Kyosho T-33 Shooting star

Paul Marsh

For many years, I had this T-33 Shooting star, and flew just about ok but only for 3 mins with a 1600mah 10 cell SCR Nicd cells.

Believe it or not, the motor still works, but draws 56 Amps !!!!crook

Took the motor and fan out (5 mins) and looking for replacement. The model is not in top condition, but never was crashed, so either convert it Brushless motor, but the holes must line up. I have some EDF motors, but only for 63mm fans and holes are too small, anyway...

kyoshot33fan (1).jpg

kyoshot33fan (2).jpg

I lost my kyosho T33 last summer after many years of brilliant flying due to a servo failure !

I had one of the originals that was hopeless and it was quickly moved on . Fast forward a few years and lipos and brush less motors appear ! I found an unstartted kit at Old warden swap meet for £45 so the mods began. I threw away the original fan and motor and bought a 4s 70 5 blade fan off eBay. The battery compartment needed modifying before the fuselage halves were joined to take a 4s 3600 lipo. The compartment was then glassed and fuselage joined. The model ,from standard is transformed and will easily launch into vertical flight from an underarm launch. A brilliant model !

Given what I have learned about edf I would definitely fit a 10 blade fan and balance before installing to get a proper jet sound.

If I could find another untouched/ unstaffed kit I would buy it in flash ,price permitting.

Will put pic on later when on PC as tablet is useless and keeps changing words ! Predictive text that I can't turn off !!

You won't be dissapointed .

Enjoy.

Edited By Engine Doctor on 04/04/2020 13:43:57

I had one of these with the original AP29 brushed motor and Kyosho fan on 8xSanyo RC2400 NiCds and it flew, but wasn;t exactly inspiring. Only flew it a few times, as I greatly preferred the F-16.

I put an Astro 805 brushless in the model years ago, with a Wemotech minifan and went to 10x1950FAUPs. The performance was improved, but the noise was horrendous due to the fan blades catching on the shroud. Hung the model up for years.

A couple of years ago got it down and stripped off all the grubby stickers for a refinish and lipo transplant. Haven;t taken it any further with the housemove, but rather than waste that nice motor I should get the model fettled for when we can get back out flying again, hopefully later in the year.

Just got mine down out the loft doesn't look in to bad condition,luckily I still have the canopy.I have a 70mm 6 blade fan should run with 4 cells.I think I will cut the fuselage in half remove old fan and install new fan,then repaint it as it It a bit grubby.Give me something to do in the lockdown.

I had the F16, but it was pathetic. The T-33's wing is much more suited to the low power of the then EDF's. It it's too slow, just lands under power, but best let to skim the ground then let the speed build up before gently easing the elevator. The F-16, needs lots of power and by the time if got to flying speed, it was on the deck. Hopeless!

f16-3.jpg

Posted by Paul Marsh on 04/04/2020 15:10:55:

I had the F16, but it was pathetic. The T-33's wing is much more suited to the low power of the then EDF's. It it's too slow, just lands under power, but best let to skim the ground then let the speed build up before gently easing the elevator. The F-16, needs lots of power and by the time if got to flying speed, it was on the deck. Hopeless!

f16-3.jpg

My F-16 was much better than the T-33 and went really well. Unfortunately destroyed when the battery pack retention failed and the battery fell backwards through the fan, destroying the impeller and in the resultant crash the fuselage was shattered beyond repair. I still have the wings.

• 5 months later...

I had the F16 too. I really liked it. I did the mod that was featured in one of the mags ( I forget which one.) which did away with the two wing servos, and linked the ailerons to the elevators -- going, strangely I thought in the same direction - left elevator down, left aileron down. ( I was expecting it to be more like a CL stunt arrangement) and it worked really well - it had an outrageous roll rate and though nowhere near as fast as anything modern, it was fast enough for me. I gave it a high vis colour scheme, and Chris Goulds put it in his column in S&EF.

Paul: any chance of a video once you get it sorted?

Here's my F16:

pict0019.jpg

pict0021.jpg

pict0022.jpg

I converted my F-16 many years ago to a Wemotec Minifan and a Plettenberg brushed motor which flew better on round cells. I keep meaning to get it back in the air with lipos. I would like to try it with the current setup but I've not been able to find a 60a lipo cut off compatible esc. I could just carefully set a timer I suppose, not that I fly to a cut off BTW!