Park Zone Mini Vapor

My club's indoor flying sessions are now in full swingso I dug out my Park Zone 'Mini Vapor' from its summer hibernation to have a flight or three!

With a freshly charged 1S liPo, the model binds OK, rudder and elevator operating normally, however the motor is very intermittent and when it runs, does so at quite slow revs.

The Spektrum DX6i Tx operates other models OK i.e. the pot on the throttle channel is working and not a culprit.

Several freshly charged LiPo have been tried just in case it was an odd duff cell when under load, no luck.

The connecting wires at both motor and Rx board end, gently waggled to see if it is a 'make and break' connection that can be made, no joy.

So, what would folk suggest trying, if possible, to avoid major surgery on minute components and the micro soldered wire connections?

Most of the time the motor does not work at all, just the occasional whirr.

So to me that suggests the ESC is possibly still intact and the motor too, but the pair not continuously!!!

Are the batteries actually OK, I find at the start of season, loads of these tiny 1S batteries just won't hold up under load. This year I thought I have got off light. Only 2 failures.

Dont know if you are using the original 30 mah batteries. I use the 50mha size nowadays, it flies better, for longer. Just slide the battery tray back to recenter the CG. I'm confident it will happily lift a 70 mah battery. 

Try a battery of known pedigree, i.e. It flies something else.

Edited By Don Fry on 11/12/2019 16:46:32

Thanks Don.

Alas, I have been using the same cells with the types bigger brother, 'Night Vapor' with success, though I know what you mean about these little cells 'perishing' after a seasons use.

Reading in other places, suggests these tiny brushed motors are only good for 50-60 flights(?) before replacement being required. Whilst I haven't kept count, I must have had the 'Mini Vapor' a good few years/indoor seasons flying, maybe the motor has 'burnt its brushes'?

Just found (a new) mini-motor specified for the 'Micro Vapor' on the 'bay' for £7-50, so will give that a try.

Comparing my (original) 'Mini Vapor' instruction manual spare parts list with the currently available manual, quotes different part numbers. As to whether they are one and the same, don't honestly know.

The version I have has the motor hard wired (soldered) to the Rx board, whilst the current model's motor shows a micro +/- plug fitted. Obviously much easier and practical for motor or Rx board replacement.

Incidentally, a replacement brand new Rx/ESC board is almost 2/3rds the price of a complete new model, hope my new motor is all I need to 'refurbish' my oldie.