The Whipitteer

Richard Harris

Well, I didn't have look far to find the RC Flyer magazine. A couple of years ago I ordered RC Flyer August 2014 for the Sopwith Camel plan, I thought the cover picture looked familiar Thanks Rich for posting the cover picture.

Now I have the plan I will contact Derek Scott as suggested to blow it up full size or maybe even scale it up myself.

I see there is a thread on RC Groups that I should probably read through too.

Thanks again.

Phil.

• 2 weeks later...

Top Australian Gyronut Chris has sent me a few snaps of his completed Whipitteer, I am sure he wont mind me posting them here and is sure to chip in.

He always goes his own way using the materials he has to hand and has made a cracking job as usual, I like the way he has done his mast and the neat cowl.

Looking forward to a flight video which is expected smiley

whipitter 3.jpg

whipitter 6.jpg

whipitter 4.jpg

whipitter 1.jpg

whipitter 2.jpg

Rich

dsc01328.jpgdsc01325.jpgdsc01324.jpgManaged to get one test flight in today. t'was one of those non event flights .,compared to some that can be a real handfull. Point into wind ,allow the head get up to a nice speed... apply a little throttle and it lifted up as if going up on an elevator. I hardly realised that it was airborne..... all controls felt very light and was a pleasure to fly followed by a helicopter landing in about an 7-8 mph wind. Hope to get video later but unfortunately it was pretty overcast today.

Today I went with an ROG compared to my usual hand launch asdsc01318.jpg I injured my shoulder in a Zimmer frame race with one my friends . our wheels made contact and we hit the dust .wink

Happy Landings

Chris...

Nice one Chris,

Reassuring to know things went as planned, obviously it does concern me about the talk of zimmer frame racing, something Ive never heard of surprise

Clearly the accident is why your tail plane is mounted opposite to mine smile p or maybe its being located in the lower hemisphere?

Looking forward to the video, great photos by the way wink

Rich

Rich

It's a bit embarrassing that I missed that ...and it's also a bit of a worry that you have only now just mentioned it.BUT the good news is that it does not matter how you put it ...it still fly's.

Zimmer frame racing is quite a spectator sport in this part of the world and has even been mentioned as a future Olympic event.wink

Chris...

dsc01342.jpgAfter a couple more successful flights it became apparent that I had problems seeing this model.Duck egg blue was very good fo the underside of a spitfire but possibly not the best idea for an autogyro, and so I have added a pair of contrasting colour wheel pants and some large decals to give me a fighting chance .I live with hope.smiley

Chris...

Posted by Richard Harris on 16/03/2020 16:27:29:

Looking good Malcolm smile d

Are you going to go with a cowl like Chris's?

The plan is to do a cowl, I've modelled one in CAD, just need to kick the 3D printer back in to action, and then decide if that's good enough to use or make a plug from it and Vac form from the print.

Malcolm

Had a few hours up at the field today testing various blade combinations. It was a bit strange chatting with the extra distance between the members who turned uo but it was worthwhile.

A couple of snaps with the Whipiteer fitted with a two blade head, these blades are Panther jobs.

My friend builds replica GT40s for a living and one of his options for the chassis is the use of a carbon/ alloy honey comb unit (Im told its the same stuff used in F1). I managed to scrounge some off cuts from him, the carbon can be peeled off the honey comb with ease and put to good use. I have made the flexible blade holder from it and it seems to work well.

A flight video to follow.

Stay safe

20200322_153119.jpg

20200322_150009.jpg

20200322_135552.jpg