First Warbird?

Nick Somerville

Thanks Danny. Yes 45cc seems about right for the 81” size. I do think quite a few of the builders across the pond build heavy, hence putting in 100cc. I looked up for Sep’s plans but could only find a Tempest and Hurricane. Do you know if he designed a Fury? If I went for the Bates plan it would have a Laser v twin n for sure

I wish the ESM/YT models were still available. I have their 80 inch sea fury and its a monster with a laser 360 at the pointy end. Its smooth, stable and generally on rails but its very sensitive on the controls ( i loop it on 3mm elevator deflection), heavy at 23+lbs and takes no prisoners on landing. If they were available i would recommend one in a heartbeat, but it is a step up.

If you find an alternative at the same span and around the same weight i think you will really enjoy it. Just remember that its thinner laminar flow wing is a lot less forgiving than an earlier war aircraft like the Hurricane, Spitfire or P47.

When it comes to engine power dont worry too much about what the Americans do. They tend to build really heavy (like 16-20lbs being considered normal for a 60 inch warbird) and use massive engines to hoon around at 200mph. Its 'awesome' i am told. Anyway an 80 ish inch warbird of 18-24lbs will need something in the 30-60cc range depending on the weight, type of aircraft and so on. The sea fury is a late 40's monster, one of the ultimate piston fighters. It needs to really go and mine feels right. A MkI spitfire of the same specs is not in the same league when it comes to scale performance.

• 1 month later...
On 29/01/2021 at 17:36, Nick Somerville said:

Thanks Danny. Yes 45cc seems about right for the 81” size. I do think quite a few of the builders across the pond build heavy, hence putting in 100cc. I looked up for Sep’s plans but could only find a Tempest and Hurricane. Do you know if he designed a Fury? If I went for the Bates plan it would have a Laser v twin n for sure

My Sea Fury is getting a 53cc flat twin. This is an XYZ engine. Basically 2 X Turnigy 26cc on one crankcase. I am not sure this engine is still available. The plane is a Bates plan

Laser cut by Belair.