NEW POLL - Has home isolation prompted you to start trad' building?

James May has started a build blog on a Keil Kraft Invader on Twitter because of the lockdown. It's a shame that he's not posting it on here.

I had lost my modelflying mojo a couple of years ago but cleared my bench at the weekend with a hope to complete a couple of unfinished projects.

At the moment I'm doing a Cyril Carr depron model. It's the Fokker DR1 from the free plan in the Nov 2007 RCM&E mag. I'm also waiting for two kits to arrive, the Cyprus post is very slow due to the no flites and lock down. What I'm waiting for is a Guillows Corsair F4U and a Sterling P61 Black Widow. Both of which I shall rc them.

Chris

Hi All,

Yes the KK Invader build sorts out the boys from the men 😀 52 years since I built my first one @ 12 years old, it seemed enormous at the time, now run out of balsa cement, almost a shame to cover it ??

Regards Rayimg_20200410_192531.jpg

Edited By Ray Wood 4 on 15/04/2020 07:23:23

This week, I have been mostly building wings

panic_wing_building[1].jpg

Last week it was one of these

panic_fuselage[1].jpg

What surprised my was the 'Made in Pakistan' sticker on the box, I wasn't aware that they had any kit manufacturing industry there.  Very nice lazer cutting though some of the wood density was probably a compromise between intended function and clean cutting.

Edited By Bob Cotsford on 15/04/2020 10:39:01

my building has ground to a halt as i seem to be dealing with a never ending stream of engine rebuilds. I currently have 4 on the go with the OS40 i am attempting to rescue, an ASP160 twin in need of bearings, an SC400 radial in need of more or less everything and getting a full makeover with new pistons and shot blasting, and finally an OS91 im sorting for a customer as a weekend job.

As soon as my bulk order of bearings arrives i will start making progress and then perhaps i can get back to balsa bashing

Edited By Jon - Laser Engines on 15/04/2020 10:45:19

• 5 weeks later...
Posted by David Ashby - Moderator on 30/03/2020 09:47:40:

At a user suggestion, are you using the time to get a project underway?

Edited By David Ashby - Moderator on 30/03/2020 09:53:29

Not really. I've always had some sort of model plane under construction (I don't bother with ARTF's) since I was about ten years old so 'The Virus' hasn't made any difference.

• 1 month later...

Being furloughed is the kick up the proverbial to get all those 1/2 done projects completed. The only problem is they have to compete with the work on the house/car/garden.

I was tempted to start a new project just for the furlough period but I need a new project embargo as it was getting a bit silly!

Lock down combined with retirement last September has enabled me to move building to number 1 slot. Finished a Wot 4 Saito 82 powered, now working on a Galaxy Mystic that I started in 2012, Saito 125 for that. Then a choice of a Ben Buckle Falcon, Acro Wot or a recently purchased Warbirds Spitfire. Also on the list for a Warbirds Mustang when they become available.

Stolp starletWent through my plans drawer. I have had a plan for a Stolp Starlet for ages so decided to give it a go. I have completed the fuselage and am now starting on the wing. Not a great plan and I have made a lot of alterations to give strength where I considered it weak. I will post more pics when it is completeStolp Starlet