Intermittent Throttle Mystery on Spektrum 1S Indoor Receiver

Thanks for the replies guy but it's not just one battery but all 12, they're all a couple of years old and they all run well in my other six models so I'm thinking it has to be the receiver? It's the AR6400 Spektrum receiver brick by the way. If I try some brand new batteries it works but they're too big for the model, this would suggest that the older batteries, although fully charged and showing 4.2, just aren't cutting it anymore for this particular model!

Posted by Cliff 1959 on 07/12/2019
this would suggest that the older batteries, although fully charged and showing 4.2, just aren't cutting it anymore for this particular model!

yes

You have it Cliff

All my 1S are not all suitable in all my micro models

You can hear some " brick" types filling up and whirring before flight, just zeroing in

Suggesting more power is required in a particular model

On the multimeter most 1S will show 4.2v even when down on capacity

Some fully inflated almost useless 1S can show 4.0v

I check my 1S cells under load. To make a simmple battery checker all you need is a digital volt meter module( less than £2 from China, a push to make switch and a 4.7 ohm resistor. I described this in a letter to RCM&E a few years ago. Failling cells will show 4.2 volts when fully charged, but the voltage collapses under load.

Posted by David Tayler on 08/12/2019 09:02:47:

I check my 1S cells under load. To make a simmple battery checker all you need is a digital volt meter module( less than £2 from China, a push to make switch and a 4.7 ohm resistor. I described this in a letter to RCM&E a few years ago. Failling cells will show 4.2 volts when fully charged, but the voltage collapses under load.

I have a crude alternative, I open the throttle, and if the whirry bit don't whirr, or fails to keep whirring, out goes the battery.

There is no sense as to their longevity. The cells in this year's failure session were all about three years old. Of a batch of 5, the other three are perfect, giving full flights with a margin left when the timer goes. I just do light fixed wing, so I don't hammer them. I even try to leave them half charged between sessions. But as you say, they decide to go on a wildcat strike, and that's it.

Happy days though, I've just ordered 3 replacements, a bit bigger than the last, proper branded E Flight, less than £20 delivered, with me Tuesday via the postie. 🇫🇷 Lot of fun for that money.