TN Hawker Hunter Mini jet

Thanks for your replies guys. I have seen the notch in the front of the wing on another build, so I have cut a section out already. I thought it was more to do with getting the pack in through the hatch, rather than its position. I have blue foam so I will make a spacer to locate the pack. I might also look at some cooling inlets near the nose too. Cheers

Adding cooling slots might be ok but the fus is rather packed with equipment so I doubt the airflow would be enough to add significant cooling to battery

if our 2 models are a judge then power is not an issue with this model . It cruises on half power so limit the battery current draw with throttle - you will get better flight times as well.

It’s slippery like the Gnatt so just go and enjoy

steve

Adding cooling slots might be ok but the fus is rather packed with equipment so I doubt the airflow would be enough to add significant cooling to battery

if our 2 models are a judge then power is not an issue with this model . It cruises on half power so limit the battery current draw with throttle - you will get better flight times as well.

It’s slippery like the Gnatt so just go and enjoy

steve

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, this is my first-ever build. I'm about to hinge the ailerons but the plan seems to indicate to simply adhere them to the lower surface. Aren't you supposed to cut a slot with a slotting tool and put the flocked mylar hinges in the slot? These wings don't seem thick enough to cut slots in however. Thanks.

Hi Tim,

I cant remember exactly what the plan says but you could hinge these surfaces with hinge tape or even covering film if applied properly. I just cut a slot in mine with a craft knife and used mylar/CA hinges on mine. Whatever you go for, just make sure you can give it a bit of a yank and nothing comes apart. Clearly don't pull too hard since this is small and want have huge forces on it.

Jump in if you have any questions.

Gary

Hi Tim,

All my models for this size, gliders, power and electric use 10mm by 20mm mylar strip hinges. Just slit the trailing edge with a knife blade and the mylar is so thin in slips in ok. Just make sure the hinge is roughed with sandpaper. I used to use cyno but you had to be quick or it could stick half way in !!. Now and for the last few years i use UHU por which give plenty of time.

Never have I had a hinge 'pull out' during flying with this system and if concerned on ailerons I just add another hinge..

Steve

Edited By Steve Jones 2 on 17/06/2020 17:09:06

I used small pinned hinges on mine and secured them with epoxy. The precautions that you have to take is to coat the working part of the hinge with a thin coating of silicone grease and put a few extra holes through the portion that goes into the wing. This stops the hinge being glued up tight (I've only done it once) whilst the extra holes ensure the glue keys across the joint.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi everyone. I have successfully maidened my Hunter now, so now time to finish the scheme. I have covered it in the red and white livery of the RAF Halton gate guard. Can anyone suggest a source to get some decals made, the registration and roundels etc please? Cheers

• 1 year later...