The Whipitteer

Richard Harris

Designed a number of years ago the original Whippit was designed as a level entry tractor autogyro specifically made from EPP. There have been a quite a few of these built with many great variants created around this idea. When we get together we do have a laugh with our models with what we call a WhippOff which is a mass fly, I think 12 in the air is our record.

Unfortunately EPP is not as plentiful to get hold as it once was so I have designed a new version built from more traditional materials (no reason why depron or EPP can't be used though)

This new one 'The Whippiteer'  is slightly larger being sized around a 3s 2200mah Lipo, it can either be built as a profile type model or with an optional built up fuselage.

The latter is what I am about to start and I hope to get the parts cut out and a build started over the Festive period. If all goes to plan I have a couple of beta builders waiting in the wings to build a couple of proof models.

I have nothing of interest to photo as yet so here are a snap of some of the original EPP variants and a video to get an idea.

fb_img_1577212438794.jpg

Rich

Edited By Richard Harris on 24/12/2019 20:00:29

Managed to grab some cutting and building time today, first thing to go together is the battery box. Please excuse the phone photos as they have come out dark:

20191227_112000.jpg

20191227_112014.jpg

The fuselage core is in two 6mm thick balsa halves, these are spaced for the 13mm mast and doubled with 3mm lite ply. The plan is to make the mast removable.

20191227_195142.jpg

20191227_195904.jpg

20191227_195119.jpg

As fins can be prone to rotor strikes I will make it removable, it will simply slot into position. A couple of cut outs infilled with balsa create the slots;

20191227_114704.jpg

20191227_115612.jpg

The bulk head holds the UC wire in a 3 part sandwich as per the original:

20191227_201100.jpg

A bit more tomorrow I hope!

Rich

Edited By Richard Harris on 27/12/2019 21:56:27

Things have got a move on, the fuselage base is made from 6mm balsa sheets laminated together creating a gap for the vertical fuz to slot into with the battery box inserted into position.

20191227_133116.jpg

20191229_101916.jpg

It wouldn't take much to make this a flyable profile model at this stage in its most simple form, however, I have started to add the side formers and sheet stringers for the 'full' bodied version.

20191229_095011.jpg

Head servos are some Corona slim wing metal geared jobs, spacers have been added for the offset mounting lugs.

20191229_134439.jpg

Nothing fancy with the motor mount as it screws straight onto the fire wall, I have my suspicions as to whether this motor will be powerful enough, only time at the field will answer this.

20191229_134504.jpg

Next job is to sheet and hatch out the fuselage front end then sand away.

A Happy New Year to anyone reading this.

I have now added the 1.5mm balsa sheeting to the front end with hatches to access the electrics. A few more bits and pieces to add and it will be ready for covering, next job to tackle will be the mast which is from a piece of 13 x 6mm spruce.

20200101_190427.jpg

In keeping with the original 'Biggledon Bond' pilot I have also made a start on modelling his 3D counterpart, as you can see it is very rough at the moment being shaped from air drying clay.

If anyone has made a latex pilot/bust before I would very much appreciate any advice as it is something I have never attempted before? I have watched a couple of videos on Youtube on how to make a silicone mould and then casting from this using resin but it seems like i may be a bit heavy for my needs.

20191221_205836.jpg

20200101_190731.jpg

20200101_184512.jpg

Sorry about the photos, they seemed to have changed rotated during the upload process.

Rich

The mast is now completed and comprises of length of 6 x 13mm spruce thickened at the top to fit the Razer control head (its the same size as the blue HK C30 head). I used two pieces 1.5 mm birch ply for this with opposing angles from one side to the other.

20200105_121426.jpg

A small 6mm balsa gusset is added to the fuselage mounting position which follows the arc of the cockpit, the mast is then sheeted each side with 1.5mm balsa. All is held in place by a couple of self tappers through the 3mm fuselage sides.

20200105_131155.jpg

The tailplane has also been sanded to an aerofoil leaving the centre section in its original 'sheet' state as I didnt fancy making up an infill piece. This tail is smaller in area than the original as it was found that it will fly without, it looks better with I think.

20200105_150723.jpg

There is a long under fin/tail skid, this will give the extra vertical area needed if built with a full body.

20200105_150646.jpg

Battery hatch is 3mm lite ply because thats all I had, simply pivots at the rear with a rotating clamp at the front with plenty of cooling holes cut into it. Its hard to see but from the rudder servo forwards is lite ply with balsa towards the rear end.

20200105_150628.jpg

20200105_150640.jpg

At this stage I am almost ready to get out the covering iron, I will make up some blade blanks this week in readiness for a sanding season.

Purely for the photograph I added one of my depron 9 cylinder 'Mickey Mouse' Radials, looks about right.

20200105_150909.jpg

Rich

Steve,

Ah, the Jones 'Kiss of death' teeth 2 I wouldn't get to hung up on the lack of replies, there always appreciated. I for one read plenty of threads and find them very interesting but I very rarely reply, when I see posts with lots of replies its generally differences of opinions spiralling out of control which soon get put to bed by the mods. Its the lack of flying weather and dark nights I reckon wink 2

Joe,

That's a good idea, problem is I don't know anyone with a 3D scanner, have you got one? Bond is not quite finished yet, I will probably get the model covered and fully flight tested before adding him.

At the moment I'm swaying towards making a silicone mould and replicating him with resin, something I have never tried before.

Rich

Joe,

I will send some PDF's of the 'Bonds' side view to see if your 3D man can do anything with them, I can send you the clay bust when I am done playing to take to the RC Hotel.

A have had a couple of fruitful hours taking advantage of the glorious weather this afternoon before 'Brenda' rolls in. Out came the belt sander and I profiled up the blade blanks which were made in the week. As this model is slightly larger than the original I have stretched each blade to 500mm rather than 450mm, this should keep the rotor loading in the same ball park.

20200112_150036.jpg

I will add the root plates and balance sometime this coming week all being well.

The lower sub fin/skid has been mounted and is aligned using cocktail sticks, not the best of pictures.

20200112_141931.jpg

20200112_152056.jpg

It is easier to see the removable fin before I clad it in film.

20200112_152042.jpg

20200112_152050.jpg

And one of the Coolwind 'Razer' mounting pieces, this is clamped to the mast via two M2 cap heads, the rear print has hexagon cut outs for the M2 nuts.

20200112_152121.jpg

More in the week I hope

Rich

The blade roots have been reinforced, I first marked the length way CG position on each blade. To help stop crushing of the blade around the mounting bolt I sometimes add a dowel or balsa with the grain running vertical.On this set I have used a square balsa section as that was what I had to hand.

20200115_184335.jpg

It is just a simple case of sanding this flush then adding the top and bottom ply strengthening plates.

20200115_184431.jpg

20200115_184507.jpg

These are epoxied into place, next task is to balance the blades.

Rich

Thanks for the comments gents.

Steve,

I'm hoping that the rudder will be effect enough at this size, easy enough to increase its area if needed.

Steve,

If all goes well I will submit my plans to Kevin, though I will have to build another to get build shots good enough for print.

Rich

Edited By Richard Harris on 18/01/2020 11:16:05

Had to wait several hours before the fog lifted to undertake some trimming flights of the Whippiteer, when it did lift it was glorious with not a sniff of wind.

First hops saw the model pitch upwards so I added more down trim, in the process I had got too much rearward tilt dialled in and had a strike on the fin. That was stuck back on and it was away again, it was still flying with its tail down but I could compensate with my thumbs for today.

I will add more negative shim to the blades as I only had a thickness of masking tape today, this will help spin up and bring the nose back down.

It flies really well and can easily be kept within the confines of the patch, rudder authority is good.With plenty of power to hand and its light loading high alphas can be done yet can pick up a pace and fly like a fix wing.

Video footage was taken, I will upload this later on. For now a few ground shots under better light as I was on my own.

I'm really, really pleased with this one smiley

img_8932.jpg

img_8933.jpg

img_8937.jpg

img_8971.jpg