templates?

ERIC DODSWORTH

i have a terannis x9d and am struggling with it it has open tx installed has model templates to create models as i only fly fixed wing i dont have heli i dont want quad but cant get rid is it possible to get firmware similar to the old turnigy that has basic mixing like the throttle cut and the like

i have no need for global functions and custom switches

any help making this radio more user friendly would be nice

thanks for that i have a 9x that is so much easier to use things like throttle cut and basic wing mixing are on a seperate page and easier to set up the tarannis seems to be more quad focused

i have eeskype and companion installed as i needed to flash for a multiprotocol module it just seems to be getting so complicated now

i think i am going to have plenty of time on my hands to try and get the tranny to my liking now

thanks for your reply

With plenty of indoor time on our hands, it might be worth persevering with OpenTX. I was converted to it when I found that my Futaba couldn't do what I wanted (throttle cut on two separate channels) and, once over the learning curve, I now find it quite easy to program anything I want without templates. Starting, as it does, from first principles, I don't see that OpenTX has any bias towards quads -- I'm flying mainly fixed-wing with it, but also have one flybarred heli, two flybarless helis, and a couple of quads. The flybarred heli was the one that took the most head-scratching for me.

I must confess I find OpenTx difficult to program on my Taranis but, using OpenTX Companion on my laptop, it's a doddle.

Allen, you may not be aware but erskyTx has similar capabilities to openTx, not surprising since openTx was forked from er9x. If Eric has been using er9x, then transferring to erskyTx will be easy.

With erskyTx, I have tried to make navigation on the radio much easier, have a look at my album that shows a couple of screen images.

I've also made an effort to make updates easy. I've kept the storage unchanged though many upgrades, even though it makes writing the firmware a bit more difficult.

FrSky offer the XLite with the option of erskyTx or openTx, and many people do find using erskyTx easier.

Eric: If you were using er9x, then you should be able to transfer models. Open eepe and read the EEPROM from the 9X. Now run eepskye at the same time and read the EEPROM from the Taranis. Then just drag and drop models from eepe to eepskye. Then just write the Taranis EEPROM. You will need to check switch assignments as the number and type of switches are different on the two radios.

Mike

Edited By Mike Blandford on 29/03/2020 12:32:28

tried dowloading er9x for terannis which is a bin file that both eepe an companion dislike it is an invalid langusge for companion i havn't found anything that seems to open it so that i can install looks like i am stuck with what i have

i sort of gave up on trying to set up open tx when it took nearly 3 weeks to set up flaps and flapperons on a pnic biplane

three differant flight modes all sort of mixing and servo reversing up ellevator with down flaps while still having aileron control just about managed it on the computor then transfered to the tranny to find out some controls were reversed that just through a huge spanner in the works and now flying is so rare everything needs learning afresh every time

i have to admit i bought a radio that does a lot more than i need and its nice that i can use almost any rx thanks to the irange module any help in making it eassier to use would be brilliant

You don't need to open the .bin file.

Start the radio in bootloader mode (both horizontal trims held to the centre at power on), then connect up the USB.

Then just run eepskye (not eepe), click on the "Flash Firmware to Tx" icon (or select the "Burn" menu and choose "Flash Firmware to Tx", select the downloaded file and confirm the flash operation.

In case you want to revert at some time, it is a good idea to read the EEPROM from the radio first, and save it as erskyTx will re-format the EEPROM.

Mike

Posted by Mike Blandford on 29/03/2020 12:29:12:

Allen, you may not be aware but erskyTx has similar capabilities to openTx, not surprising since openTx was forked from er9x. If Eric has been using er9x, then transferring to erskyTx will be easy. ....

I was vaguely aware of the relationship between erskyTX and openTX, but I didn't make the connection between it and "the old turnigy" which he mentioned. But since Eric already has openTX, why change to erskyTx rather than just figure out how to program the functions he wants? indecision

Possibly because erskyTx is easier to use! He want's "throttle cut", erskyTx provides a safety switch menu where you just select a "sticky throttle cut" function.

I've often been asked about openTx "I know it will do X, but where do you find the setting". Navigating the openTx menus, on the radio, is quite awkward at times, erskyTx provides an easy to navigate menu index page.

erskyTx also provides easy to configure "Voice Alerts". All the things you need to make an alert are in one place, instead of needing to set up logical switches, and special functions separately.

There are quite a few users who definitely prefer erskyTx!

Mike

• 1 year later...

There is a Facebook group called OpenTX .otx repository which provides model profiles. Also a programme called just fly which has a model setup contains most of the functions of the common complex functions required. So you can learn how that programme sets functions out and just follow the setup.  

Search on justfly rc