Building a Depron Vulcan (smallish)

Foxfan

Polyester base coat WILL eat normal foam but was ok on my EPP model . Always do a test before painting any material in doubt .

Polyester base coat is a solvent based colour paint used on cars etc then coated with a clear 2k laquer .

Water based base coat is now available and will coat foam without damage but you will need spraying equipment and then give it a coat of Ronseal or similar to protect and seal it. The water based paint will be ok on any type of foam.

Good luck

Edited By Engine Doctor on 09/02/2020 08:13:29

Edited By Engine Doctor on 09/02/2020 08:15:15

Hi Foxfan, I'm a bit late to help you with this build but if you use EPP/DEPRON/FOAMBOARD again this is how I finished my model.

My blue Cutlass ( see my album ) has an EPP fuz and DEPRON wings. It was covered in lightweight glass cloth and Wilco water based poly varnish. Grain then filled with a mix of varnish and light polyfilla, then sprayed with a cheap rattle can.

Once allowed to harden the poly varnish seems to protect the DEPRON from harmful solvent.

This finish isn't my idea, but it does protect the model, and make it long lasting. My Cutlass has done over 400 flights and still looks ok.

Ron

That's interesting Ron, as it seems to go along with the people who use what they call Polycrylic by Minwax. I think perhaps any polyurethane finish will act as a barrier.

Do you use the Wilco varnish as a laminator for the light weight glass cloth instead of polyester or epoxy?

Cheers,

Martin

Yes Martin, just lay the cloth on dry and brush the poly through. When dry trim around the edges and a few coats of poly- filler mix, light sanding in between with a final coat of poly before spraying.

The glass takes compound curves well on the fuz. and formed the hinges on the elevons.

Ron

• 1 year later...

I have found the best paint for Depron is Valspar masonry paint from B&Q, our local one will mix any colour from a sample, I took a a colour for a Mustang I built and the scanner copied it. It is water based and matt a 235g tester pot cost £3 that is a lot of Humbrol tinlets at over £2 each. Richard Wills of Warbird Replicas put me on to this he uses emoltion which comes in matt or sheen but they did not have the matt pots in when I called so I took the masonry which is smooth and as it is for outdoors it  should be good for our use.

Eric r.