The Norwegian Gnat Squad

Serious shaping... Any language this sounds better?

img_6813.jpg

And the result. I did use templates to check how far to plane and sand. I used a plane first on 45 degrees. Thereafter 120 grit paper on a block, 180 grit on a block and 180 on a sanding swamp and finished with 240 loose in the hand. Very smooth now.

Regards, Lucas

Edited By Lucas Hofman on 14/04/2020 21:27:16

I don't think I've ever used my balsa plane so much before. I've built the Provost, now halfway through the Gnat. Got the fuselage all planed / sanded, fitted intakes and planed / sanded. Just planed the wings to profile ready for sanding. It's looking great now it is starting to take shape.

Best to finish all work on the fuselage first before fitting the wings. To take a hacksaw and point it at a nicely sanded fuselage it not my cup ot tea.

img_6846.jpg

But it ended well:

img_6847.jpg

A latch at the back does not look good to me: the "bridge" of balse between the hatch and the cheat hole has the fibres the wrong way to take any force outwards, which the latch will do. So it will be magnets at the aft corners for me.

Tomorow fitting of the wings!

Cheers, Lucas

Edited By Lucas Hofman on 26/04/2020 17:14:05

Posted by Lucas Hofman on 30/04/2020 10:11:19:

This part I always enjoy:

i made the rudder horns from 1mm ply. Mostly to save weight, but also because it look better seen from the top (no plastic clumps on the moving parts)

Cheers, Lucas

It's looking good now, and yes I did the same with the horns. In my case I had some 1mm glass/epoxy board and it seems quite solid once installed with the bonus of nothing visible seen from the top.

Dick

Finished with the bottom, on to the top. All tailsurfaces are in place now. A little tension was needed to have the fin exactly upright:

img_6870.jpg

The radius of the turtledeck behind the cockpit is quite small, and I noticed on Tony's foto's a split in the balsa. As a preparation I wetted the balsa with ammoniak and warm water and bended i around a kit cartridge. I will do the same tomorrow with something with a slightly smaller radius so it will glue on the former and tail without too much tension:

img_6871.jpg

Cheers, Lucas

Edited By Lucas Hofman on 01/05/2020 05:45:40