returning to bungee flying, big smiles

Geoff Copping

I've been out of flat field thermalling for some years but recently felt the urge again.

In the past I've built Bird of Time, Sonata, Algebra etc.

Researching what's available these days, I settled on an Art Hobby Odyssey 2.7m. Because of various circumstances it's taken me a year to build it but today I finally got to launch it on its maiden flights.

I'm smiling now and intend to carry on smiling for some time to come.face 1

A virtually windless morning with bright sunshine so I was a bit worried that it might stall on launch. I use an 8mm cotton-covered rubber bungee so plenty of pull.

After 4 or 5 hand-launches to check trim it was time to bite the bullet. On a half-stretch first launch it just cruised straight as a die up the line. A gentle stall at the top and it was into a beautiful flat glide and short flight. The spoilers brought it to a gentle safe landing.

A couple more launches got me back to full stretch and it then went up in a lovely steep climb and ping-off. On this flight it didn't go up but it stopped coming down and it became obvious that it was holding some very light lift resulting in a good 4-5 minute flight. I've no doubt that this glider will thermal on a Rabbit's burp and, as I say, I'm still smiling.

I did get back into soaring by buying a ROC Hobby 2200 electric foamie, which helped me regain my confidence, but there's something special about flying a pure thermal glider.

I also have a Strike 3 DLG.

It's great to be back and I'm looking forward to some big booming summer thermals.laugh

For a bit of near constant bungee fun many years ago, I built from a free plan the Holland Gnat catapult launch glider, (If I remember right there was 3 models on the plan, the Gnat, EE Lightning, and one other).

Span was in the region of 18" . Just two channel, elevator and ailerons. All balsa sheet construction.

A shortish rubber bungee was used, (with no line), to send the Gnat as fast as possible horizontally, then in to a vertical climb as high as possible. A few turns, dives and loops, rolls, and it was all over in a few seconds, but great fun and near continuous flights.

You tried to land close to where the bungee ring was, walk back stretching the rubber as much as you dare, then off again.

Not exactly 'thermalling', but a great break from hunting thermals.

Posted by Martyn K on 05/02/2020 14:53:19:

Geoff

Have a look at F3-RES designs and perhaps have a go on the F3-RES postal league hosted on the BARCS forum

Sounds like it may be what you are looking for

Martyn

Hi Martyn, I used to fly in the postal league with Algebra 3m, rolled ply fuelage, and in the Peterborough Winter League with a Calypso Contest 3m off a winch many years ago but had a couple of heart attacks so had to pack up.

John Stevens Eliminator 134 was popular then and, at Buckminster SF Nationals last year, I saw Trackers are still 'go to' models in 100s

Might give it another look, thanks.