Un-equal movement

Michael  Wright

Hi, I have what I feel to be an odd one here, I have read the article by Andy Ellison on the use of snap flaps.

I have set the wing up correctly in my Spektrum dx9, done the relevant suggested programming and although I get the ailerons going down together , the right one drops a little more than the left.

Has anybody come across this? Can anybody explain why it is happening and a possible cure?

All advice welcome!

Michael you need to go back and make sure the servos move an equal amount in response to the aileron control, adjust the linkage/end points/servo curve etc so you get this, then they should move equal in snap flap input.

Note you do need to make sure that the servo arms are in the same position when the ailerons are centered, otherwise equal rotation will probably give unequal aileron travel for a given control input.

Even with 'computer' radios the mechanical geometry of the linkage still plays a part.

It is good practise to set up the control surface movement to be almost correct by mechanical set up & adjustment, only using the computer adjustments to get them exactly right. That way any 'geometry' effects will be very minor.

Now if you can organise things so there is no linkage whatsoever any geometry problem disappears and all the adjustment has to come from the computer Tx.wink 2

Thanks for the replies, Simon, I have spent what feels like hours getting the mechanical geometry as close as possible to perfect, I could not belive how long it took! so I am happy there.

Frank, I think my problem lies within your answer, I will look again today when 'The Strife' lets me escape and hide in my shed! I will report back with my findings.

Even same make, model, batch, get assembled a tooth apart. A sub trim menu, from memory next one along from the travel memory, sorts it out.

but, even in technological times, a mechanically optimised setup is the first way to go.

All other ways is, to quote a building mate, a bodge to coverup a botch.