Focke Wolf Ta 154 Laser

Such hard luck Chris after you had put in all that time and effort into researching the aircraft, building the model, flying it, repairing it and adapting it to fly better.

As for another home for the Lasers I've alway liked Mike Booth's Bristol Blenheim. I have a pair of Lasers but doubt if I have the skill to build it let alone fly it! https://www.sarikhobbies.com/product/bristol-blenheim-7-plan/

Edited by David Davis

Thanks everyone for your comments and David D, I'll have a look at the plans and see what options I have.

I have a long list of improvements for the Ta154 and being a glutton for punishment might just have another go. If its a Bristol Blenheim or a Ta154 it will still need to be built and what's important to me is its an known good flyer. The alternative is to see if there is a suitable Warbird Replica model that would convert to IC or an ARTF, but I can't find anything suitable that's available. VQ do one but not available and Motion RC is possible but eye watering expensive in one payment!

• 3 months later...

The engines have been sitting at the back of the bench and the tail section generally getting in the way under the bench which means there is only one thing to do!

Focke Wolf Ta 154 mk2 

There a bunch of improvements that will be incorporated although the main focus this time around will be:

• Build this as light as possible
  • Increase the wingspan by a few inches
  • Increase the horizontal stabilizer area by a little bit
  • Incorporate an adjustable horizontal stabilizer (like on the plans)
  • Thin the vertical stabilizer cross section and reduce the gap to the rudder
  • Lighter version of the nose wheel retract
  • Reduce the sheeting thickness as I'll be glassing it again

Now don't get too excited as I will be cutting a loads of holes in most of the parts to get ride of some weigh before getting the glue out, but could not resist a couple of photos until I was evicted from the kitchen table. ?

image.thumb.png.918db1abb7b40d437754ebdb9d4d9091.png

image.thumb.png.6741363c220e94d6a7bb088d508e20c0.png

Now for a bit of detail

The wood (ribs, bulkheads and spars) come out at a total weight of 961g which I'll weigh once I have thinned it out over the next couple of weeks + coupled with the thinner sheeting and other changes should get it down to a more comfortable wing loading. 

• Like 3