Scratch Build Twin

G-JIMG

Hi,

Being an avid model maker, and having retired from being an Aerospace Chief Engineer, I have decided it's time to build a scale model of the last aircraft I was responsible for, a military conversion of the King Air 350.

There are no kits available for the King Air, so this will be a scratch build at 1/10th scale. The main driver behind the choice of scale is the availability of stock parts such as wheels and 4-bladed prop spinners. At 1/10th scale they both equate to a convenient 2" diameter.. Also, the King Air's 4 bladed props scale down to 10.5", which is achievable by trimming down an 11" APC prop, with the added advantage that trimming allows for the correct tip profile.

At this scale the model will have a 69.5" wing span, so I will build the wing in two halves and then permanently join them. Also, although I am a dyed in the wool petrol head, this will be my first excursion into the world of electric motors and LiPo batteries.

I'm certain there will be a fair amount of manual cutting and sanding later in the build!

However, for now I have continued to 'cheat' and have drawn up the fuselage and nacelle frames and put them through the CNC machine. (If you've conned your way onto Santa's good list, make the most of it I say!).

20 fuselage frames.jpg

Yes please keep posting. Good to see the CAD CNC route in action.

I flew to King George Island from Punta Arenas in a King Air 300 some years back. It’s about a 4 1/2 - 5hr flight with the point of no return 10 minutes from the island. A radio call to the Chilean base that operates the landing strip is made 20 minutes prior to eta to check conditions and if too windy to land the plane turns back to Punta Arenas. Thankfully our flight was good to land, otherwise thats nearly 10 hours flying with no toilet on board 😱. The top tip prior to our flight was ‘don’t drink anything until on terra firma’.

G-JIMG, just because people are not replying is no indication that people are not interested.

As a youngster I was told if you have nothing to add then don't open your mouth (or type) and I think there is nothing worse that people chipping in off topic for pages and pages that other at a later date have to plough through.

Watching with interest

PS Mod feel free to delete this as IMHO its off topic

Made progress with the wing today.

For aileron control I am using a Futaba 3150 Servo and a homemade RDS (Rotary Drive System). The drive is via a 1/8" diameter steel rod passing through a short brass sleeve at the TE. The Aileron pocket was made using carbon fibre strips separated by 1/8" plywood. The pocket is securely glued into the aileron so it cannot flex, and the rod is a very snug fit in the pocket to ensure there is no flutter.

6 aileron control.jpg

40 aileron pocket.jpg

41 aileron pocket installed.jpg

Jim.