20 years out of date !

Paul Bromley

Hi All,

I have bought myself a helicopter after being away from them for 20years, so somewhat out of date. The advice I am looking for is, I have a 550sx helicopter and wonder what spec cyclic servos to use ? I am long in the tooth, so now will be gentle sport flying none of this which way is it up stuff LOL !. I don't want to break the bank as I have lots of other stuff on the go, any recommendations appreciated ? !

Paul.

Im not brilliant at flying heli's. I can loop and roll but its not really my thing and i find my t-rex 500 a very nervous machine to fly as it, like your machine, is intended for a great deal more than i do with it.

You might want to talk to a shop like midland or someone who knows heli's well and can recommend setup changes to make it more friendly. I suspect you can drop the head speed a little, use softer dampers and do other magical helicopter related things to calm the whole thing down.

If you aren't going in for aerobatics, and the model isn't particularly heavy or fast, then any standard size, decent quality servo should do. Some of my older mid-size scale machines are still flying quite happily on JR 591s!

You don't need digitals for the kind of flying you suggest. I would recommend ball-raced outputs, though. The Hitec HS-5485HB is particularly good value for money. It is digital, has a karbonite gear train, and the servo shop is offering four for £67 inc vat! I'm currently using Hitecs in both a NOS Schluter HeliBoy and a re-furbished Schluter HueyCobra to good effect.

Futabas are also good, but tend to be quite a bit more expensive! You pays your money, etc...!

Cheers,

--

Pete

• 1 year later...

I have a lot of Hitec Digis and the only issue I have is that the 56xx s are slow coming to centre, also I have a couple - also 56xx where the metal servo arm has very slight play on the splines which I cured by using thin plastic film which made the arms much tighter on the splines.

Tip

If you find that after assembly of your control runs you have slight play in either the control horn / quickilink or servo arm / quicklink this can be eliminated as follows.

Remove quicklinks and dip the pin ends into light oil, wipe off oil with tissue and re-assemble.

When all is nicely centred put a tiny drop of medium cyano onto the control horn/pin and leave until set - say 30mins.

Turn on radio and move the control quickly from end to end, the cyano bond will give way on the pin leaving a no play connection.

!