fiat CR42, courtesy of my pal Jim J. She's a real beauty.-pictured here on a frosty field and in a more natural habitat of a desert landing strip.

IMG_0240.thumb.jpg.377447d89a17144c7f12a5228c1b7c3b.jpg 

IMG_0236.thumb.jpg.015fecd4521f8c4fab413a9dd6d100f7.jpg

Edited by leccyflyer
  • Like 2

It was totally Baltic early on yesterday - freezing fog when I was loading up and even when I arrived at the field a couple of hours later it was still really cold. By early afternoon there was a little bit of warmth in the low winter sun- cold fingers are the limiting factor really, the flying conditions were quite superb. One of my flying pals had a very neat pair of lipo-powered heated gloves for between flights, they looked just the job and had a 2s1p 2200mah hard shell lipo in each glove. Will have to investigate those as an option. Up here, if you aren't going to fly in the cold, you are limiting yourself to <6 months of the year as a flying season, which would be a real shame, as some of the best flying conditions are from September onwards.

• Like 1

Flying in the North East yesterday was better than many summer days, it was 7 degrees but no wind and the sun was out all day clear blue skies heaven. 

Some of the flyers even took their winter coats off, I am 86 had my 3 jabs and feel much safer at the field than when I have to do my shopping.

• Like 2

Lovely flying weather on the weekend here, first time for ages Had the club strip to myself both day's, no idea where others were !  Patrolling the western front with Major Mannock [ Western front of Wales ] on Saturday and some good trimming flights for Citabria in the very smooth air yesterday.

large.427198897_lmfcflyin2010g.jpg.fcda8af8f756a9edd87ae6aad1a54cae.jpg

parasol 1.JPG

• Like 3

Had great weather here in Manchester over the weekend well Sunday was sunny and almost flat calm.

Decided to test my indoor version of the Fun Bat.

Only weighing 75g AUW the weather needed to be calm otherwise it maybe blown away.

So pleased I went out I can now fly it indoors confident  it will fly ok.

Steve.

Not sunny, but 2 mph gusting 4 mph was just too much of an opportunity not to be missed this lunchtime. Even managed to land it on the third attempt by trimming the tick over to super slow, that Laser 150 still shifts some air even at that RPM!

Still surprised that the rudder is so ineffective on the ground and lively in the air ? 

image.thumb.png.d4a53699018ef4c06066f2477fbc2189.png 

• Like 3

Had what felt like a full day of it yesterday.....

At the field in the morning. Flew my EFlite PT17, which I am now actually starting to like, 3 years on; my Alt DLG and my Saito powered Valiant, now I finally have a replacement hatch. Just me, the birds, and worms.  Only picture I have is of the worm casts stuck to my PT17 wheels.

PT17WormCast.thumb.jpg.83a112f921a6c081f6cd91e7c2c874db.jpg

Spent a couple of hours indoor flying with a few club mates.  Flew my Banggood Black Flyer and my Blade heli; 7 of us flying - just enough to ensure plenty of air time and a small profit on hall-hire.  

Then, in the evening, our last 2021 'Noggin and Natter' in the pub, talking random nonsense.

A good day!

Collecting Xmas food today, which will be far less relaxing.......

• Like 3

Beautiful day here in central France yesterday if a rather cold and frosty morning but what do you expect if you are 1200 feet above sea level?

I flew my Baron and I took up my trainee pilot Frans on the We Can Fly foamy trainer.

Later in the afternoon he crashed his Junior 60 on take off. He seems to have trouble with this manoevre. The model seems to enter a tight left hand turn as soon as the model leaves the ground. He's Mode 1. I think he's leaning on the stick causing the rudder to turn the aircraft. He'll have to build another fuselage now. All part of the learning process.

Boris Ready for La Coupe (2).JPG

We Can Fly.jpg

Silver Foxes.jpg

DSC01869.JPG

DSC01870.JPG

DSC01873.JPG

• Like 3

Fantastic pictures David -they really capture the spirit of winter flying, you can almost hear the crunch of the frosty grass underfoot. ?

Several of those flying the other day reported icing up of leading edges and even prop icing, plus plenty of evidence of reduced flight times, but the air was sooooooooooo smooth, that more than made up for the cold.

• 2 weeks later...