Hitec Aurora 9 / 9x LCD screen

Peter Hogstrom

Hi everyone.

I have a Hitec Aurora9x that I bougt 2014 and it has served me very well all these years an till last week when the touch funktion just give up.

Now i read on the different forums and also on Youtube that there are more then me who has problem with the screen. I can't buy a new screen in Sweden , ther is none to buy. I found here in UK but you have left EU so buying from UK will cost me the half price of buying a new radio.

My question. Does anyone now if HItec has upgraded there LCD screens or are they the same design from the Aurora 9 came out or are they inproved?

I have so many TX and telemetry kits that I would like to buy a new Aurora. But I am afraid that I will burn my money if the screens are still unreliable.

Does anyone know ?? ( Sorry for not corrct english, I am Swedish)

BR Peter

Hi Anthony.

Thank you for the respond. It is strange what you say. Here is what the Swedish news say about the Brexit. I used Hoogle translate.

The UK's exit from the European Union, also known as Brexit, was formally initiated by the UK Government's withdrawal request on 29 March 2017 and was enforced at 00:00 CET on the night between 31 January and 1 February 2020.

And the shipment cost for the screen is between 31 to 45 £ to send me the screen from UK.

I have never played so much in shipment before. Not even when I buy my Lysander from SMC. And if I go into Swdish Customs site and look they say I need to pay taxes on the stuff I buy from UK.

So this is why I ask the question here about the Aurora radio.

Br Peter

Peter

It's confusing, yes the UK left the EU via Brexit on 31st January 2020, but we are in a transition period until 31st December 31st 2020. So, until the end of this year we are still in effect still in the EU following all the customs procedures etc as before. As of next year, who knows what will happen.

I too have a Hitec Aurora 9 that fortunately still works, but if and when it stops I have a lot of receivers and telemetry gear than will be useless. When it finally does fail I will switch brands, hopefully to one that does not drop it's support like Hitec have.

Can you get a new screen direct from Hitec or maybe Germany will be a good place to try as Hitec own Multiplex.

Stay safe.

Phil.

Hi Phil.

Yes it is sad about Hitec. Got a mail from them that they say that they have discontinued both the Aurora 9 and 9x radio. They whant me to contact Multiplex in Germany. But that site is in German. I have wrote to them but no responce. Probably becourse I write them in english. The German sites can be little stubborn in thease matters.

But if I change brand to what? Futaba seems to be top on the line. But outseide my salary range. And they have so expencive RX . Just feel little sad at the moment of these problem. But I guess i need to look at other brand.

Thanks for the responce Phil. Stay safe you too.

Peter

Peter,

ive got an Aurora 9 that developed a fault so I don’t use it, I bought another to use as I love it too. I’ll happily let you have the first one at the cost of the postage. But, I can’t send it until the current lockdown is over.
Ive got no idea how easy it is to swap the screens though.

Hi Bucksboy.

THANK YOU!!

Maybe my flying season will not be over before it starts!! I will be more than happy if you can send me your boken Aurora 9.

I understand this lockdown becorse of Corona virus will get som problem. But I will try to figure out to send you a private message with my address. then you can send it to me. And we need to figure out how I can send you the money.

Thank you so much again Bucksboy.

• 7 months later...

Hi Robert

Not sure about those numbers.....

In a survey on this forum in 2018, 34% used Spektrum with 25% using Futaba.

I can't imagine that would have changed dramatically - if anything, I'd expect those numbers to fall and FrSky (using Open TX) to have increased.

Usual advice would be for a learner to use the equipment they can get most tuition with - more difficult these days! For those past that stage it is a more complex choice that comes down to functionality, price, ergonomics, perceived quality, ease of use, reliability, popularity in your club etc. etc..

There are many threads on here (and other forums and Youtube to help (or otherwise) but beware of some very strong opinions.

Personally, I have had MacGregor, Skyleader, Futaba, Radiomaster, Multiplex, Spektrum, FrSky (and Hobbyking for a car). Currently using a Taranis X9D 2019 SE - now seems a little dated but I can't see me replacing it unless I have to as it is capable of doing far more than I need and I like it smiley.

Good luck,

GG

I bought my first Optic 6 on 35 meg around 2006 after my Futaba TX gave up on the elevator stick. It took a while to get used to the programming but then second nature. I then bought my second Optic6 when 2.4 came in I upgraded to a Flash 7 when I had some spare monies still reliable systems. I then went overboard and bought a Flash 8 3 years ago when on special offer at a model shop on line. So far touch wood never had any problems and 7 receivers still working well.

Hi Robert.

I have been in contact with HITEC. And they tell me when I ask why I can't find someone who sell Hitec radio anymore.

They have stop manufacuring new radios. They produce servos and charger and other things but no radios.

That made me to do over to Radiomaster TX16S. I can use my 9 Hitrec recievers on that radio. I am flying now my indoor with a Minima 6E Lite and a outdoor foamy with a Optima 7. Binding very easy and I have so far not had any issues. I will start to fly my balsa warbirds next summer when i feel more confortable with the programming of the TX16S. I don't think Hitec has started up yet the production of new transmitters. I was in contact with them this summer. My my info is a few months old. But when I go in on there website there is only Flash 7 and Flash 8 radios. But I cant find any modelstore who have them in stock.

I have been happy with my Aurora an till this year when the screen give up and I have alos something with the motherboard. Multiplex in Germany tell me so. I have probblem with the trimms that adjust them self and I can't reverse the servos from the radio. Thats why I whent from Hitec to Radiomaster.

Hope you find your radio that you will like and feel confortable with.

Stay Safe. Peter

I love my Aurora 9 which I bought 2nd hand a few years ago. As I've recently got into thermal soaring gliders I wanted the telemetry function with speaker function to tell me my height, and as Hitec telemetry modules are no longer available I've purchased a used Graupner MX-16 for this purpose. I'll still use my Aurora for my slope soarers for as long as it works but will gradually migrate over to the Graupner over time.