Sig Somethin' Extra build

Birgir

Hi everyone

In a very easy and slow manner I‘ve started my next build. It is a Sig Somethin Extra kit I bought a few years ago. When living on an island in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean it takes some time to gather everything you need. So when I bought the kit I also bought the servos, engine, wheels and most other things I remembered.

Now when the build is well under way I remember that I havn’t bought a suitable propeller.

In the instruction manual the recommended engine is a 40 – 46 (even 50) two stroke but I decided to be on the save side and bought an ASP52A engine. Also, in the instruction manual, it is recommended to avoid heavily pitched props.

The recommended prop for the engine is in the range from 11*7 to 12*5

So now to the question at hand: Would a 12*4 be a suitable choice in this model/engine setup?

Thanks in advance

Birgir

From what I remember of my ASP52s I think the 12*4 will be a bit on the light side, if you want to keep the pitch that low then I'd use a 13 or even 14" diameter to keep the rpm down. You could try the 12*4, if your ears don't bleed it should be ok. I guess you wouldn't have easy access to a range of props readily available to try? I must admit I always ran mine on 11*7s even on a Panic bipe just to keep the noise down.

• 1 year later...

Hi everyone

I came across this old thread when practicing in the new forum so I decided to post my first post in the new forum here. 

The Somethin‘ Extra is now fully built and equipped with a 52 engine and a 11x6 prop. 

20210123_144454.thumb.jpg.d8871e0ba42c0a108be09d2a149f5614.jpg

Hopefully I will have the courage to maiden it this summer.

B.

• Like 1