Rob's F-86F NASA 228 research aircraft build

Thanks Guys. The next job was painting the black and yellow sections on the plane same as before. Then, here is what I have been doing with the markings. I decided to have a go myself as (a) this is a model I am learning from and (b) I'm mean! I found the odd markings like the NASA meatball logo on the internet and downloaded the correct fonts for the lettering. I then typed/assembled them on a simple word document changing the size as required. I also found a decal set for an F86 with all the small lettering - it was the wrong scale and cost $150! So instead of using that I grabbed some of the lettering and markings from a pinterest file and then edited them in Photoshop so they would be the right size and colour and print ok. I printed everything out on my home inkjet printer on ordinary paper and cut them up to check the size was right - I tweaked some of the sizes. Then I printed them out onto inkjet decal paper and sprayed this with matt varnish.

img_2254.jpg

The result - not all have been placed yet. This was quite painless actually. I recommend these inkjet decals. There are some issues in that the eagle-eyed will notice that you can't print white so a transparent paper will just show the colour below. You can get white backed decal paper but then you have to cut exactly around every part of the image - not practical for most things. Also any pale colour will show the colour below - however, I have a fix for it. I will try it for the RESCUE arrows which are yellow and see if it works... img_2256.jpg

So here is how I fixed the issue of using transparent decal paper on dark backgrounds. The pictures speak for themselves really. I used low-tack FROG tape to cut out the mask, cheap acrylic art paint brushed onto the model.

img_2316.jpg

img_2318.jpg

img_2319.jpg

img_2323.jpg

Here's the model with all the panel lines and decals added. Just some weathering to do before a final coat of varnish or lacquer. I have a tin of satin varnish here but I will have to brush that on. Or I could get a spray can of acrylic lacquer from Halfords (they are open if you order in advance online) but they only have gloss. I have done a sample and I'm tempted to try the brushing. Any advice?

Also I forgot to mention earlier that I set up the CG and it needed a further 50gms of lead in the front of the battery box - Im just using 4 AA sized Nimhs for my receiver battery. Total weight inc. battery is 1.92kg (4.23lbs)

img_2324.jpg

Thanks for that advice guys. Graham - I had tried to buy the Molotow stuff when I got the paint but it was out of stock and still is - its great paint so I guess it would have been as good. Anyway, I have ordered Halfords acrylic lacquer as Peter suggest - and they have satin too which looks a better match as it says its for spraying over all paints. The gloss says says its for metallics (though Im sure it would have been ok). Im waiting for a little jar of tamiya silver to do my weathering - my old one was empty.

Hi Rob,

Hope you don't mind me jumping in with a short note concerning your 'rescue' decals.

You're right when you state that light colours show difficulties to cover darker ones, like your red fuselage.

Painting a white layer in between, as you did, brings a far better result. But it might be quite fiddly depending on the shape of your decals.

After several tests, the best result I obtained was bringing the water transfer onto thin white self-adhesive vinyl, cutting the needed shape and apply it as a vinyl marking.

Hi-end vinyl like Oracal even has a grey tinted support layer under the white to give a 'shield' to the underlying colour.

It's a lot easier than painting a layer in between. wink

Hope this helps

Cheers

Chris

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Chris - that sounds like another good way to do it.

Im nearly there now. I have done some 'light' weathering, just a bit of silver paint around the scratch points and black paint to form dirt lines.

img_2337.jpg

Edited By robk on 10/05/2020 12:45:31

And here it is finished and ready to go. I reckon it wouldn't have been done without all this enforced 'home' time. Its not going to be the best F86 at the Orme by any means, but I have learned a lot, tried out new processes such as glassing, decals, spray painting so I am glad to have done it. After all the hours put in there will be some butterflies when I chuck it off the edge of a hill - hopefully in the not too distant future...img_2340.jpg

img_2342.jpg

img_2341.jpg

• 3 months later...