Whippish

Outrunner

Hello. After reading the Whippiteer thread I was enthused to have another go at getting the hang of flying an autogyro. It might be a while before the Whippiteer plan is publish so I've decided to build a Whippit, Rich pointed to the RC Flyer magazine from August 2014 that has the free pullout plan of the Whippit which I already have tucked away.

I thought I also had tucked away some EPP foam but this turned out to be 6mm depron. Hmm. So I decided to build a model based on the Whippit using a liteply frame with depron skinning keeping all the dimensions the same.

Not being a true Whippit I'm calling it Whippish being a ripoff of a Whippit, I hope you don't mind Rich smiley

If there is any interest I will post some photos of (slow) progress and hopefully I can try to fly my Whippish this spring when the flying field has dried out.

Phil.

Rich

Thank you for your approval! Iv'e made a start and I will try to post regular updates and hopefully some flying shots!

I scanned bits of the plan as a PDF and enlarged by 143% and printed out the formers full size (the plan with RC Flyer was reduced to 70% full size). This photo shows the underside former extended the full length of the fuselage as I using 6mm Depron and not 9mm EPP. The cut out for the battery pack was extended to take up to a 2200ma pack if need and the cutout for the rudder servo moved back. Must get a new cutting mat!

whippish fuselage 1.jpg

Agree with Denis, its all WIP, certainly not messy as you can still see it!

I like to see these builds by folk as you always see better ways of doing things, one such is your battery box that runs to the bulkhead. I will borrow that idea if you dont mind?

You'd be surprised at just how many Whippit inspired autogyros people have come up with over the years, some fine examples, I must get an album together of their efforts if there is interest?

If this rain holds off I'm off up the field later with mine as I am going to try shorter blades smiley looking forward to more build photos smile d

Rich

Rich. I've scaled up the rotor blade dimensions from the RC Flyer plan and it gives me a rotor blade size of about 61mm by 400mm. Is this correct.

I've got some 1/4" X 3/8" spruce and cut some 1/4" X 2" balsa to make up the blade but looks huge. Is this right?

Many thanks. Phil.

img_20200229_152237.jpg

Edited By Outrunner on 29/02/2020 15:46:02

I enlarged and printed the blade section then stuck this to a piece of thin ply

blade template.jpg

Then marked around template onto end of blade blank, as Rich recommended I'm making four blades

blades 1.jpg

Nice new blade in the David plane and roughed out the profile

blades 2.jpg

Roughed the leading edge

blades 3.jpg

Now the trailing edge and ready for final sanding

blades 4.jpg

I'm following Steve Jones blog within the Atom Special thread on blade making, this has been really helpful, thanks Steve smiley

Rich

I'm enjoying making the blades, it much nicer working with ply and balsa than depron. The model is now painted although it was a bit of a disaster, I will explain and post some photos later.

I can come up with a close estimate of all up weight tomorrow as I have everything to hand and I'll put all the bits on the scales.

Thanks again.

Phil.

I had some enamel spray paint sitting in the cupboard, flo red and flo yellow, perfect for a nice bright colour scheme. I tested on some scrap depron to see if there was any reaction, it was OK on the shiny part of the depron but the cut edges reacted.

So I had a bright idea, I got at tester pot of the brightest red emulsion paint I could find and painted this all over but it came out a bit dull, so I then tried spraying the flo red but the can gave up. So then I tried spraying the flo yellow but it just looked like a boil has burst over the red paint and looks awful. Ho Hum, it's fairly bright so hopefully I will be able to see it in the sky.

whippish painted.jpg

The pilot is ready to go....

Should be finished soon.

Phil.

Getting close to finishing now, all the gear is just got to connect rudder cables and fit a prop. I can't find any mention of balance point on the plan, anybody know where this should be? I can't do the usual finger under the mainspar trick on an autogyro!

Hopefully the weather will calm down a bit so that I can get down the flying field.

Phil.

Phil,

Looking good smile d

Regarding the CG, if you hang the model finished ready to fly from the mast it should have a nose down attitude. This angle or hang angle as we call it should be between 12 and 20 degrees using the tail plane as the horizontal datum, somewhere in the middle is ideal.

Clearly, the greater the hang the more rearward tilt is likely needed to be added to the rotor disc.

Once trimmed a good test to take it up and chop the throttle, it should descend with a forward glide, if it hesitates, rotates then weather cocks into wind it needs a little more nose weight.

Rich