Stand or sit

SR 71

I've gone back temporarily to a temporary workbench, which is a drafting machine table, so the height is too high really to sit, so for the moment I stand. For the past half a dozen years I've been using my ex-office desk as a workbench, with reduced headroom as it was located in the eaves of the house, so that was all sitting down. I prefer to stand.

Sitting.

With large tool cupboard within reach (a triple wardrobe much modified -I do have to get up to reach over to the third section). Unfortunately, to get to building materials I have to get up and take one step to the side.

Yes its a small room, limits my builds to about 6ft span.

• 3 weeks later...

I like to sit to build, but do machine work standing up. I have my little shed setup so i can sit at a my bench and work on most things aero but I also make static scale stuff and scifi stuff., The other end is raised up to kitchen worktop hight. On my high bench I have drill press, bandsaw, sanding machine and a small CNC router, my sitty down side has electronics dev/repair area and 3d printing space,

I have to sit most of the time as I have a damaged knee and a done in hip... no been replaced yet.. dont want too.

I usually stand but that makes my back ache sometimes. I made a workstand thing that goes in my bench vice to allow small items to be worked on with a straight back. Got the idea from a utube video of a high end watchmaker factory in Switzerland. It doubles as a fretsaw bench and a flat cutting board. The black cutting board is a discarded chopping board from SWMBO. It works very well for me and also has the advantage of moving small items nearer my aged eyes.

workholder.jpg

workholder 2.jpg

Maxg

+1 for standing. It never seems to be tiring till I come back into the house and sit down and then I feel like I've walked a few miles! As I always seem to end up bending over or twisted into an odd shape while I fiddle with something that's buried in the build I also end up with back ache! Sad, I'm getting to be an old git! Oh, alright then, I am an Old Git!