Gary's Ballerina Build

Thanks Guys.

I'm glad you think it will he helpful Peter. I'll take a closer photo of it tomorrow so it's clear how it is set up at the servo.

All the white is done as far as covering is concerned and on to the red tomorrow. I've put a coat of balsa loc into the cockpit area and will try and paint that at some point tomorrow as well. Need to make some landing gear legs and then she will be ready for a maiden (a taxi around the garden) in a few days!

Gary

Top job on the cowl Gary it looks really good 👍 I always go for servos in each wing for Ailerons , never seem to be able to get the geometry right with a single servo yours looks to work perfectly. What fuel proofer are you going to use on the cowl 👍 I used clearcoat in the past but have now run out and can't locate more , been looking at Rustins two pack I know some people are using that.

Paul.

Funny you mention that Paul, I spent a while researching last night about what fuel proofer to use but still haven't come to a decision. It definitely seems more difficult to get a good performing fuel proofer these days. I think Rustins looks like the popular option and I don't mind investing in the 1L pack as I will need to Fuel proofy 1/4 MothMinor soon as as well but I've never used it before. Anyone have any experience of this? Is is effective? Can it be sprayed or brushed on?

What are people using now? I've tried Varnish before but the results were not great.

Gary

Rustins is the only one I can find that is clear the stuff I had from local model shop is more like a varnish . That ok for inside the engine bay but I want to paint the edges of film trim to stop peeling so need really clear stuff, have not had chance to try Rustins yet so might give it a go on one of my older models first.

Paul.

I managed to get a couple of hours this afternoon so got the wing pretty much done. You will notice a distinct lack of originality on my model with regard to its covering but I really like Peter's choice on his so as the old saying goes "if it ain't broke...."

I'm not great at, or particularly enjoy, covering but it's ok. A couple of wrinkles at the wing tips that you probably wouldnt notice unless you looked closely. I'll get the vinyl cutter out and get some bits and bobs on it to tart her up a bit

20200507_190602.jpg

Edited By Gary Clark 1 on 07/05/2020 19:15:37

This is where we are at now Gents. She is pretty much complete but just need to fit a windscreen and the pilot. The red paint I had is too dark so will repaint that as soon as I can get out and buy something closer to the red of the covering. I still have to get the vinyl cutter going to put some extra decals on but that is easy enough and I'll get that done over the next couple of evenings. It's fair to say that this is a cracking looking little plane and hats off to Peter for designing this little cracker but also for doing so in a way that is very enjoyable to build. Also, thanks for the help and advice Peter. We all appreciate it

20200509_174523.jpg

Thank you guys, all very kind comments there.

I've really enjoyed this build and there seems to have been some interest from you guys following along. I've got a few larger scale projects to finish off but will be starting something new soon. I think I fancy something high wing and acrobatic so something like a Citabria or decathlon but not sure. Anything of yours along those lines Peter? Let me know of you guys have any recommendations.

Gary

Hi Gary.

Well you might like one of my favourite designs. Rhapsody. The first in my Angels series.

58" span, elliptical high wing model and fully aerobatic on a .32 two stroke.

This model has eventually been retired due to age and fatigue. The wing is standing in my workshop with a big label which states "This wing is to be glued, screwed or nailed to my coffin lid"

Well, they may not give me wings in the next life so I am taking my own!!

You can buy the plan and precut parts from ADH publishing

**LINK**

The only modification needed is to reinforce the former that holds the U/C so it doesn't come loose from the fuselage.

I've always liked the look of the Peggy Sue 2, especially after seeing Marks build on it. The Rhapsody looks brilliant and I am a sucker for an elliptical wing. Very unusual to see on elliptical wing on a high wing aircraft so that could be the one. What would your thoughts be on scaling it up to around 65-70" span? Or keep it as it is?

Gary

By all means scale Rhapsody up, should be fine.

I am not sure what power you would want at that size.

The wing is no harder to build than a normal one ecept that you ahve to mark out and cut each rib separately but ADH list a set of cut parts.

It uses 2 degrees of washout and they never bite..That is easy to build in.

I've never scaled up a plan before, I've always just built as the plan came but I like to try something new with a build so this could be it for this one.

I have emailed to see if ADH can scale it up for me and if not I'll get one ordered and see if I can get it scaled up somewhere else.

I think a 52 2 stroke would work up to 70" but i usually like to see it up close before i decide. No science, just if it looks right or not!

Gary