AngelWings Blink

I spotted these and thought that for £35 it would occupy a few hours. The kit comes as a mixture of laser cut poplar ply and balsa sheets. At 300mm wingspan it's intended for small multirotor motors around 2000-2500kv running on 3 or 4S packs up to 1000 mAh and two micro servos. I have a 180W BL-2208/12 motor, 20A esc and some MG90s floating about so I put my name down for one of the first batch. Andy sends these out as a bagged kit inside a cardboard box. It's an eggbox construction with two of the spars having extensions to act as jigs, the ribs slot onto these then the remaining spars slot in from the top locking everything together.

I only meant to see how good the laser cutting was and within an hour I'd got this:

blink_and_its_half_done.jpg

another hour and:

angelwings blink.jpg

I remember that Mr Ken Anderson did one recently but unable to find his Pages..

I built a Vector from plan but the sun has created damage to my model in the garage so was looking at getting one as an alternative delta wing model and with that wing profile should fly better than my damaged flat wing Vector

Posted by Bob Cotsford on 01/05/2020 18:24:48:

I spotted these and thought that for £35 it would occupy a few hours. The kit comes as a mixture of laser cut poplar ply and balsa sheets. At 300mm wingspan it's intended for small multirotor motors around 2000-2500kv running on 3 or 4S packs up to 1000 mAh and two micro servos. I have a 180W BL-2208/12 motor, 20A esc ................................

Is it 300mm span?... doesn't give the span on the website... looks bigger.

I really enjoyed putting mine together, probably the best kit I have ever assembled and a good lockdown project. It's a shame the way IAD treated the designer but it happens when success is involved.

Rumour has it there are a few new designs in the pipeline from Andy, have you seen his variable thrust 4 motored flying wing?

Here's mine bare bones

20200418_151639.jpg

Edited By Richard Harris on 01/05/2020 22:06:03

Posted by David Hall 9 on 01/05/2020 19:54:07:
Posted by Bob Cotsford on 01/05/2020 18:24:48:

I spotted these and thought that for £35 it would occupy a few hours. The kit comes as a mixture of laser cut poplar ply and balsa sheets. At 300mm wingspan it's intended for small multirotor motors around 2000-2500kv running on 3 or 4S packs up to 1000 mAh and two micro servos. I have a 180W BL-2208/12 motor, 20A esc ................................

Is it 300mm span?... doesn't give the span on the website... looks bigger.

Oops, 300 half span, 600mm total! 2' in old money.

Richard, I don't agree that it's a good lockdown project. No fettling needed, everything cut to exact shape and size - literally Blink and it's built! What was your final weight RTF Richard?

As for the stuff in the AWD pipeline, I have a couple of cheap and nasty fan units from HK and I'm hoping one might be the right size for the twin rudder model design shown on the fb page.

Bob,

Sorry for the delay in replying. My AUW is 314g with a 3s 500mah Lipo onboard of which it balances pretty well on the money. I opted for MG90 servos, 20a Esc and a full sized FAAST Futaba receiver, so I possibly could of saved some weight there.

I am awaiting a set of decals to complete, its hard to resist popping out for a test fly!

Rich

314g? Mine is nearer 270 with the same MG90Ds, a 2822/12 less battery and 390g with a 1300 3S Graphene pack. At the moment it's got an FrSky D4R receiver while I'm awaiting delivery of an X4R. I have some 1000 2S packs which I used for gentle pottering days with my Little Bit (RIP) while the 3S were reserved for fresh underpant days. I also have some 450 3S heli nanotechs that could be ok for short bouts of lunacy.

Oddly Andy said his prototype came in at 230gm less battery, I didn't think I'd overdone the glue that much!

The motor's an old oddity from GiantCod days, I have three identical ones kicking around, one labelled A-2208/12 which is in this and two BL-2822/12, all made by Suppo and all 1800kv. Don't ask me what the difference is apart from age.

I officially have another 7 or 8 weeks under lockdown, I don't see that happening to be honest. Can't do the time!nerd

Bob,

I have had several flights with mine now and its a blast, typical delta really as it will slow right down or open it up and it gets a move on.Yours should be even better being lighter! hang in there, 7 weeks will fly by, its just not worth the risk.

A few snaps of mine and a quick video I made today.

20200515_165453.jpg

You will enjoy it for sure
Rich

Excellent Richard! Did you balance it on the third spar or a little further back, and how much up does it need for neutral? I don't suppose you put a wattmeter on it by any chance? Mine settled out at 170W after an initial peak around 180W with the 1300 sGraphene pack and balances dead on the spar with the pack pushed back almost to the servos.

Bob,

Mine balances about 5mm behind the 3rd spar, I haven't put my watt meter on the set up as I don't have the adapters, will see if I can make something up. These little quad motors are 6s capable, at the moment 3s is more than enough for me though I do have some small 4s packs for braver times. My battery is as far forwards as I can get it, probably down to my receiver in the main fuselage as it wouldn't fit on the mounting tray (to big).

Reflex on the elevons is around 1mm, I had too much in to start with and had to quickly trim it back.

Rich

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...