DW Models T30

Hi Guys
Read Rob's log on the Astro Junior and Shaun's on the Space Walker caused me to look on George's site. Got a lot of projects on the go, so this might not have been a wise move, but hey ho.
Anyway, came across the T30. Not sure I need another trainer in the fleet, but it's just so darn pretty.
So, money changed hands and the kit arrived a few days ago.
Initial impressions are good quality wood, and lots of it. Kit only cost £100 and not sure if I could buy that much wood for less.
Also included was a roll of red film and two of white to sweeten the deal.
This is not going to be a quick build, but I've started on it and noticed a couple of oddities.
First of all, despite being, I assume, cnc cut, some of the parts which are laminated together did not match. The two layers of the front bulkhead, for instance, were some 1/2mm different in width. No biggy to sand down but strange.
Also some of the ply parts were twisted. The instructions were minimal, but I get the impression this was designed to be glued together 'in hand'. Not a great idea.
I do like bananas, but from Tesco, not 4-max.
So I am assembling the front structure one piece at a time, clamping it in a SLEC jig to dry.
Also it is supplied with two 3mm steel bolts for the wing fixing. It is designated a trainer, but one imperfect landing would wipe out most of the wing structure.
Dug out some 5mm nylon ones from my spares box.
Nothing a bit of lateral thinking couldn't sort out, but 4-Max describe it as possible first or second model. Not quite sure about that.
Finally, a question.
Like the other models, the front ply structure is clad in balsa sides. However, on mine the sides are full depth which gives an area some 21" x 4" to be glued.
That's too much for my usual Titebond. Also, the sides will define how accurate the complete fuselage comes out, so not keen on Evo Stik. Too much of a 'one chance' deal.
So, any suggestions?
Cheers
Jeff

Just an observation Jeff, this looks a strong build, as a 1st Low winger

But you can finish it and fly it in your own style

For the low wing Novice, this model has everything

Nice thick wing profile, parallel chord, trike undercarriage and upright motor.

I would happily sell that lot as 1st Low winger

Lovely build, designed for sucess

Hi Guys, thanks

Rob
Seem to recall Thixofix had a few seconds to move around before it grabbed. That might work but, like you, I haven't seen it for a while.
Looking at pictures of you Astro build, seems the ply inner structure is only fitted to the lower section of the balsa outer.
On mine the ply inner is full depth which gives me an area some 21" x 4" to be glued.
Using Titebond for the majority of the build.
Not keen on that over so large an area.
Anyway, still thinking.
Did find some epoxy laminating resin at the back of the cupboard.
Might try that.

Denis
Agree with you to a certain extent. From the layout it would make a fine first low winger. However 4-max seem to be suggesting a first or second model overall.
Anyway, my main concern is this. Having built a few kits now I can see areas I'm not happy with and rectify them as I go.
Would a noob be able to do the same? Not sure that they would.

Just my thoughts

Jeff

Hi Guys
In his build thread Shaun posed the question whether DW had ever built one of their kits themselves before offering them for sale.
The more I get into my build the more valid that question is.
Seems to be one thing after another.
I am sure once done it will fly well, but it's taxing my 70 yr old grey matter to get it done.
Having enough grief with the fuz, yet to tackle the wings.
Still those to look forward to.
Cheers
Jeff

Hi Guys

Did I say I was looking forward to the wings? Got that wrong, didn't I?

Only done a dry fit so far, but uncovered some major issues.
First, spars. These are laser cut from the softest balsa ever. In fact I managed to break one just by handling it. Also, in order to fit the box these are supplied in two parts. However, they give you only just enough length, so the two sections need to be butt jointed. At least if they made them just a little bit longer they could be scarf jointed, which would help.
Still not strong enough, imho, so they will need replacing.
The spar webs are plywood, but still;l!!!
I was using the spar webs to set the ribs vertical. All going well until I noticed the inboard three webs were not, in fact, square.
These are supposed to be cnc cut, what went wrong?
Luckily enough spare stock in the box to re-make these.
Now the front le sheeting. Although of fair quality, the grade varied from soft to very hard. The soft would bend easily over the curve but not the hard.
As supplied there is a thin ply sub-le which glues to the front of the ribs.
This was cut too wide to fit the rib fronts so would need trimming down to fit. Impossible to do 'in situ'.
Anyway, seems to me that the le sheeting glued to the edge of the thin ply would not provide anywhere enough gluing area for a strong joint.
So the ply le is to be replaced with balsa. However this means the le sheeting is not wide enough, so that will need replacing as well. Ho hum.
Bit of a battle this one.
Would question why it is suggested as a first or second model.

Cheers

Jeff

Hi Guys
Interesting developments.
Having had some issues with my T30 build I e-mailed George at 4-Max with my concerns.
He in turn gave me contact details for a lady called Mona, who is an agent for the company.
I contacted her, expecting not much in the way of response, but in that I was pleasantly surprised.
Got a reply very quickly, thanking me for my input.
She did specify that this was an old design (2017) and that the kits had been improved of late, mainly due to customer input like mine.
Certainly does reflect very well on the company. She said that the company was considering whether to discontinue the model or upgrade it. My thinking is it's such a pretty model that an upgraded version would be popular,
In addition, she has offered me a free sample of one of their newer kits, a T09 Aeromax, to see how much they have improved.
That's customer service above and beyond.
Well done DW
Jeff

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Hi all, I’m in the process of putting my own T30 together. Anyone mind if I tag on with my build on to here?

So far I’ve assembled the fuselage, laminating all the various parts with ether Alphatic or super phatic!, so far so good.

Front end gone ok, but back end had a bit of an issue, when all slotted together as it had a pronounced twist to the tail post. Shorted by the Flair building jig. 

Jeff I think you had similar issues with yours? 

With hindsight I think it would be better to make up two complete sides first then add the formers.

Turtle decks have gone on ok but one side is much harder than the other common fault with DW kits.

Speaking of common with DW kits, the build complicated by the short lengths of wood used. just love butt joining all the span-wise wing bits spar’s etc..

Instruction; don’t get me started! But it is a little better than the Cloud Dancer I’ve just reviewed not by much.

Currently assembling the wings, interesting design!

• 1 month later...

Hi Gents,  My T30 is finished and had one quick check flight.

I have a question about the two hatches on the bottom. I assume they were used with an IC version, as a place for the RX battery. My question is, at one end the covers are held with two 3 mm bolts, but nothing at the other, and no notes in the manual (you would expect nothing less), I’ve added wooded blocks and screwed them down.

What has everyone else done?