Funny caption ideas?

Cliff 1959

I actually thought she looked like a Red Arrow waiting to take off lol. I was (wisely) hiding behind the wall drinking chocolate, it was getting hard to stand upright and the hail was intermittently coming down. Her instructions were to wait until the rainbow got brighter!

Some great captions though. I thought Richard's windsock quip was quite amusing.

Some way off, odd thing is I've stood there numerous times.

Next time you're up there, assuming you don't already know, have a guess at the purpose of the random vertical wooden stakes sticking up at various places on the plateau of Hamel Down.

There is also an interesting memorial to a WWII crash site at the northern end of Hamel Down.

Guess where I went today, 100 yards visibility but that just served to give the scene a very eerie feel, quite moving actually, just to stand and remember. I think the posts were to stop enemy gliders (?) from landing on top of the Downs?

Here's a picture of me with one:

cliff with anti-glider pole.jpg

memorial stone words.jpg

memorial stone front.jpg

Edited By Cliff 1959 on 28/12/2019 16:31:36

Edited By Cliff 1959 on 28/12/2019 16:32:01

Edited By Cliff 1959 on 28/12/2019 16:34:52

Bang on Cliff, they were erected to deter, stop or damage any enemy aircraft from using it as a landing site. Not sure how plausible it was for the Germans to land there but as you know Dartmoor played a big role in WW2 and a lot of D Day prep went on there, there aren't many flat places in and around Dartmoor that weren't already in use by the Allies so maybe it was a sound precaution.

There was a temporary airfield near the Okehampton Range Camp long since farmed over.