2m f3a plane. Lexicon.

Its finished now. Its all sprayed up and ready to go.
Im pleased with how its come out, it was a bit of a learning curve as i've done minimal spraying in the past and i was spraying onto covering.
I made sure the covering (easycote) was properly ironed down because if i wrinkles in the sun there is no way to iron it back down with the paint on.
I started with the fuselage, all the black was put on first to outline the design then masked up. I made the mistake of using 3m tape and not testing it as it bled a lot, its not that noticable but a bit annoying. I rubbed all the white with a scotchbrite pad to key it and cleaned it degreaser.
I do have a compressor for spraying but thought i'd get a couple of cans from halfords first to experiment, they worked well enough for me i just did the whole model with them.
I used insulation tape to mask up the wings, it worked much better leaving a nice crisp line, bit trickier to put on its quite flexible and harder to keep straight.
So overall i'm happy, how well it will hold up though is another matter!

20200327_121204.jpg

20200503_142729.jpg

20200503_172236.jpg

20200503_172251.jpg

20200503_172259.jpg

Very nice, and fine craftsmanship Dan.

What's the thinking behind the tips?

You've already chosen a wing profile that should be quite close to optimal when it comes to drag & tip vortices.

Would it be worth using riblets to help keep the wing sheeting in check?

Nigel r- the winglets are to try and increase the side area and help with rudder authority. I've heard they may help in windy weather aswell.

Im not sure what you mean re riblets and wing sheeting?

Sr‐71 - yes i remember reading your build thread, do you still have the model and how did it fly?

Martyn- it came in about 4700g with lipos. Very happy with that, especially considering i didnt use contest grade balsa, just soft grade. It was half the price which is a lot when you need 70 sheets!!

• 1 year later...