2m f3a plane. Lexicon.

If the bend is too tight for the balsa to get round i will plane a curve into the end and then just run a sanding block over it. Also i'll put a little chamfer along the whole edge which really tightens up the joint.

I'll also tack it to each former with thin cyano to help hold it all together while the glue dries.

Its a long process but worth it in the end. The only other way i can see to do it is with block balsa and shape it after. Would probably end up heavier though

Posted by kc on 05/04/2020 00:10:05:

An amazing piece of construction ........am I the only person to wonder whether such a bulky fuselage is really necessary for modern aerobatics?

These, although they look like aircraft, are actually airships and you need the bulky fuselage to get enough helium inside to lift it.

This was found to make the aerobatics much easier as all you have to then do is point the airship in the right direction and open the throttle to move it that way. The wings and so on are just for show.

They don't like to admit this, of course, it's very hush-hush which is why no-one ever mentions it.

I dont usually take many pictures of the wings. They're pretty basic in thier construction. The only issue i had was the sheeting along the leading edge. There is a compound curve because of the curved LE which makes the sheeting bulge between each rib.

The bulge doesnt rise as much as the thickness of the balsa though so you can sand it out after the leading edge stock is glued on.

20200209_130241.jpg

20200210_223908.jpg

20200213_161841.jpg