Flight video of Curtiss HS2L sub hunter in Feb 2020 RCM&E

Jon Harper

I thought some might be interested in the attached flight video by my friend Chuck which was the second flight of my 1/12 scale Curtiss HS2L.

You will see that it flies very well off land. Later flights from water were very pleasing as well.

Watch the video to the end and you will notice a change in the motor sound when two things happened. 1- a battery cel voltage sagged. 2- the motor mounting table shifted. Both of these occurrences caused a significant loss of thrust, resulting in a tip-stall as I tried to turn away from the forest.

Lesson learned: Glue the struts supporting the motor table, ensure all batteries are fully charged and balanced, always keep some throttle on, even on landing.

Happily there was little damage, and since then, the plane has flown very well from water too.

Yours, Jon Harper

Video link below

**LINK**

Thanks David. It was really interesting to design, build, and fly. It is odd how noisy the pusher prop is because it has to cut through the air turbulence coming over the wing. There is tremendous drag and lift so the difference in air speed between 3/4 throttle and 1/4 throttle is not a lot. No loops or rolls for this plane

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Hi Jon

What a beautiful model!  I noticed in the video that it seems to be dragging its tail a little in the turns.  A little rudder mixed in with the ailerons may help.  It could also be an indication of a slightly rearward CG - might be worth investigating.  With the high thrust line it will be pitch up when the power comes off making it prone to tip stalls - as you discovered!  A more forward CG may help.

• 5 weeks later...