Winter is here....who's been flying?

15° C in Western France, zero wind, sunshine and haze. Lovely day.

Not been flying for a while, wind, rain, busy, so flight one in a Giant Stik was to be a check the fingers out exercise. 
So 10 minutes of B schedule stuff, accurate flying was the aim. 4 landings/touch roll and goes. Going well.

Then a long way out, it’s in a position to land, so I cut throttle, deployed the flaps. I was being casual, it was a bit fast, and the thing put its nose up,  and quarter rolled, and semi stalled, and it’s low, slow, and in the afternoon winter light it’s just a silhouette, and I never got a chance to get the flaps off and/or get orientation back.

Which leaves me with a problem. My only heavy hack, write off, and I’ve just started a long hours build of a 1/4 scale SE5, and I will need to be match fit to fly that, and I haven’t got a heavy hack.

Might need to stop the SE5, and sort out a new big hack. A chore, not pleasure, but needs must.

• Sad 1

I've been flying every day since Thursday. Absolutely perfect conditions with temps in the high teens, bright blue cloudless skies and virtually zero wind. It's been a wonderful end to 2021 and start to 2022. Going flying again tomorrow and perhaps some days during the coming week. Making the most of it while it lasts. ?

Seven of us turned out yesterday here in central France. 15C and light winds. I brought along quite a collection of models and managed to fly them all except the Big Guff because I felt honour-bound to offer a training flight on the We-Can-Fly to a beginner. One of the servos on his own model was giving trouble.

The Boomerang fitted with a Thunder Tiger 46 PRO and sporting an OS carburetter,(thanks Don,) flew very well but it requires a long take-off run, which is something a beginner would struggle with.

The Acrowot flew well and I was pleased to be able to land it on our 10 metre-wide runway and I need to do some work on Boris Baron's throttle. 

All in all a pleasant day.

1st January 2022 2.jpg

1st January 2022 3.jpg

1st January 2022.jpg

• 1 month later...

Nice pics. We had a lovely day here on the East Yorks coast yesterday...... 5 of us, which counts as busy! Haven't flown since late Jan so just took some smaller ones - Wots Wot foamy, Alt DLG, Arrows Hawk, Crack Mini Pitts.

Glorious morning and managed to break a minute (1m 2s) with my Alt. Everything came home in one piece.  Great fun. Must remember to take pics......

Yesterday was a fine day in central France. 14C and no wind. I spent the morning instructing then flew my ARTF Acrowot in the afternoon. Ten of us turned out.

I was preparing the Acrowot for another flight when I heard a a couple of blokes cry out. I looked up and saw a model spiral into the ground, the other had already hit the ground and lots of confetti floated down in the still air. An electric powered Baron had hit an ARTF V tailed electric powered glider. They were the only two models in the air at the time and was is the first mid air I've seen in six years. 

Picture of a Baron attached for those unfamiliar with the model.

Winner 20118.jpg

I've had three mid airs Trevor.

On the first occasion I was flying an ARTF Citabria. There was only one other model in the sky a Flair Cub. I didn't think that they were so close together! I was in front and below the Cub when I decided to do a vertical climb. His propeller took off my tailplane and the Cub continued to fly on with the banded on wing slightly dislodged!

On the second occasion I was flying a Flair Hooligan, wish I still had it! Several of us were in the air flying right-hand circuits. My Hooligan ploughed straight into the back of a colleague's brand new and expensive ARTF which was on its maiden flight! Hooligan by name...

The third mid air was between my Austrian Magnatilla and a clubmate's Flair Puppeteer. Several friends urged us to dogfight above the trenches! It's impossible to keep an eye on two models at the same time of course. A quick glance to see where he his and by the time you get there he's not there anymore! My undercarriage clipped the top of his wing after a frontal approach and dislodged one of his ailerons. The pilot managed to land the Puppeteer without further damage but I claimed a "victory!"

Yaaaay. Finally got out for a few hours. Was at the field for 3 hours - flew my Foamy Wots Wot once and my Arrows Viper once.  About 20 mph wind.....

Spent most time watching my mate flying his Wot4XL.

As soon as I started to pack up, the wind dropped by about 50%.  Darn those weather-gods!

Going to take my Ultra-Stick to the field to fettle the engine tomorrow..... will pop wings in car "just in case"

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, GrumpyGnome said:

Yaaaay. Finally got out for a few hours. Was at the field for 3 hours - flew my Foamy Wots Wot once and my Arrows Viper once.  About 20 mph wind.....

Spent most time watching my mate flying his Wot4XL.

As soon as I started to pack up, the wind dropped by about 50%.  Darn those weather-gods!

Going to take my Ultra-Stick to the field to fettle the engine tomorrow..... will pop wings in car "just in case"

What engine in the Ultra-Stick ?

• 2 weeks later...

Your humble servant with his venerable Senior Telemaster, Thunder Tiger 91 FS up, at the flying field of Berry Marche Modelisme, Lourdouiex St Pierre, central France, 9th March 2022. First time I'd flown the old girl in a couple of years. She needs a makeover and a little maintenance.

Senior Telemaster B2M 9th March 2022.jpg

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

Went up to the ‘field yesterday, lovely and sunny but so cold that the rubber starter cone kept falling out! We went home at lunchtime but despite the cold it was good to get out. Booked for Sunday which is looking to be even colder, brrr 🥶